• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the 10 best offenses in college football

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are they saving up those possessions for the next game? Probably team B because team A let’s the other team move up and down the field on them. Also it means that team A muffed multiple punts and/or lost onside kicks.

This wasn’t a trick question. No turnovers. Call it the Wisconsin offense. If you score a TD on every possession you will win 99% of your games. That doesn’t change if you average 8 minutes per scoring drive or 2 minutes.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This wasn’t a trick question. No turnovers. Call it the Wisconsin offense. If you score a TD on every possession you will win 99% of your games. That doesn’t change if you average 8 minutes per scoring drive or 2 minutes.
Please, do tell me what team is scoring a touchdown every possession.

Fact of the matter is if you aren’t scoring a lot of points because you have a “possession offense” and the other team is moving the ball up and down the field on you, you aren’t going to beat very many good teams. Luckily for Stanford, they play in a weak conference.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please, do tell me what team is scoring a touchdown every possession.

Fact of the matter is if you aren’t scoring a lot of points because you have a “possession offense” and the other team is moving the ball up and down the field on you, you aren’t going to beat very many good teams. Luckily for Stanford, they play in a weak conference.

I was trying to explain the idea of offensive efficiency to Across the field. It was an example, obviously an extreme one, but one that I though explained the concept.

I dot follow your example. If your possession offense is slowly moving the ball and scoring, you will be fine vs any offense. If you are not scoring and the other team is scoring, you are screwed no matter what style you are playing

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to explain the idea of offensive efficiency to Across the field. It was an example, obviously an extreme one, but one that I though explained the concept.

I dot follow your example. If your possession offense is slowly moving the ball and scoring, you will be fine vs any offense. If you are not scoring and the other team is scoring, you are screwed no matter what style you are playing
Please tell me another offense that plays “possession football” but doesn’t win the ToP. They don’t play possession football.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me another offense that plays “possession football” but doesn’t win the ToP. They don’t play possession football.

Ohh, you are are hung up on Stanford. I wasn’t arguing about Stanford I could care less about the list. I haven’t looked at Stanford’s offense. People were saying efficiency is complete BS stat. I was merely pointing out that it makes complete sense, if you think about it it a little more deeply than just pts scores.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Eric will fight tooth and nail to praise Stanford at every possible opportunity. No matter what happens, he will always defend them. He even went as far as to call them elite last year. You ever catch me slobbing on my rivals balls that much, smack me in the head with a shovel a few times.
ss25010_lrg.jpg

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh, you are are hung up on Stanford. I wasn’t arguing about Stanford I could care less about the list. I haven’t looked at Stanford’s offense. People were saying efficiency is complete BS stat. I was merely pointing out that it makes complete sense, if you think about it it a little more deeply than just pts scores.
This all started because I said that I don’t see Stanford as a top 3 offense when they don’t score that many points, they don’t get many yards, and they don’t control the time of possession. All they really have is efficiency.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. Notice they both scored the same amount of points.

Team A: Scores 41 with a TOP of 28:39
Team B: Scores 32 with a TOP of 30:15
Team C: Scores 36 with a TOP of 28:24

All 3 are in the same conference. Which one is the best actual offense.

Team D 33.8 with TOP at 36:00

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perhaps I should have made it simpler for you. Try this

Team A scores 35 pts on 5 possessions

Team B scores 35 pts on 10 possessions

Which team was more likely to win?
Well now you've completely changed your parameters.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I assumed Team A was OSU.
Arizona, actually. I posted 3 Pac12 teams so the comparison was fair. Stanford is far from being the best offense in their conference, let alone top 10 in the nation. It's hard to see how they played offensively against atrocious defenses like Oregon State and Cal and seriously consider them a top 10 offense.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now you've completely changed your parameters.

Still the same. Efficiency is about how you do per play. I will say I like per drive better, but that is another discussion. Total pts and yards can be misleading. Hurry up offenses will put up more plays, mostly do to running more plays. It’s like when OU coach said Georgia would not have been a top 5 defense in the Big 12. I think that is accurate. It’s not because they would have been dramatically less effective, but just that they likely would have seen 100 or more plays over the course of the season

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still the same. Efficiency is about how you do per play. I will say I like per drive better, but that is another discussion. Total pts and yards can be misleading. Hurry up offenses will put up more plays, mostly do to running more plays. It’s like when OU coach said Georgia would not have been a top 5 defense in the Big 12. I think that is accurate. It’s not because they would have been dramatically less effective, but just that they likely would have seen 100 or more plays over the course of the season
I presented 3 examples of teams from the same conference. Stanford had the highest TOP with the least amount of points scored. That is not a top 10 offense. It's not even close to being tops in their own division, let alone in the nation.