• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers to clip the Cardinals in St. Louis 6/17-6/19

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting aside, not sure if it was mentioned yesterday as I was unable.

WATCH: Two Korean MLB stars reunite 16 years after first meeting in high school

Back in high school, Choo was the pitcher and Oh was the position player

Saturday night, thanks to some late-inning heroics, the Rangers beat the Cardinals 4-3 to improve their record to 44-25. That's the best record in franchise history through 69 games. Texas beat St. Louis again Sunday afternoon (TEX 5, STL 4).

As part of his team's eighth inning rally Saturday, Rangers outfielder Shin-Soo Choo singled to center against Cardinals setup man Seung Hwan Oh. Choo later came around the first run of the game for Texas. The single itself was fairly routine, but what makes this so noteworthy is the fact Choo and Oh were facing each other since they were in high school back in South Korea. Here's the video:

According to an old Naver report, as translated by Reddit user KloudMcJoo, things were very different when Choo and Oh met back in high school 16 years ago. Back then Choo was the pitcher and Oh was the position player. Choo was the staff ace and led his team to a championship.

Choo signed with the Mariners as an international free agent in 2000. He had greater potential as a position player, but the thought was he could always fall back on being a left-handed pitcher if he struggled to hit big league pitching. Obviously that hasn't happened. Choo's had a fine career.

Oh, on the other hand, remained in Korean and played with the Samsung Lion from 2005-13. He played with the Hanshin Tigers in Japan in 2014 and 2015 before signing with the Cardinals as a free agent this past offseason.

Baseball is a global game these days, and it is pretty darn cool to see players like Choo and Oh reunite on the field on the other side of the world nearly two decades after high school.

choooh061916.jpg
Shin-Soo Choo (l.) and Seung Hwan Oh faced off Saturday for the first time since high school.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Is tomorrow's game vs Baltimore considered a continuation of the earlier series where Texas took 2 of 3 or is it considered it's own 1 game series?

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matheny is going to take a lot of heat for this 5 game home losing streak and this season in general but that was a Cardinals team that wanted to win.

The Cardinals GM Mozeliak punted on this season and thats where I'm putting the blame. Cardinals needed an outfielder, didn't get Heyward and then didn't make a big signing. Cubs took the best pitcher and best position player from the playoffs last year so a lot of the grit is gone on this team. Carpenter and good starting pitching but not enough talent. Not saying they'd be better with Heyward but they clearly needed another player and got cheap.

This went exactly to script. The clutch team was clutch and the unclutch team was unclutch.

Don't worry. We have a 1B solution for you. Call JD and tell him you want Prince Fielder and will eat his salary. That should get the Cards on the right track. LOL.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland turned that game upside down when he beat out the the throw to second in the 8th. Everybody's hustling!!!
Full credit to the managers, but I also think Profar and Rua have something to do with that as well. I think Banny must have made it clear that the guy that is showing the most will be the one that gets to play. And now with our substitute guys on the bench just waiting to take your spot being Profar and Rua...no one wants to be the one that makes the boneheaded play or shows a lack of hustle and lose his spot the next day.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full credit to the managers, but I also think Profar and Rua have something to do with that as well. I think Banny must have made it clear that the guy that is showing the most will be the one that gets to play. And now with our substitute guys on the bench just waiting to take your spot being Profar and Rua...no one wants to be the one that makes the boneheaded play or shows a lack of hustle and lose his spot the next day.

Goes with what I've said about having a certain number of productive plate appearances every series, you don't meet the mark, your replacement is waiting to get their shot

This needs to be made clear to everyone, even Prince, that way when he pouts about being removed from the lineup again, he knows exactly the reason why

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nba

NBA board more and not online in general. I will be now. What a season these rangers are having ay?

Pretty awesome season so far, hope it continues

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Banny must have made it clear that the guy that is showing the most will be the one that gets to play.

If this is true how do you explain the never ending experiment of Prince Fielder being in the lineup daily?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true how do you explain the never ending experiment of Prince Fielder being in the lineup daily?

He did sit him a few games, and sat him again yesterday. About all you can really sit someone that is a veteran, healthy, and making that kind of scratch.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did sit him a few games, and sat him again yesterday. About all you can really sit someone that is a veteran, healthy, and making that kind of scratch.

I get your point, but that is a contradiction from "playing the best player."