• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers vs Twinkies in Minnesota 06/22-06/24

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets win another series against a AL Central opponent.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vlad was another of JD''s great moves several years ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Beltre Drawing Trade Interest

Both the Phillies and Indians have varying levels of interest in Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Philadelphia’s interest is portrayed a bit more strongly in the report, whereas Morosi writes that “[a]t least some within the Indians organization would like to acquire Beltre,” who is familiar with skipper Terry Francona from the 2010 season with the Red Sox.

The Rangers’ stance as sellers on this summer’s trade deadline has been clear for weeks. Texas currently sits 12 games below .500 and an insurmountable 18 games out of first place in the American League West. They’re a similarly daunting 14.5 games out of the American League Wild Card chase.

While trade interest in Beltre figures to pick up as the deadline draws nearer, it’s not yet clear whether the 39-year-old Beltre will waive his 10-and-5 rights, which allow him to veto any trade scenario with which he is presented. Certainly, there’s a logical case to be made that given his age, Beltre would prefer to go somewhere with a chance to win a World Series ring. At the same time, he’s been with the Rangers since 2011 and undoubtedly has a comfort level with his teammates, the coaching staff, the city and Rangers fans. He’s earning $18MM this season — with approximately $9.77MM of that sum still owed to him through season’s end.

For the Phillies, it’s not difficult to see the appeal Beltre brings to the organization. Philadelphia third baseman have posted a lackluster .235/.300/.399 batting line so far in 2018, and their third basemen have been seven runs below average in the field according to both Ultimate Zone Rating and Defensive Runs Saved. There’s been little in the way of value provided from either Maikel Franco or J.P. Crawford, the latter of whom just went on the disabled list for up to six weeks after incurring a broken hand when he was hit by a pitch two days ago.

The Indians, meanwhile, have a less obvious need, considering the brilliance of Jose Ramirez, who has broken out as a full-fledged superstar over the past two seasons. Ramirez is hitting a ridiculous .291/.391/.611 with 22 homers, 20 doubles, a triple and 10 steals (in 12 tries) while playing strong defense at third base. However, Ramirez is also a more-than-capable second baseman, and the Cleveland organization has received virtually no production at that position from former star Jason Kipnis (.208/.282/.328 in 295 plate appearances). Acquiring Beltre would allow Cleveland to shift Ramirez to second base.

Clearly, Beltre isn’t the player that he once was. But the future Hall of Famer has still notched an impressive .302/.357/.428 slash with three homers, nine doubles and a triple so far through 182 plate appearances. However, he’s also had a pair of DL stints this season due to hamstring strains and has begun to see more time at designated hitter as a means of keeping his legs healthier. That could limit some of his appeal to an NL club such as the Phillies, though with Crawford, Franco and Scott Kingery on the roster, the Phils have the depth to rest Beltre a couple of times per week should they deem it necessary.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, here is an update on a conversation and I believe a wager between a couple of you.

Adrian Beltre currently has 159 AB in 2018.
Josh Donaldson currently has 137 AB in 2018.

If PA are more of a measure then Beltre leads 182 to 159.

Beltre leads in games 45 to 36.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the cards fall just right, Adrian will remain a Ranger imo.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies and Indians are two teams I’d like to see Beltre traded too.

I could get behind either one of them in the postseason.

The Astros? Sorry Beltre. I’d root for you to strikeout.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies and Indians are two teams I’d like to see Beltre traded too.

I could get behind either one of them in the postseason.

The Astros? Sorry Beltre. I’d root for you to strikeout.
Can't pull for the Stros but it will be a cold day in hell when I root against Adrian Beltre.:nono:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't pull for the Stros but it will be a cold day in hell when I root against Adrian Beltre.:nono:
I can understand that and I love Beltre but if he is on the Astros and he can get a hit that wins the WS for the Astros then I wan him to make an out. Now if the Astros did not win the WS and Beltre could have a great series then so be it.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand that and I love Beltre but if he is on the Astros and he can get a hit that wins the WS for the Astros then I wan him to make an out. Now if the Astros did not win the WS and Beltre could have a great series then so be it.

Hopefully we’re never put in that awkward situation.

I think any rangers fan who roots for the Astros to win or have success ( even with Beltre) is insane.

They’re in the same state, Same division, and any success they have will make our rebuild that much tougher.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think any rangers fan who roots for the Astros to win or have success ( even with Beltre) is insane.

They’re in the same state, Same division, and any success they have will make our rebuild that much tougher.

I get this mentality, lets say in college sports, but way less the case in pro sports, the key to success is good drafting, roster management, not making stupid trades and signing the right free agents

That said, fuck the Astros, luckily the Astros have zero need for him

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see Beltre going 4 for 4 and the Astros lose 4 straight. Probably never happen but supporting AB in no way means supporting Astros.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get this mentality, lets say in college sports, but way less the case in pro sports, the key to success is good drafting, roster management, not making stupid trades and signing the right free agents

That said, fuck the Astros, luckily the Astros have zero need for him

Winning championships increases your ability to attract good players in free agency and could make you pay less for them.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning championships increases your ability to attract good players in free agency and could make you pay less for them.

Ha, did you feel the need to explain that to me? Please, I probably have more sports knowledge in my right toe...

Did I say it didn't factor in? I said its not the biggest factor, and that it matters far less than in something like college sports where money isn't really a direct factor

If that was the case every major free agent would sign with whoever just won the world series, it doesn't work that way

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Notes: Choo, Beltre, Diekman, Mendez

The Rangers would be willing to pay down some of Shin-Soo Choo’s remaining salary in a trade, reports Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports in his latest notes column. Heyman writes that the Rangers would do so “for the right take,” though it seems difficult to imagine the Rangers being especially picky in any Choo negotiations. While the 35-year-old is undeniably having a very nice season at the plate, hitting .277/.388/.468 with 13 homers, he’s also owed $52.86MM through the 2020 season — including about $10.86MM through season’s end in 2018. Choo, already largely limited to DH work, will be 38 by the time his current seven-year deal ends, and the last-place Rangers would presumably be happy to be free of a decent chunk of that onerous sum even if it meant taking on a negligible amount of talent in return.

Lefty Jake Diekman has recently boosted his trade stock, as Grant writes in a thorough examination of the veteran reliever. Diekman, who’s a pending free agent, has been throwing hard and getting both whiffs and grounders, but he’s also continuing to issue too many walks. Still, with a 2.96 ERA through 27 1/3 innings, he has shown he can get results (as he has in the past). Perhaps the most confounding aspect of his season is the fact that he has uncharacteristically struggled quite a bit against lefties, who own a .303/.452/.424 slash against him. Despite the questions, it’s not hard to imagine a fair bit of interest materializing from teams that want a power lefty but miss on other options or see particular appeal in Diekman’s reasonable salary ($2,172,500).

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I will not support Beltre to Astros. It is like playing fantasy football and your guy is playing against your team. This is why I got out

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade anyone to the Astros if it hurt them 3 years down the road while helping us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reducing the possible places you would trade players only diminishes the market size for them and hurts your return.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade anyone to the Astros if it hurt them 3 years down the road while helping us.
I get they but if I think it helps them win another World Series so I am not for it. Otherwise they have a good farm and I would be glad to trade with them. Just would not root for Beltre then.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reducing the possible places you would trade players only diminishes the market size for them and hurts your return.
No one was saying do not trade him to the Astros. We just do not want the Astros to win the World Series even if Beltre is on the team.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wherever AB ends up, I will root for him and root for him to win a WS because he deserves the opportunity to win one. Let's face it, Rangers aint winning one while Beltre is still playing