• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Week 1: @PHI

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL IS BACK BABY!!!!

Start this off with a disclaimer... As many of our loyal fanbase here on the Hoop already know, the preseason typically involves losses for the Steelers. 0-4 or 1-4 is routine for Tomlin. Just remember that the preseason is for tweaking & getting the young guns' feet wet. It's not about watching the coaches rolling out some sort of dynamic schemes or whatever. All you get is very vanilla football. So for those that get their panties all wadded up sayin "Steelers look like shit, the season is done", please keep that to yourself. Feel free to critique it rather than cry about it so we can have good discussions.

OFFENSE... Tomlin stated he plans to play Jones, Rudolph & Dobbs in this game. Not sure what the pecking order will be yet, and as history has shown the depth charts they release each week during the preseason mean next to nothing. NFL mandates it, but the Steelers don't give a flying f*ck about whether its correct or not. I think we are going to see a heavy dose of Conner & Samuels. Steelers need to get a lot of looks at those guys this preseason because we know once Bell returns he will be getting >90% of the workload. If thsoe 2 guys are the future, then they will want to see that translate onto the field this preseason. We are all anxious to see what Washington can do. On the O-line I am looking forward to seeing what Chuks brings to the OT position. Also been hearing great things about RJ Prince's athleticism & strength. We'll also get a good look at Feiler.

DEFENSE... All eyes are going to be on the secondary. Looking forward to seeing Edmunds, M Allen, Sutton, etc. Although he wasn't officially ruled out, I'm not sure we will get to see Burnett just yet. Tomlin already seems to be keeping him shelved most of camp. Watt & Dupree have been ruled out, so we'll get to see what Keion Adams & Farrington Huguenin bring to the table. Also we should get good looks at younger talents in Ola Adeniyi & Matt Thomas. All reports on those 2 in camp have been positive. Not sure what makeshift D-line we are going to get, but this is essentially Dan McCullers' last shot. He & Josh Frazier will be battling for the last spot.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Jones starts but only plays as long as the 1's do, a series or two at most. We already know very well what Jones can and can't do so no need for a long look at him. I'd bet the rookie goes last but we'll see.
Movin this in here.

Yea I'm hoping we get essentially a 50/50 split between Rudolph & Dobbs. Dobbs has the most to prove.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting... He wasn't even listed on the Steelers' depth chart for KR or PR. lol. Tomlin's preseason depth charts are such a joke. It's like he's trolling the NFL.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get to see the game here in MD but from reading recaps and what I caught on NFL Network, we looked pretty good for a first preseason game. A few thoughts:
The 3-way QB battle to back up Ben is gonna get heated. Whether that matter or not only time will tell but I hope if Landry is beaten out they actually pull the trigger and cut him.

We are loaded at WR.

Can't say much else without seeing the game. Maybe I can catch the replay on the NFL Network???

netsteeler

Warning! now your out!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*******************Start this off with a disclaimer... As many of our loyal fanbase here on the Hoop already know, the preseason typically involves losses for the Steelers. 0-4 or 1-4 is routine for Tomlin.***************

WELL, now that you brought it up, only in the last 4 or 5 years, before that the Steelers were consistently 3-1 in preseason, and showed discipline in the games. NOW the team has no discipline, no focus, and no situational awareness. thus a mediocre quarterback such as blake bortles can go into Heinz field and put up 45 on the teams defense.

BUT when the Steelers beat the eagles in preseason they tend to have a great season. Lets hope they learn diciprine!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching... Not going to grade Tomlin at all this preseason because we know he does next to nothing. Offense looked good for having a vanilla plan. Makes me very hopeful for what Fichtner brings to the table. Defense looked the same, nothing to really be excited about. Tackling didn’t look any better. C+

Offense... didn’t start Pouncey, which was quickly evident when Fletcher Cox was tearing through the O-line to get to Landry. Once Philly pulled their starters then PIT went to work. Not sure if that 70yd TD to JuJu was a good pass by Landry or not. Looked like an underthrown ball. Luckily the DB fell down or who knows what might have happened. Overall Landry had a solid outing. Dobbs made some good plays but that INT was a bad throw that will haunt him. Aside from the ball security issues (which had more to do with bad protection), Rudolph looked good. Would like to see what he can do with better protection. RBs... Conner had some solid runs, but whiffed on a pass block. Gotta get a helmet on someone back there. Fitz looks rejuvenated. What a cut on that TD! Ridley looked good amongst the scrubs. Not sure what that means but his 1.4 ypc was nothing to write home about. Want to see more of that Franklin kid. Wide receivers... Move over Eli, Patterson is here to say. That TD catch was easily the play of the game. If he can keep up this level of play then he’ll be impossible to cut. Juju was juju, and Washington was exactly as advertised. The way he bodies the DB is truly somethin! I’m very excited to see him play with Ben. B+

