• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Play The Indians In Cleveland April 30 - May 2

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As April ends and May begins let's keep finding out how these young guys will develop.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers Inbox column from T.R. Sullivan

What caught my eye, though, is Sullivan saying of Ronald Guzman that “[he] is here, he is going to stay here and he is going to get an extended chance to show what he can do.” If that’s the case, Joey Gallo is going to be the regular left fielder for the time being.

Which doesn’t bode well for the chances of Willie Calhoun getting called up. The date that many have circled for Calhoun’s promotion is this Thursday, May 3 — that’s the date where, even if Calhoun is called up and stays up all season, he will not accumulate a full year’s service time by season’s end.

However...if Sullivan is right, and Guzman is going to stay up and get an extended look, it seems unlikely Calhoun’s promotion is imminent. Calhoun is limited to left field and DH, and with Guzman at 1B, Gallo at LF and Shin-Soo Choo at DH, there’s no starting spot available for Calhoun. In addition, since all these players are lefthanded hitters, you can’t really set up a platoon among them to get Calhoun at bats, which is how Renato Nunez is currently getting in the lineup.

The return of Adrian Beltre or Rougned Odor — whichever one returns first (and it looks like one or the other could be back in a couple of weeks) — will result in Ryan Rua getting sent down, which would leave the Rangers with a bench of Nunez, Drew Robinson and Juan Centeno. As it is, the only way the Rangers are able to carry Nunez right now is to have Robinson be both the UIF and the backup center fielder — and speaking of backup center fielders, at some point, presumably, Rule 5 Carlos Tocci will be coming off the d.l., and the Rangers will likely have to decide between keeping him on the roster or keeping Nunez, who is out of options and who would have to be exposed to waivers if they wanted to send him down.

That said, plans can change quickly -- the Rangers were committed to Ryan Rua as an everyday left fielder until Nunez was available on a waiver claim, and the Rangers may be committed to giving Guzman an extended look only until he has a couple of hitless games after May 3 comes and goes, at which point they could announce they are sending Guzman down to work on his approach or whathaveyou, and bring Calhoun up to play left field. Or an injury to a corner guy or a DH could strike, which would potentially open the door for Calhoun.

But if Sullivan is right, and the Rangers are going to give Guzman an extended look in the majors at first base, Willie Rakes is going to have to bide his time for a while in AAA, because there’s not room on the roster, or at bats available, for him and Guzman both in the majors.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Passan fan but this was kind of humorous in writing about the bad KC ERA.
"The first three numbers of Kansas City’s bullpen ERA heading into Sunday were 6.66, which is appropriate for a group that has bedeviled pretty much nobody. Yes, were one to subtract the contributions of Blaine Boyer and the aptly named Justin Grimm, the number would look a lot less satanic,"

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez goes to the10-day DL.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting my money on another surgery for Perez.

I'm hoping he just pushed to come back too early and he wasn't prepared. But then again, it's always something with this guy it seems.

Don't forget, 5 o'clock game today.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping he just pushed to come back too early and he wasn't prepared. But then again, it's always something with this guy it seems.

Don't forget, 5 o'clock game today.

His biggest issue is between the ears. Dr. Meister ain't fixing that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His biggest issue is between the ears. Dr. Meister ain't fixing that.

I agree 100%. And ya know, I thought he was going to be one of those really bulldog type of pitchers and nothing could be further from the truth than this. Of course I thought this several seasons ago.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I project IKF to be something special. This kid is doing it all and doing it well.