• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins Misc News & Info

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaah, for those of us who are old enough to remember...the good old days as a skins fan.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t wait to have Allen back and healthy!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaah, for those of us who are old enough to remember...the good old days as a skins fan.

I remember, I was still in my 20s, blonde, had all my hair ..... chewed tacks and crapped nails. :D

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting role Trent Murphy played here...

By: Lake Lewis Jr | 30 minutes ago

Former Washington Redskins outside linebacker, Trent Murphy, played an intricate role in the new Redskins recovery center.

Just a few days ago, Redskins coach Jay Gruden spoke about the team’s state of the art recovery center to media attending the NFL’s annual owners meetings from Orlando, Florida.

“There’s a lot of these tanks and things that they’ve been using, some of them, on their own,” Gruden said. “Now, we’re just trying to have access so they can use them at the facility. Obviously, our facility is not gigantic… we can’t add too many of them. But it’s a great start for them.

“Will it cure injuries?” Gruden asked as he finished his thought. “A guy getting rolled up on or a shoulder or an Achilles? No. But I think in order to help guys after games recover could be beneficial to everybody. It better be, because it’s quite expensive.”

Some may not have known that Murphy, who was the Redskins 2014 second-round draft pick, was actually becoming a key face of the recovery center; even though he knew he would become a free agent.

I spoke to him at length about the new facilities and what he hopes it becomes in Washington.

“First and foremost, I want to thank the Redskins for the time I had there,” Murphy said. “I’m really excited and appreciative to the [Buffalo] Bills coaches and owner for the opportunity they have given me and excited about the future. I love the role they will be utilizing me in.”

Murphy, 27, then began discussing the recovery center and its inception.

He said that after a loss last season when the injuries were mounting, he approached team president Bruce Allen to find out what could be done for the players to control and minimize what appeared to have become an epidemic.

A staff meeting was immediately called to discuss what could be done to help the players. It was then that the idea of a recovery center was conceived.

Murphy traveled with team officials to Indianapolis during this past NFL Combine to further investigate their vision. He went to a seminar at Liberty University to learn more about the project.

The OLB elaborated on how he was blown away after meeting former Navy seal Jeff Nichols, whom he described as ‘one of the brightest people I have ever met in my life.’

Murphy also gave credit to former Redskins dietician Robert Skinner, who is a performance dietician and exercise physiologist. Skinner has worked with several NFL athletes and Navy SEALs for Naval Special Warfare.

During our discussion, the Redskins’ current Head Team Physician, Dr. Robin West, was given a big endorsement by Murphy for her passion and commitment to the project (Dr. West also serves as the Lead Team Physician for the Washington Nationals).

It’s notable that Murphy was so involved with the center even though he wasn’t under contract with Washington anymore.

“I knew I was going to be a free agent when I first started with the project,” he said. “But I wanted to be part of something that would make the organization better and have a culture shift. I wanted to do something positive for the Redskins. I wanted to help the guys that couldn’t take care of themselves. The pros [on] the team, who take care of their bodies and are true professionals at all time — like [Shawn] Lauvao, [D.J.] Swearinger, [Ryan] Kerrigan, [Chris Thompson] CT and Will [Compton] — are guys who get it. This is to show younger guys that the recovery process is just as important as anything else they do to get better.

“When I came in as a rookie in 2014, Murphy went on, “Guys like [former Redskins players] Santana Moss and Darrel Young were the true pros who showed us how to take care of ourselves and be true professionals.”

In the end, Murphy showed me what the center would cost to exist and it’s very reasonable by big-time money standards. In fact, the cost for the entire thing is equivalent to a game-check for some of the team’s elite players.

The former Redskin had piles of notes, ranging from those about the central nervous system to the effects of stress. They showed quotes like: ‘the player with high-performance recovery tools will have high-performance results [on the field];’ and, ‘By embracing challenges and pushing boundaries, you will start thinking differently and behaving differently. It will create a culture of positive transformation.’

Murphy, whose best season came in 2016 when he posted 47 tackles and nine sacks, said he will be happy knowing his legacy in Washington will be ‘knowing that my dogs will be taken care of.’

He wished the Redskins and the fans well and thanked them for their support during his time in D.C.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Former Washington Redskins outside linebacker, Trent Murphy, played an intricate role in the new Redskins recovery center.

Just a few days ago, Redskins coach Jay Gruden spoke about the team’s state of the art recovery center to media attending the NFL’s annual owners meetings from Orlando, Florida.

“There’s a lot of these tanks and things that they’ve been using, some of them, on their own,” Gruden said. “Now, we’re just trying to have access so they can use them at the facility. Obviously, our facility is not gigantic… we can’t add too many of them. But it’s a great start for them.

“Will it cure injuries?” Gruden asked as he finished his thought. “A guy getting rolled up on or a shoulder or an Achilles? No. But I think in order to help guys after games recover could be beneficial to everybody. It better be, because it’s quite expensive.”

Some may not have known that Murphy, who was the Redskins 2014 second-round draft pick, was actually becoming a key face of the recovery center; even though he knew he would become a free agent.

I spoke to him at length about the new facilities and what he hopes it becomes in Washington.