Defense... I think it only took a few series before the reality of our defensive situation to set in. Their LBs are pretty sad. I know they were without Bud & TJ, but man did Matakevich & Bostic look pedestrian. Hell even Keion Adams reminded me that he was a 7th Rd pick. Matakevich is serviceable, but his athleticism is quite the limiting factor. It was brutally obvious in this game. First the pump fake that dropped him on his ass, but he also whiffed big time on another tackle. Bostic had some decent tackles but had a huge whiff on that long Ajayi run. Hopefully that’s just shakin off the rust. On the Goedert TD it looked like Bostic bit on the QB spy & gave up his zone. Flashed some potential on other plays though & has a good nose for the ball. Adams got very close on numerous plays but either overran the play or didn’t finish. Huguenin & Adeniyi were ballers though. Hopefully we get to see more from them in the next game. Secondary... good opportunistic INTs but each were taken with a grain of salt. That Sens INT was a good play by a vet schooling Sudfeld in the ways of the NFL. Sudfield glared down the receiver the whole way, and Sens took advantage. Good heads up play, but too many times did Sens get burned by doin the exact same thing last year. Smarter QBs would pump fake him on a double move and he’d be burnt toast. Sutton looked solid and I’m hoping he’ll be a big time contributor this season. His INT looked like a terrible throw & decision, but good for him to be in position. Edmunds & Burnett looked very solid. Phillips may have cost himself a roster position, but Brian Allen was a ghost so the competition is still alive. He needs to redeem himself. Also didn’t even see Marcus Allen? C+

ST... would love to see Henderson get a real return. Didn’t quite find the wiggle room to show us what he’s got. Maybe next game. Boz looks like he’s in midseason form. Berry looks the same, which isnt a good thing. B+

Probably forgot a few things but it was an encouraging first game. Lots still to shake out but I’m glad there weren’t any major injuries. Sounds like Finney’s injury was just a contusion. Need to see a lot more from the LBs or this defense is going to rely heavily on the D-line. C+

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching... Not going to grade Tomlin at all this preseason because we know he does next to nothing. Offense looked good for having a vanilla plan. Makes me very hopeful for what Fichtner brings to the table. Defense looked the same, nothing to really be excited about. Tackling didn’t look any better. C+

Offense... didn’t start Pouncey, which was quickly evident when Fletcher Cox was tearing through the O-line to get to Landry. Once Philly pulled their starters then PIT went to work. Not sure if that 70yd TD to JuJu was a good pass by Landry or not. Looked like an underthrown ball. Luckily the DB fell down or who knows what might have happened. Overall Landry had a solid outing. Dobbs made some good plays but that INT was a bad throw that will haunt him. Aside from the ball security issues (which had more to do with bad protection), Rudolph looked good. Would like to see what he can do with better protection. RBs... Conner had some solid runs, but whiffed on a pass block. Gotta get a helmet on someone back there. Fitz looks rejuvenated. What a cut on that TD! Ridley looked good amongst the scrubs. Not sure what that means but his 1.4 ypc was nothing to write home about. Want to see more of that Franklin kid. Wide receivers... Move over Eli, Patterson is here to say. That TD catch was easily the play of the game. If he can keep up this level of play then he’ll be impossible to cut. Juju was juju, and Washington was exactly as advertised. The way he bodies the DB is truly somethin! I’m very excited to see him play with Ben. B+

Defense... I think it only took a few series before the reality of our defensive situation to set in. Their LBs are pretty sad. I know they were without Bud & TJ, but man did Matakevich & Bostic look pedestrian. Hell even Keion Adams reminded me that he was a 7th Rd pick. Matakevich is serviceable, but his athleticism is quite the limiting factor. It was brutally obvious in this game. First the pump fake that dropped him on his ass, but he also whiffed big time on another tackle. Bostic had some decent tackles but had a huge whiff on that long Ajayi run. Hopefully that’s just shakin off the rust. On the Goedert TD it looked like Bostic bit on the QB spy & gave up his zone. Flashed some potential on other plays though & has a good nose for the ball. Adams got very close on numerous plays but either overran the play or didn’t finish. Huguenin & Adeniyi were ballers though. Hopefully we get to see more from them in the next game. Secondary... good opportunistic INTs but each were taken with a grain of salt. That Sens INT was a good play by a vet schooling Sudfeld in the ways of the NFL. Sudfield glared down the receiver the whole way, and Sens took advantage. Good heads up play, but too many times did Sens get burned by doin the exact same thing last year. Smarter QBs would pump fake him on a double move and he’d be burnt toast. Sutton looked solid and I’m hoping he’ll be a big time contributor this season. His INT looked like a terrible throw & decision, but good for him to be in position. Edmunds & Burnett looked very solid. Phillips may have cost himself a roster position, but Brian Allen was a ghost so the competition is still alive. He needs to redeem himself. Also didn’t even see Marcus Allen? C+

ST... would love to see Henderson get a real return. Didn’t quite find the wiggle room to show us what he’s got. Maybe next game. Boz looks like he’s in midseason form. Berry looks the same, which isnt a good thing. B+

Probably forgot a few things but it was an encouraging first game. Lots still to shake out but I’m glad there weren’t any major injuries. Sounds like Finney’s injury was just a contusion. Need to see a lot more from the LBs or this defense is going to rely heavily on the D-line. C+

Thanks Face!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS

I didn't see the game, saw the score only this morning...(I know I've been buried) Lol

Good to see some young guys showing something early. Matthews might see the field sooner than we think if the LB play doesn't improve.