• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Premature speculation

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<Don't you hate when that happens?>
Okay, so the Flyers trade Streit for two draft picks and Filpula. Filpula is a legitimate top 9 player with wheels who can play center or wing and is almost better at even strength. Filpula is only under contract for one more season...

The Flyers sign Belmare to a 2 year contract at 1.4. Nice for him. He is positionally the soundest player on the roster and he has a lot more skill than he is credited with.

The Flyers sign Neuvirth to a 2 year deal for 2.5. A 900 thousand dollar raise (we should all be so lucky) during a mediocre season. The biggest upshot of this is that Mason is playing the best hockey of the season and ... when he is playing at the top of his game, Mason is the much better goalie. This also makes Neuvirth the only goalie in the Flyers organization (besides Carter Hart) who is under contract for next season. Lyon and Stolarz are RFA. Mason is a UFA.

Jordan Weal will be a UFA

Ghost, Cousins and Lyubimov are RFA's.

The Flyers will have aproximately 13 million to work with if nothing changes between now and 19 contract spots. They don't need to fill all 50 possible slots and this doesn't mean that the team as it stands now will simply move forward. I would expect that between the expansion draft and the entry draft the Flyers will loose 2 or 3 players who are signed for next season through trades and or expansion. They will of course draft additional players and then comes free agency. This is not a year full of A talent. This will be a year of depth and matching players to systems. (something that Holmgren was never very good at and Hextall has yet to prove he is adept)

Basically, regardless of what the Flyers do for the remainder of the regular season and playoffs...it is going to be an exciting ride.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Filppula is the player Hexy thinks he is and he can function well as our second line center, then to me, he's worth $5 million. As you say, we have extra cap to utilize next season anyway with guys like Streit, Mason, MDZ and Schultz off the books. We also probably have a few prospects to fill those positions, which saves a lot of money.

I have zero issue with Neuvirth or Bellemare and re-signing them. Neuvy could easily be our starter next season and if so, $2.5 million is cheap for that role. Bellemare does a great job for us defensively, on the penalty kill and cycling the puck in the offensive zone. He doesn't need to score to be effective.

Players like Ghost, Cousins, Weal and Lyubimov could possibly all be offered contracts as they have all impressed at times.

There's room for at least a couple of defensive prospects like Morin, Hagg, Myers or Sanheim to make the team out of camp next season. The same can be said for Stolarz. He played in four games this season with the big club and never disappointed. These will be exciting changes for sure.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Filppula is the player Hexy thinks he is and he can function well as our second line center, then to me, he's worth $5 million. As you say, we have extra cap to utilize next season anyway with guys like Streit, Mason, MDZ and Schultz off the books. We also probably have a few prospects to fill those positions, which saves a lot of money.

I have zero issue with Neuvirth or Bellemare and re-signing them. Neuvy could easily be our starter next season and if so, $2.5 million is cheap for that role. Bellemare does a great job for us defensively, on the penalty kill and cycling the puck in the offensive zone. He doesn't need to score to be effective.

Players like Ghost, Cousins, Weal and Lyubimov could possibly all be offered contracts as they have all impressed at times.

There's room for at least a couple of defensive prospects like Morin, Hagg, Myers or Sanheim to make the team out of camp next season. The same can be said for Stolarz. He played in four games this season with the big club and never disappointed. These will be exciting changes for sure.
Did they make these signings to expose them in the expansion draft? After all you need to expose at least one goalie that's signed if I'm correct. Who do you think they will expose?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they make these signings to expose them in the expansion draft? After all you need to expose at least one goalie that's signed if I'm correct. Who do you think they will expose?

Well, now we have more options I'd say. I think they are trying to protect Stolarz and leave Neuvy exposed. Mason can walk or if he plays very well late, we could re-sign him still. I don't think Vegas will take Neuvy regardless. We would rather that they take one of our skaters anyway. Like Weise, MacDonald or even Read.

I did a mock expansion draft and if we leave Stolarz exposed, he may actually get taken. Why? Because the forwards and defense that we have available are not that intriguing.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that Flippula is really here to buy time for Rubstrov to develop, and some of the other forward prospects. He is as much a place holder (who can play in the place he is holding).

I think that Neuvirth was resigned to be exposed. I also think that ALL of the goalie prospects whose contracts are up get resigned. No NHL level goalie will be offered more than two years (IMHO) to allow for the younger goalies to move in.

At least one of the Phantoms blue line will be in the NHL if not more.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think Neuvy was signed to expose him as they featured him for those games coming into the deadline to see if anyone wanted to trade for him and when everyone took a pass we signed him. I can only hope that Frenchie was signed to expose him to be taken as his new contract is too much for the effect he has on the game. It would be nice to have Read taken and get his contract off the books and i dont know if anyone wants Wiese