• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ralphie traded

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont get why you 2 are arguing of Polak/Demelo... My post was that DILLON returning, not Polak, will force Demelo onto the bench -- I absolutely want Polak in over Demelo... But Demelo is Dillons repacement... Dillon returning is the reason for Demelos sitting, not the arrival of Polak...

Dillon needs to sit in favor of Demelo...

Dillon plays the left side, Demelo and Polak play the right, so Dillon returning doesn't have much to do with Demelo taking a seat in the PB. The regular bottom was Dillon-Demelo so the perception is the addition of Polak is why Demelo is out of the line up. Dillion was playing great prior to his injury and the team needs him to get back to that level of play ASAP.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the last piece of the deal I dont like is that the team, as is, is playing well. the chemistry is good. They have been winning games. Why fuck with that? Why demote a player like demelo who has absolutely earned the right to play every night? What message does that send to him? Why not call up a goldobin or goodrow internally to replace wingels as neither of those two is any worse that spaling really?

When a team is playing well, and young players are a big part of that, dont bring in external vets who then force young players to sit. it sends a bad message to them, and it only makes sense if its a huge upgrade.

I would not be surprised at all if they go on a slump in large part because of this trade. Frankly, if they lose 3-2, it's Polak's -2 (if you count the PK) that's a big part of it.

2 games: Polak is -2, was on the ice for the only PK goal against. that means he was on the ice for 3 goals against, zero goals for, and the sharks lost twice to lesser teams, each time by a goal. the Polak-Dillon pairing is a major liability, and if Polak is even in both games, they win both most likely. the one goal given up by polak-dillon in each game, cost 2 or 3 points.

Dougie took a great thing, clicking on all cylinders, and messed with it while hurting the future, and benching demelo whose game was surging. Nice!

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice James Reimer is a hell of an upgrade over Stalock

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, this is a hell of a trade for he Sharks.

Why did the leafs make this deal? two UFA's an a 4th rounder in 3 years for reimer? I wonder if this is not a follow up on the polak deal. dougie vastly overpaid there, so now he underpays.

still hate the polak deal, but this was a good one. Of course, he will probably only play 5 games down the stretch, but its a good insurance policy.

Unfortunately, the sharks are falling out of the contention for the division, and falling out of contention for home field in the 1st round too. 6 back of LA, 4 back of ANA is gunna be tough. Possible, but tough.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why did the leafs make this deal? two UFA's an a 4th rounder in 3 years for reimer? I wonder if this is not a follow up on the polak deal. dougie vastly overpaid there, so now he underpays.

still hate the polak deal, but this was a good one. Of course, he will probably only play 5 games down the stretch, but its a good insurance policy.

Unfortunately, the sharks are falling out of the contention for the division, and falling out of contention for home field in the 1st round too. 6 back of LA, 4 back of ANA is gunna be tough. Possible, but tough.

You're complaining about the wrong dman, Rules. You should be bitching about Dillon not Polak. Polak had prevented at least 3 sure goals with his play in front of his net and broken up even more quality scoring chances with his positioning and ability to dominate board battles. You talk about the 3 goals he's been on for like any of them were his fault. The ES goal in the Aves game the back checking forward was out muscled by his man. The PP goal the weak side forward cheated too much to the other side leaving that point open. Polak's responsibility there was to box out the oreads in front of the net preventing a screen and tie up the stick. He did exactly that. What was Polak's fault on the Buf goal? Was it Dillon fumbling a puck that hit him square in the tape or Jones' horrendous goaltending? Dillon has been beyond terrible these last two games, he's the one you should be complaining about.

As for the overpay for Polak, I'm starting to think the other 2nd might have been prepayment to ensure the Reimer trade.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think he'll get more then 5 starts Jones needs rest Riems can play a couple in a row and let jones get ready for the PO's

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're complaining about the wrong dman, Rules. You should be bitching about Dillon not Polak. Polak had prevented at least 3 sure goals with his play in front of his net and broken up even more quality scoring chances with his positioning and ability to dominate board battles. You talk about the 3 goals he's been on for like any of them were his fault. The ES goal in the Aves game the back checking forward was out muscled by his man. The PP goal the weak side forward cheated too much to the other side leaving that point open. Polak's responsibility there was to box out the oreads in front of the net preventing a screen and tie up the stick. He did exactly that. What was Polak's fault on the Buf goal? Was it Dillon fumbling a puck that hit him square in the tape or Jones' horrendous goaltending? Dillon has been beyond terrible these last two games, he's the one you should be complaining about.

As for the overpay for Polak, I'm starting to think the other 2nd might have been prepayment to ensure the Reimer trade.

Perhaps. No doubt dillon has been awful. That said, I have seen polak misspacing the Dzone regularly. He has two blocks that he is getting praised for but they occur because the forward has too much space.

