• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the top NBA markets

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I can read the top of the page...it says "Top Markets"---- certainly "Top Markets" is not synomous with "biggest markets". For you to try and conflate the two is, well, stupid. lol

Please direct me to the thread that says "Biggest Markets"....lol

Its what my very first question was. What makes a market a "best market"? It is certainly not just the size of the market. and CERTAINLY one of the qualifications is the ability of the owner of that market to spend.

Its why, even though the Magic may not have the revenue of say the Knicks or Lakers, DeVos could buy and sell Dolan/Buss multiple times over. If I was a player I would certainly look at the owner's capacity to spend- we KNOW LeBron did.

And yet, it's mainly bigger markets at the top. Whether we are talking about top markets or bigger markets. What we aren't talking about is the wealth of the owners.

As to the bold. Again, it doesn't matter whether DeVos has more money or not. We are talking about markets, not owners wealth.

If you want to talk about owners wealth, go make a thread about it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, it's mainly bigger markets at the top. Whether we are talking about top markets or bigger markets. What we aren't talking about is the wealth of the owners.

As to the bold. Again, it doesn't matter whether DeVos has more money or not. We are talking about markets, not owners wealth.

If you want to talk about owners wealth, go make a thread about it.
how can you possibly separate the two? That would be so stupid its not even funny. When choosing a market to go to, the owner matters as much if not more than ANYONE. And as we are ranking th markets, anylist that does not take into account who the owner is when grading that market is like trying to give a kid a final grade without taking into account the Final Exam.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can you possibly separate the two?

Easy. Because the wealth of the owner has nothing to do with the market the team is in. It's that simple.

Like I said, if you want to discuss the wealth of the owners. Go make a thread about it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy. Because the wealth of the owner has nothing to do with the market the team is in. It's that simple.

Like I said, if you want to discuss the wealth of the owners. Go make a thread about it.
well when i asked the question earlier and put all of the criteria down people said that ALL Of those things goin to what a "top market" is- not just the size of the media market.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well when i asked the question earlier and put all of the criteria down people said that ALL Of those things goin to what a "top market" is- not just the size of the media market.

Last time, if you want to discuss owners wealth, go make a thread about it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, sounds like we all get to pick our own. Market size, quality of organization, proximity to entertainment/tech/business opportunities, weather, etc. Bay Area is top ten in any reasonable list
apparently the quality of the organization is not what we are talking about. We are just talking about market size when we say "top markets"-- any analysis of the organization, ownership, etc. is not what we are talking about. I will start a thread to talk about that if you guys want.

List of television stations in North America by media market - Wikipedia

Here is a list of the top media markets in the US. Thread over apparently. lol.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EASY- how about dozens and dozens and dozens of NBA players that have shown they cant handle millions upon millions of dollars. lol....

If you are stupid enough to blow through $140 + million, you are also stupid enough to blow through 300+ million. It is pretty simple really.

Reactions: DJ

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk out here about where Kawhi might want to go and that most feel Toronto doesnt stand a chance.

I however think once he gets here and the team has success he will realize how great the fans,organization and city is.

So my question is what would you say are the top 10 NBA markets out there for a player to play in.
@raptorlife4 when you created the thread, what were the criteria you envisioned when ranking "top markets"- just out of curiosity....what did the person who created the thread actually believe they meant when they created the thread.

Were you just talking about market size? What were your criteria?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, this is a statement that is complete horseshit. There could be any innumerable reasons for a player to want to leave a situation that have absolutely nothing to do with "culture". I mean, it could be as for obscure a reason as wanting to be closer to medical facilities like Derek Fisher, or the baseball play Piscotty.

To say the "only reason for a player to leave is if the culture isn't what they want" is INCREDIBLY myopic and is a ridiculously broad/asinine assertion to make.

Way to go.

You managed to pick apart a very small part of my overall point that culture is most important.

Yes, there are other personal reasons.

But a player isn't leaving $100 million on the table if he is happy where he is at. That most often boils down to culture and how confident the player is that the people around him can help him win.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I can read the top of the page...it says "Top Markets"---- certainly "Top Markets" is not synomous with "biggest markets". For you to try and conflate the two is, well, stupid. lol

Please direct me to the thread that says "Biggest Markets"....lol

Its what my very first question was. What makes a market a "best market"? It is certainly not just the size of the market. and CERTAINLY one of the qualifications is the ability of the owner of that market to spend.

Its why, even though the Magic may not have the revenue of say the Knicks or Lakers, DeVos could buy and sell Dolan/Buss multiple times over. If I was a player I would certainly look at the owner's capacity to spend- we KNOW LeBron did.

No, we don't know that.

We know LeBron returned to Cleveland.

If anything though, his reluctance to sign for more than 1 year at a time for the first 2 years seems to indicate a lack of confidence in Gilbert.

After all, he committed long term in both Miami and LA. While we will never know for sure, the reason for that, IMO was because he knew GIlbert was a cheap SOB and had to hold his feet to the fire to get Gilbert to spend.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we don't know that.

We know LeBron returned to Cleveland.

If anything though, his reluctance to sign for more than 1 year at a time for the first 2 years seems to indicate a lack of confidence in Gilbert.

After all, he committed long term in both Miami and LA. While we will never know for sure, the reason for that, IMO was because he knew GIlbert was a cheap SOB and had to hold his feet to the fire to get Gilbert to spend.
dude, cant talk about ownership. We are talking about top markets in this thread. Ownership does not have anything to do with being a top market apparently. We need to start a new thread.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude, cant talk about ownership. We are talking about top markets in this thread. Ownership does not have anything to do with being a top market apparently. We need to start a new thread.

Ownership is a big part (maybe most important one) of the organizational culture equation. It definelty matters, but is about a lot more than just the owner's bank account. Not all multi-billionaires are willing to spend. They may be able, but being willing is totally different.

Also, I can tell you as a long time Redskin fan, sometimes being willing to spend can be a bad thing too, if you invest in the wrong assets.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
City. Ownership. Organization. Fans. Quality of life. Entertainment

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ownership is a big part (maybe most important one) of the organizational culture equation. It definelty matters, but is about a lot more than just the owner's bank account. Not all multi-billionaires are willing to spend. They may be able, but being willing is totally different.

Also, I can tell you as a long time Redskin fan, sometimes being willing to spend can be a bad thing too, if you invest in the wrong assets.
i never said it was JUST about the owner's bank account, but that surely is a factor.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohh okay...so you did mean ownership!

thanks for clearing that up! @trojanfan12

I never said ownership wasn't part of it. I said the wealth of the ownership isn't.

So, as I said, if you want to discuss the wealth of the ownership. Go start a thread.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of market is San Antonio in and how many championships have they won?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never said it was JUST about the owner's bank account, but that surely is a factor.

Except that it isn't. If your team historically sucks, has shit weather, limited entertainment options and can't draw the best free agents, you could be printing your own money and it won't matter. This is still a soft cap league, and a minimum salary had to be put in place as teams (owned by billionaires in some cases) wouldn't (or couldn't, due to lack of interest) spend close the cap number.

Any market that can't afford to occasionally go into luxury tax territory shouldn't have a team.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of market is San Antonio in and how many championships have they won?

How many superstar FAs did they sign?

SA had a remarkable run of drafting and developing players. They drafted 5 HOF caliber players in the span of just over 20 years. And they retained every single one until Kawhi.