• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds hitting still sucks

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is finally admitting to having no clue on how to fix the hitting. Cozart, Bruce, now Hamilton. I thought Billy was going to learn how to bunt. He's hitting on the interstate.

Reds test out Billy Hamilton at seventh in batting order Monday
by Brandon Wise | CBSSports.com
Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton typically hits lead off in the batting order during the regular season. However, Monday, manager Bryan Price tried to change things up and moved Hamilton to seventh in the order, reports MLB.com.

"Well, I've moved everyone else this spring. ... I've had guys all over the board," Price said. "Having Billy hit further down in the lineup is just another option for us to see where we're best suited. It's not a shot at Billy. It's a shot at trying to see if we have a way of being more productive offensively."

Hamilton is hitting .179 in 39 spring training plate appearances with four RBI and six stolen bases.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Price's intelligence is overestimated. Hamilton at the plate with Jay Bruce or Marlin Byrd as a baserunner in front of him, is worthless. Where you hit in the lineup is supposed to be about how you hit, not trying to cure why you don't. Besides, anyone considering batting Brandon Phillips in the 3 hole, must be a moron.

Votto is the only guy likely to hit .300 in this lineup, and every single everyday player is likely to K more than 100 times in 500 AB. A few guys (like Phillips) NEVER walk...last year this team hit under .240.....all that speaks to a very inconsistent offense without many productive outs or 3-4 consecutive batters reaching base. Better hit some homers...Hamilton probably should bunt 150 times a season. It might keep him from striking out over 100 times, and might result in 30 more hits, and some more runs. I doubt he will actually get a fraction of that number of tries though.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question Bryan Price's ability to manage this team. Beyond baseball 101, he appears to lack the wherewithal to manage with the egos in play on this team. Even considering batting BP third at this stage of his career is a good example. Price should be more worried about his job at this point than bruising egos.

I believe a good manager needs good communication skills to deal with the multiple personalities in a clubhouse, but when push comes to shove you got to do what's best for the team...egos be damned.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce came into camp in terrible shape to hit. He's a month into camp and his comment is, basically, he isn't worried about the hitting since he's healthy now. The HR he hit yesterday was on a pitch he will never see a Parrots pitcher throw. Hamilton knows what he did wrong last year, so in his defense, at least he appears to be interested in improving. I still can't see the team promoting the bunt in the ballpark where they are convinced hitters thrive.
Yeah, hitters thrive there. The rest of them strike out trying to hit the Kroger sign.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think young guys can and should improve, but approaching late 20's no big strides should be expected. With few exceptions, hitters are what they are by then. I do agree that if Bruce is healthy, we can expect improvement on last years abysmal stats- but I expect only a return to .250/30HR with about 150 K's- not an MVP type bounce back. I love what Hamilton can bring, but this team is going to have to hit HR to survive. IMO, if the Reds had hit the 25-35 HR missing from Bruce, Votto, Phillips and Ludwick's expected total, the Reds would have been in the race to the end.

On the flip side, Cozart has regressed each year-a very Stubbs like trend. Phillips has declined for the last several years-except for the anomaly RBI year 2 seasons ago, and I expect continual decline to the end if his contract considering his age and position. Votto is past 30 now, not so bad for a 1b, but we probably won't see him hit 30HR again, and if he's going to be 2 hitter, 100 RBI isn't likely either. Frazier may only have another year or two to peak, if ladt year wasnt it already. Mesoraco barely scratched the surface, I hope. Byrd is 37. Reds will need another impact hitter sooner than later, especially if the pitching is giving up another run a game.