• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds in history

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing Babe Ruth playing at Crosley would be pretty special. Probably wasn't very special to the Babe personally. He stumbled on the LF terrace and wasn't a fan of baseball under the lights which had begun a few days earlier on May 24, 1935.

My personal favorite ticket is framed and hanging on the wall. It's actually two tickets to the last game at Crosley and is framed with the commemorative poster of Crosley Field given away that night. My brother has the other two. June 24, 1970

The game is one of all time comeback victories I've seen. Johnny Bench homers to tie the game in the bottom of the eight and the "Big Bopper" Lee May hits the game winning HR. After the game some fans were taking their own souvineers from the old ballpark. My Mother would never allow us to do such a thing. Looking back now my brother and I agree we should have left Mom at home. LOL

Last edited:

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great question. There are so many. I was at Tom Brownings perfect game. I was also at a game in 75 where Tony Perez Hit a game winning homerun in the bottom of the ninth to bring the Reds back from being down 5 going into the bottom of the ninth. There was as much if not more excitement in that game as the perfect game. At least for me probably because I was a young 24 when that happened.

I would have liked to have been at that playoff game in 72, against the Pirates when Bench hit the game tying home run in the bottom of the ninth, and a few batters later the reds pushed across the winning run to win the playoff series... And I still think the Reds should have beaten Oakland easily that year. that has left a sour taste for me every time I think about it.

I think they would be a lot more games that I'd love to see if I had the chance, All through the Reds history Even outside of Reds History. If I only had my time machine working.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The favorite game I actually DID see was an exhibition game.
I don't know the exact date -- 1972, I think -- and the Reds came to Evansville to play an exhibition game against the AAA team there. That was not a Reds affiliate and I don't recall the details of who/how/why the game was even played. It was during the season. 5,000 or more at Bosse Field (my father in law had gotten tickets) and the regulars played 3 innings, so Bench, Rose, et al, did get an at-bat. Minor league pitchers of course.
Evansville did win the game 3-2 oddly. I need to see if I can find particulars on that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I remember now ... the Reds at the time were affiliated with the Indianapolis Indians and the game they were supposed to play (they did that in those years) was cancelled so the Reds came down to Evansville to play the Triplets instead. The Trips were affiliated with the Brewers, which was still a pretty new franchise. In those years, teams would actually spot their minor leaguers with other franchises to give them at-bats and experience.

Much has changed.

I link this event, which now might have been 1973, to a guy who was playing for the Reds named Joe Hague. I think he got hurt in this game and basically shortened his career.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardly an historical event but in 1915, this was a big deal.
Lick Run vs. Brookville at the local grounds.

bb.JPG

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been lucky to see a few. 6/14/70. It wasn't a Reds game, per se. The '70 All Star Game was history-everyone remembers the Rose / Fosse collision in the 12th to win it for the NL. But I'd like to go back, at my current age, just to talk to the guy sitting beside me back then, one more time.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry..it was JULY, not JUNE.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I link this event, which now might have been 1973, to a guy who was playing for the Reds named Joe Hague. I think he got hurt in this game and basically shortened his career.
I remember that game, I also remember Joe Hague. I remember the game because I thought How could the Reds lose to a minor league team.
I remember Joe Hague , because I thought he was a good back up. Then he just disappeared, for years I wondered what ever happened to Joe Hague? It was sort of a on going joke between me and a buddy of mine. We always tried to call in during rain delays to ask Marty and Joe, What ever happened to Joe Hague?
I don't think he ever played much for the Reds, I think he was a Cardinal for most of his career. I think I got ahold of a Baseball Encyclopedia sometime I'm the early 80's and found the answer.

Thanks for that post John. It brought back some funny memories. My buddy is in a nursing home now I'll have to go out and show him this.

By the way Joe Hague getting hurt wasn't the joke. It was just him all of the sudden disappearing and we couldn't find out what happened. Back then you didn't get information like today.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I'd like to go back, at my current age, just to talk to the guy sitting beside me back then, one more time.

The people we shared the experience with was the best part

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that game, I also remember Joe Hague. I remember the game because I thought How could the Reds lose to a minor league team.
I remember Joe Hague , because I thought he was a good back up. Then he just disappeared, for years I wondered what ever happened to Joe Hague? It was sort of a on going joke between me and a buddy of mine. We always tried to call in during rain delays to ask Marty and Joe, What ever happened to Joe Hague?
I don't think he ever played much for the Reds, I think he was a Cardinal for most of his career. I think I got ahold of a Baseball Encyclopedia sometime I'm the early 80's and found the answer.

Thanks for that post John. It brought back some funny memories. My buddy is in a nursing home now I'll have to go out and show him this.

By the way Joe Hague getting hurt wasn't the joke. It was just him all of the sudden disappearing and we couldn't find out what happened. Back then you didn't get information like today.
I remember the score was 3-2. The weird part was living in Evansville at the time, I had developed a fondness for the Triplets. Had seen them from their first year in 69 before the Brewers took over the franchise from the Twins, hence the name Triplets. Their early rosters had minor leaguers from at least 3 organizations because the Brewers (nee Pilots) didn't have a farm system yet.

The ballpark was jammed that night. I don't even remember when we learned the game was going to be played. It was during the season they announced it. Obviously, the Trips used their regular players and pitchers. The Reds guys hit once and sat down. But the game was well-played.
I do recall that Hague was injured while he was in the field. I don't know if that ended his career or just was part of a trend of him being hurt.

I wish I could remember who pitched for the Reds. Double-A guy, probably. Their AAA team was in Indy at that time. I don't remember when they shifted to Louisville. I know they were in Denver for a stretch of time.

Later, Evansville was affiliated with the Tigers, which was after I left town. Now the ballpark is fairly famous, and is the 2nd or 3rd oldest left. The Otters play there in the Frontier. Florence Freedom is in that league.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been lucky to see a few. 6/14/70. It wasn't a Reds game, per se. The '70 All Star Game was history-everyone remembers the Rose / Fosse collision in the 12th to win it for the NL. But I'd like to go back, at my current age, just to talk to the guy sitting beside me back then, one more time.
One of my fond memories is a game in 76 when a buddy and I went to Wrigley. He was a big Cubs fan and we had gotten press passes. So we're watching and it's the 3rd inning, the Cubs have taken a 10-1 lead; the wind is blowing out. He's gloating. I said, 'you just wait.'
By the time the BRM bats got going, it was brutal.

Here is the box score.

Cincinnati Reds at Chicago Cubs Box Score, August 11, 1976 | Baseball-Reference.com