Polak has amongst the tops in Blocks/60 TOI. Most of the time, people see that as a good thing, but I see that as a sign that the other team is firing a ton of shots when you are on the ice. Polak ranked 125th in TOI/gm, but 36th in blocks. By comparison, Burns ranks 4th in TOI, 22nd, in blocks, and pickles is 27th in TOI, 22nd in blocks.

I am not going to defend dillon as of course I cant stand him either. But, I see Polak as a liability as well and so far, his pairing has all but singlehandedly cost the team two W's. The whole point is that demelo was playing very well, and was helping out at both ends. EV or + in 9 straight games and really developing nicely. Then they bring is another 'dillon' (big, physical, but a dearth offensively and not quick at all), and it's not started well.

On a different note, I gotta feel like one of the 2nds was a preview of the reimer deal, as well. No way lou trades him for a 4th rounder in 2018, while taking back two useless UFA's. Either the market for reimer was zero, or this was 'attached' to the other deal.

p.s.: Spaling is no better than barclay goodrow IMO. Ive been watching him closely, and so far Im a little disappointed. I actually liked his addition, so my jury is out, but I grow weary of his screwing up cycles and losing possession, or floating useless shots on net when better plays were available.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expected Spaling to be sent to the AHL when the Sharks traded for him or at best used as a 13th forward. He is not and has never been good at the NHL level. Hopefully DeBoer only uses him until Wingels comes back.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Jose is said to be one of 5 teams with an offer for Drouin that Yzerman is considering. Ottawa was the only other named team.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
San Jose is said to be one of 5 teams with an offer for Drouin that Yzerman is considering. Ottawa was the only other named team.

I would doubt this very much. what would the sharks give up? I could see them dealing a mueller or Roy centered package which could include a tierney or nieto or something, but I would think other teams could easily offer more. Obviously, getting him could be a game changer, but I would doubt it.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would doubt this very much. what would the sharks give up? I could see them dealing a mueller or Roy centered package which could include a tierney or nieto or something, but I would think other teams could easily offer more. Obviously, getting him could be a game changer, but I would doubt it.

I don't know it depends on who else has offers for him. Yzerman wants to trade him to the west and so far the other teams I've heard interested in him (Ottawa, Boston, and Pitt) are out East. Wilson and Yzerman also have a very good trade history. I could see something like Mueller/Roy + Wingels/Nieto + another prospect or a pick.

Side note, Mike Brown is on waivers. This makes me happy.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know it depends on who else has offers for him. Yzerman wants to trade him to the west and so far the other teams I've heard interested in him (Ottawa, Boston, and Pitt) are out East. Wilson and Yzerman also have a very good trade history. I could see something like Mueller/Roy + Wingels/Nieto + another prospect or a pick.

Side note, Mike Brown is on waivers. This makes me happy.

well, this could be a sign of another trade. Only reason to waive him is to send him down and bury the cap hit. Perhaps, you are on to something. Dougie might not be done. Personally a Mueller+Nieto+midround (3rd) would make me a a very happy camper. They could even add in a guy like Lebanc or sadowy (both top 7 in the OHL is goals, and lebanc leads the O in scoring) or Halewka (top 10 in WHL goals). Druoin obviously has a tough start to the career, but a 3rd overall pick 20 year old is a potential score, and mueller+nieto isnt much. Besides, with Demelo's advance, and the fact that burns,martin, vlasic, braun, and dillon will likely the be the D corps for at least another couple years, Mueller becomes wholly expendable, and with lebanc, Oregan, sadowy, goldobin, Meier, Halewka and others in the farm, losing nieto means little as well. Don't know if Yzerman would take such a deal but it would be the upside for the sharks is huge and the downside is minimal.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brown is on waivers because they needed the roster spot for Reimer. It's not a precursor to another deal. Doesn't mean they aren't making another deal but I wouldn't look too much into the move.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
why did they need to waive brown for that? Stalock went the other way?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because they haven't put either Wingels or Tenny on IR and they picked up Spaling, Polak, and Reimer with only moving Stalock off the roster. After the two trades they had 24 players on the roster so they had to move someone.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They Also called up Dell to fill Stalock's roster spot.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 games: Polak is -2, was on the ice for the only PK goal against. that means he was on the ice for 3 goals against, zero goals for, and the sharks lost twice to lesser teams, each time by a goal. the Polak-Dillon pairing is a major liability, and if Polak is even in both games, they win both most likely. the one goal given up by polak-dillon in each game, cost 2 or 3 points.

Dougie took a great thing, clicking on all cylinders, and messed with it while hurting the future, and benching demelo whose game was surging. Nice!

I am going to ignore the Buffalo game. They always lose to Buffalo. Did I hear right? Buffalo 9-0-1 against the Sharks in the last 10 games. Those were some pretty crappy teams. I was at the tank for one of those losses a few years ago. I think 5-2 if I remember right.