• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random NHL thoughts

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Rangers-Bolts ECF... Marty St. Louis takes a high stick to the face.

I think the NHL and the ex-players in charge of player safety should really crack down on high sticks. All high sticking penalties (which is generally a swat to the head/face) should be 5 minutes.

I've played ice hockey for years, and you really have to be either reckless or careless to get your stick that high to clip someone in the head (even on a follow through - and follow-thrus are NOT called as a penalty). IMHO there is no excuse for a high stick.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a picture yesterday on chicagoblackhawks.com with andrew shaw tied up with stoner, his stick is up and down with the blade in the air, seems to be fighting for position, the problem, Anderson is looking the other way, so the puck was on the other side of the ice. I think high sticks are a little different now that its popular to try to lift the stick off the puck and missing in that context usually ends up with a stick in the face. I actually think the double minor is a better penalty now since you have a chance to have two power plays, unless you are saying one 5 minute penalty wont expire with a goal.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB Nation via TSN is reporting that the Hawks are one of 8 teams that Phil Kessel will accept a trade to. He is 27 and makes $8 million a year. There is a chance we can lose Saad who is ridiculously under-paid and he becomes a free agent in a day or two. I just don't see him in the Hawks' budget.

Not to mention that Oduya also becomes a FA. Losing both could be bad.

I don't think we can get Saad and Oduya quality for around a mill each.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB Nation via TSN is reporting that the Hawks are one of 8 teams that Phil Kessel will accept a trade to. He is 27 and makes $8 million a year. There is a chance we can lose Saad who is ridiculously under-paid and he becomes a free agent in a day or two. I just don't see him in the Hawks' budget.

Not to mention that Oduya also becomes a FA. Losing both could be bad.

I don't think we can get Saad and Oduya quality for around a mill each.

I dont think they will have a problem with letting Oduya go, he has been rumored for deals over the past two seasons. I also think they let Bickell go this offseason. It was one thing to be light in the regular season to be dominant in the post season, but light in both will get him dealt. Johns and TVR already are here to replace Oduya. The bigger move might be Seabrook or Sharp to clear closer to 6 million each. We pay all of Versteegs contract next year at 4.7, Berkins might be here for him too. Vermette, Desjardins will also go, Krueger and Nordstrom are RFA's again too. Richards wont take another light deal.

Saad is just too important and they can probably work out a transition deal like Bickell got last year. Bottom line is the raises to Kane and Toews cost us one 6 million dollar guy and the rest of the team could remain around them, but I see 2010 all over again, 10-11 returning hawks. Teuvo full time second line center, Seabs, Keith and Hammer get one youngster each. Rosie will probably be back team friendly with the understanding he will be paid to play 40 regular season games and the postseason.

That puts Toews, Teuvo, Shaw and Krueger at center
Sharp Hossa Kane Saad with guys like Carey, Rasmussen, McNeil to get a point for the power play, Kyle Baun, Michael Paliotta, Panarin and another D man Gustafsson, a swede are also here.

For once I think they begin to trust these "great" signings they made over the past few months and decide to try to play them until the deadline where they might get some vets to replace them as usual.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards, Vermette, Carcillo, Oduya, Rozsival, and Timonen are likely gone as UFAs. I doubt they resign Rundblad as a RFA. Desjardins may be back as an UFA. Sharp, Bickell and Seabrook are trade candidates. Outside chance of trading Crawford. Going to be a tough season.

Team Overview for Chicago Blackhawks (15/16) | NHLnumbers.com

Pass on Kessel...

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, 7.5 million to get 7 guys is gonna be tough. I guess we see how hard Pittsburg makes it for us to keep Saad. Alot of comparison to the San Jose Hammer deal forcing our hand to make the hard decision.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading rumors that the Hawks are considering buying out Bickell.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading rumors that the Hawks are considering buying out Bickell.

I would figure it might be a Versteeg type deal where they trade him for a prospect and pay half his salary. If its a straight buyout, pretty much says they dont think anyone will make a deal. Maybe they tried hard over the deadline time and had no takers.

Last big year for Hossa money to deal with, its all down hill from next year on. I guess we see if the cap moves any, might go from 69 to 73, just mixed about going out and getting someone again before the season starts.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kessel to the Pens. Wow. Things are getting interesting in the East.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Oshie to the Caps!!

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex hawk Jimmy Hayes has signed a three year deal with the bruins at an annual cap hit of 2.3 million.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.
Sharks have knocked off the Kings.
Minny is making it a series against Dallas.
Preds have tied up the Ducks.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did one of those bracket challenges, picked washington to get knocked out round one and their ex goalie is playing phenomenal hockey right now for the Flyers. Also picked Leddys team to knock off Florida.

Glad Minny is making it a series, I like when there is not too much extra rest for the next round, just makes better hockey for whoever gets there.