“First and foremost, I want to thank the Redskins for the time I had there,” Murphy said. “I’m really excited and appreciative to the [Buffalo] Bills coaches and owner for the opportunity they have given me and excited about the future. I love the role they will be utilizing me in.”

He said that after a loss last season when the injuries were mounting, he approached team president Bruce Allen to find out what could be done for the players to control and minimize what appeared to have become an epidemic.

A staff meeting was immediately called to discuss what could be done to help the players. It was then that the idea of a recovery center was conceived.

Murphy traveled with team officials to Indianapolis during this past NFL Combine to further investigate their vision. He went to a seminar at Liberty University to learn more about the project.

The OLB elaborated on how he was blown away after meeting former Navy seal Jeff Nichols, whom he described as ‘one of the brightest people I have ever met in my life.’

Murphy also gave credit to former Redskins dietician Robert Skinner, who is a performance dietician and exercise physiologist. Skinner has worked with several NFL athletes and Navy SEALs for Naval Special Warfare.

During our discussion, the Redskins’ current Head Team Physician, Dr. Robin West, was given a big endorsement by Murphy for her passion and commitment to the project (Dr. West also serves as the Lead Team Physician for the Washington Nationals).

It’s notable that Murphy was so involved with the center even though he wasn’t under contract with Washington anymore.

“I knew I was going to be a free agent when I first started with the project,” he said. “But I wanted to be part of something that would make the organization better and have a culture shift. I wanted to do something positive for the Redskins. I wanted to help the guys that couldn’t take care of themselves. The pros [on] the team, who take care of their bodies and are true professionals at all time — like [Shawn] Lauvao, [D.J.] Swearinger, [Ryan] Kerrigan, [Chris Thompson] CT and Will [Compton] — are guys who get it. This is to show younger guys that the recovery process is just as important as anything else they do to get better.

“When I came in as a rookie in 2014, Murphy went on, “Guys like [former Redskins players] Santana Moss and Darrel Young were the true pros who showed us how to take care of ourselves and be true professionals.”

In the end, Murphy showed me what the center would cost to exist and it’s very reasonable by big-time money standards. In fact, the cost for the entire thing is equivalent to a game-check for some of the team’s elite players.

The former Redskin had piles of notes, ranging from those about the central nervous system to the effects of stress. They showed quotes like: ‘the player with high-performance recovery tools will have high-performance results [on the field];’ and, ‘By embracing challenges and pushing boundaries, you will start thinking differently and behaving differently. It will create a culture of positive transformation.’

Murphy, whose best season came in 2016 when he posted 47 tackles and nine sacks, said he will be happy knowing his legacy in Washington will be ‘knowing that my dogs will be taken care of.’

He wished the Redskins and the fans well and thanked them for their support during his time in D.C.

Good article Cali, thanks for sharing. I liked Trent, he is what I call to borrow a phrase from SM "a football player." Sad to see him go but you can't pay everyone and the team wants to keep Preston Smith.

Having played I understand what they mean (in part) about being in football shape. Having nephews, friends etc. that have played anywhere from high school to pro football you learn how much of a beating your body takes. In the old days it was ice and tough it out. It is great to see the advances in technology and how they can help these guys recover more quickly. I am sure the aches and pains I felt were no where near what these guys feel as the level of play increases.

I am also amazed at how these guys transform their bodies for the season then let it go back to a more natural state as soon as the season is over. One of my nephews who played DE would gain30+ pounds before the season started. I don't mean he over ate either. It was muscle mass. He got up to 245-255. Now he is a puny 215. LOL I have watched Navorro put on muscle mass for the season then lose it in the off season only to restart before the next season.

It has been rumored that the Redskins were behind a lot of other teams when it came to recovery etc. True or not I do not know. I am glad they are doing it now. I think it is very cool that Trent helped. I am not shocked though, many of these guys look out for each other.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One back gone

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its a good thing we let this quality guy go because we couldnt afford 10.4 mil in guarantees s over 3 yrs .

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Taylor still wants to play

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depression is such an insidious disease. I never realized (we usually never do) that Mark Rypie was so afflicted.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depression is such an insidious disease. I never realized (we usually never do) that Mark Rypie was so afflicted.

I read this story last night and I feel for the guy. But I also think we all go through trials in our life. We have to make decisions good or bad and live with them. I have family and friends that can tell a similar story as Rypien's. He made a lot of bad choices. What bothers me with these guys is they excuse their poor decisions on the fact that they played football. If you want to be a man then take ownership of your mistakes and quit making excuses.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this story last night and I feel for the guy. But I also think we all go through trials in our life. We have to make decisions good or bad and live with them. I have family and friends that can tell a similar story as Rypien's. He made a lot of bad choices. What bothers me with these guys is they excuse their poor decisions on the fact that they played football. If you want to be a man then take ownership of your mistakes and quit making excuses.

????

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty simple Sty. Is it possible Rypien had some head trauma, sure. Is it possible some his poor choices were just poor choices? Yes. I can't help but feel that everything that happens to an ex-NFL player is all because of head trauma. Especially one that played 16 games only twice and 10 games only two times besides that.
First of all fighting causes more trauma then any sport. Look at Ali. He never complained, he didn't blame anyone or anything. Personal opinion, I am entitled to it. :suds: