• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reuben Foster = Aldon Smith II?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You disagree which is fine, but isn't that what i said?!

"But going into the draft, this can't be a big influence on what they do."

I interpret that as saying anything to do with Rueben Foster arrests/suspensions/unknown future wouldn't be a big influence on what SF does on draft day. I believe SF drafts under the impression that Foster doesn't even exist.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I interpret that as saying anything to do with Rueben Foster arrests/suspensions/unknown future wouldn't be a big influence on what SF does on draft day. I believe SF drafts under the impression that Foster doesn't even exist.

Ok so i say 99 and you disagree because it should be 100. No problem here.

100 sounds nice and all, but you can't totally ignore your current team. Foster is part of the team and his situation does have a little effect. The effect is non-existent for maybe 3 rounds, but it does have a little consideration afterward.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so i say 99 and you disagree because it should be 100. No problem here.

100 sounds nice and all, but you can't totally ignore your current team. Foster is part of the team and his situation does have a little effect. The effect is non-existent for maybe 3 rounds, but it does have a little consideration afterward.

...and as I opined, I simply disagree.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if value is best at ILB, then draft him whatever round that is. But we all agree you don't "force" a LB because of Foster's situation.

The draft is mostly about the players on the board, not what's on your team or happening to your team. This isn't saying it is only the board, but your decision is mostly on which players present most value.

If ILB is the top rated player I agree take the ILB. I believe someone better will be available though.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The issue is he will be back and they know this. To force a LB at #9 if that player isn't the best available is mistake I don't see them making.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is he will be back and they know this. To force a LB at #9 if that player isn't the best available is mistake I don't see them making.

Besides injury, would you guarantee that Foster lines up week 1? Week 4? Week 8? They don't know when he'll be back.....and given that this is the 'Aldon Smith/Reuben Foster' thread, it's very appropriate because it was one incident after another for Smith....and he'll likely never see an NFL field again.

It may be a different regime, but that's irrelevant.

Secondly, by most every mock I've seen, Roquan Smith is still on the board when SF selects. By no factor would that be a 'force.' That would be an excellent pick whether Foster is there or not.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides injury, would you guarantee that Foster lines up week 1? Week 4? Week 8? They don't know when he'll be back.....and given that this is the 'Aldon Smith/Reuben Foster' thread, it's very appropriate because it was one incident after another for Smith....and he'll likely never see an NFL field again.

It may be a different regime, but that's irrelevant.

Secondly, by most every mock I've seen, Roquan Smith is still on the board when SF selects. By no factor would that be a 'force.' That would be an excellent pick whether Foster is there or not.

It would be a force if Smith isn't the best player available. Just because a guy is still in the board doesn't mean he is the best player available. If he is take him.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a force if Smith isn't the best player available. Just because a guy is still in the board doesn't mean he is the best player available. If he is take him.

Not really. S. Barkley is rated by many as the best player in the draft. Forget about #1 overall....if by some chance he fell to nine, it still wouldn't be a 'force' to take R. Smith. Currently, there are no edge rushers (SF's biggest need) rated higher than Smith other than Chubb...and it's highly unlikely he'll be there at 9.

In the end, Roquan Smith would be a great pick. He can either replace Foster outright, of pair with him to form an awesome duo that will be needed to stop the Rams and Gurley in space.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. S. Barkley is rated by many as the best player in the draft. Forget about #1 overall....if by some chance he fell to nine, it still wouldn't be a 'force' to take R. Smith. Currently, there are no edge rushers (SF's biggest need) rated higher than Smith other than Chubb...and it's highly unlikely he'll be there at 9.

In the end, Roquan Smith would be a great pick. He can either replace Foster outright, of pair with him to form an awesome duo that will be needed to stop the Rams and Gurley in space.

If a better player is available and you select a different player that then you are drafting purely on need and not in who is the best player. The 49ers aren't good enough yet to pass up superior talent based on need. If Smith is indeed the best player than take him if not then don't.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a better player is available and you select a different player that then you are drafting purely on need and not in who is the best player. The 49ers aren't good enough yet to pass up superior talent based on need. If Smith is indeed the best player than take him if not then don't.

By that reasoning, SF should take a QB if he's the highest rated player at the time they pick?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By that reasoning, SF should take a QB if he's the highest rated player at the time they pick?

It is never either/or with draft picks. If we simply went BPA, then Ricky is right we could be drafting a QB with the first pick. Or if we simply drafted based on need, we might take a player who might not be the best pick at the number. The 49ers have a number of needs, some more than others. Edge Rusher, DB, and oline. You kind of have to factor BPA against the team needs. If Nelson is available, I would probably take him one.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is never either/or with draft picks. If we simply went BPA, then Ricky is right we could be drafting a QB with the first pick. Or if we simply drafted based on need, we might take a player who might not be the best pick at the number. The 49ers have a number of needs, some more than others. Edge Rusher, DB, and oline. You kind of have to factor BPA against the team needs. If Nelson is available, I would probably take him one.

Yes I've posted to take the best player unless that player is a QB. Ricky is basically saying take Smith no matter what because Foster isn't going to be around potentially ever which I doubt. He got caught with some weed and had a illegal gun in the state of California. I think that is it unless a domestic assault is also involved. He very well could miss half the season or the whole season but that doesn't mean you make a panicked move out of fear. Do they need another LB sure but does that player have to be the 9th pick, no not unless that is the best player available.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The top QB's will likely be gone and if one isn't a trade back would be likely. I've posted in this thread or another the only exception to taking best player available is QB. Any other position would likely be an upgrade over the current starter.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners just signed a LB for depth.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricky is basically saying take Smith no matter what because Foster isn't going to be around potentially ever which I doubt.

No. I'm saying he would be an excellent pick in most every scenario. He fits a need as I have shown (sideline-to-sideline tackling machine who fits perfectly in what SF needs to neutralize guys like D. Johnson and Gurley within the division). There will be no player in this draft when SF picks, that are rated so much higher and fill a far more desperate need, that it would be considered a 'forced' pick should they select Smith. None. He's already considered a pro-ready, high instinct/NFL IQ guy, who is safe because he's clean off the field, which leads to....

...the fact that Foster can't be counted on, and the LB crew even with Foster is maybe average at best. Without Foster, it's a garbage group. That HAS to be considered, and quite frankly, it would be stupid not to be factored.

Put it all together, and there really is no argument to make to convince me that it would be a wrong or bad pick. I'm not saying Smith should be the guy, or is the only choice....but I'll be happy to get a guy like that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I'm saying he would be an excellent pick in most every scenario. He fits a need as I have shown (sideline-to-sideline tackling machine who fits perfectly in what SF needs to neutralize guys like D. Johnson and Gurley within the division). There will be no player in this draft when SF picks, that are rated so much higher and fill a far more desperate need, that it would be considered a 'forced' pick should they select Smith. None. He's already considered a pro-ready, high instinct/NFL IQ guy, who is safe because he's clean off the field, which leads to....

...the fact that Foster can't be counted on, and the LB crew even with Foster is maybe average at best. Without Foster, it's a garbage group. That HAS to be considered, and quite frankly, it would be stupid not to be factored.

Put it all together, and there really is no argument to make to convince me that it would be a wrong or bad pick. I'm not saying Smith should be the guy, or is the only choice....but I'll be happy to get a guy like that.

Your posts crack me up.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying it would be the wrong pick, you and I just don't agree that it's the only potential pick. I would be okay with Smith he's a good player but if one of the top five players is available I'm not sure he is the right pick. Also as much as we all hope Sherman will come back the same he may not which leaves the Niners very thin at CB.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon Smith 2.0 is exactly what I would call him...