• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post your name here if

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, this is last years team with much fewer injuries. That's the difference more than anything. They have held the starting rotation together for the first half of the season. Last year they set a record for the number of starters used before the all star game.

Add one more solid arm to the rotation and they can compete for the west title.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, this is last years team with much fewer injuries. That's the difference more than anything. They have held the starting rotation together for the first half of the season. Last year they set a record for the number of starters used before the all star game.

Even if that's years rotation stayed injury free I don't think they could have put up the numbers they have so far. Outside of Felix, the staff is playing above their averages and outside Leake all are pitching more innings than could possibly have been expected.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if that's years rotation stayed injury free I don't think they could have put up the numbers they have so far. Outside of Felix, the staff is playing above their averages and outside Leake all are pitching more innings than could possibly have been expected.
If the question is contending for a WC or not, as in we aren't even talking about WS caliber or going hard after Houston for the division, then that is indeed the difference. You take that starting 5 on opening day and let them go the season and they are the WC team. I have absolutely no doubt at all. None. They weren't far off as it was with all of those piled up injuries.

I didn't say they also didn't improve with a couple of players added on. Gonzo has been better than expected, Leake is adding something, can't forget Gordon and his production.

I'm simply saying the biggest difference is the lack of injury, not the ONLY one.

And I'm still very much waiting for the inevitable Paxton month off and whatever else will happen over the second half. The absolutely great news is they have built up a pretty incredible buffer now to absorb a few of those without tanking the season. I have a feeling they are very much going to need the cushion.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are the rah rah folks? No more gloating over I told you so or questioning those unwilling to blindly ignore history and the flaws of this team? Just taking the weekend off and back at it next week?

In all seriousness though, to those that did jump both feet back in and all but started to put money away for world series tickets, does this snap back to reality hurt at all? Would it have been easier to deal with if the enthusiasm was tempered at all back when the M's were feasting on the sisters of the poor?

Sorry to burst that everlasting storm cloud over your head, but this team is still good.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the question is contending for a WC or not, as in we aren't even talking about WS caliber or going hard after Houston for the division, then that is indeed the difference. You take that starting 5 on opening day and let them go the season and they are the WC team. I have absolutely no doubt at all. None. They weren't far off as it was with all of those piled up injuries.

I didn't say they also didn't improve with a couple of players added on. Gonzo has been better than expected, Leake is adding something, can't forget Gordon and his production.

I'm simply saying the biggest difference is the lack of injury, not the ONLY one.

And I'm still very much waiting for the inevitable Paxton month off and whatever else will happen over the second half. The absolutely great news is they have built up a pretty incredible buffer now to absorb a few of those without tanking the season. I have a feeling they are very much going to need the cushion.

I was just talking about how I think this team is much better than the team last year even if everyone had stayed healthy. Even with all the additions this year you still have to account they have played a good portion of the season without their best player.

I get the Paxton thing but I think his jinx might have been bursted in Minnesota. He has been nagged with stupid, for the most part, non baseball related injuries. If anybody would have been injured by a bird attack it is him but he has survived and gone on to be the unquestioned ace. If not for a lucky homerun in NY and the scorekeeper and his defense screwing him badly against Boston he would be a shoe in for the AS game. But they should add a pitcher just for the stretch run.

This team is competing for the WC, but I wouldn't rule out the West just yet. The Mariners haven't done very well against the top 3 teams on the road, but those teams have also struggled this year against inferior teams that Mariners have beaten.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners haven't done very well against the top 3 teams on the road, but those teams have also struggled this year against inferior teams that Mariners have beaten.

Tampa for example... We got swept by the Yankees and the following series, TB swept the Yankees... I believe that TB just swept Houston last week, too...

I'm enjoying this team and the great baseball being played... I've never understood how a fan can't be excited about their team when they're playing well above expectations... It's comical seeing the pessimistic fans not appreciating/enjoying the great run we've been on this year... This is some of the best baseball I've seen from the Mariners since 2001... Enjoy the ride!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa for example... We got swept by the Yankees and the following series, TB swept the Yankees... I believe that TB just swept Houston last week, too...

I'm enjoying this team and the great baseball being played... I've never understood how a fan can't be excited about their team when they're playing well above expectations... It's comical seeing the pessimistic fans not appreciating/enjoying the great run we've been on this year... This is some of the best baseball I've seen from the Mariners since 2001... Enjoy the ride!

I will never fault any fan of the Mariners for being pessimistic. This team has never once given the fans real hope. Even in 2001 they refused to make a trade that put them over the top. I'm pessimistic about the team, but as I've said before, I'm a Coug, even when you know or feel bad things will happen you still enjoy the few good times you have.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll say this again since it seems I have to. You can both enjoy the wins now and still have pause to believe it will go somewhere at the end of the season. They are not in any way mutually exclusive. Some of you up here act as though you believe 'pessimistic' fans never have any joy and some believe we are actually upset when we are doing well as though the 40+ years of coming up short is something we want.

There are no rules to being a fan. But if there were, the first one should be don't attack other fans in your own base. Stick to attacking fans of other teams.

I've watched more games this year than probably the last 2 years combined which would not happen at all if they weren't doing great things and bringing some fun.

Yeah, I am with quite a few up here that firmly believe this organization has a ways to go to be a true contender. They are much improved. Love the balance of guys that can get on and put pressure with base stealing and power hitters. However they still have zero depth in the organization and a couple of injuries here or there likely will sink them. That's just a reality of baseball we have seen over and over and over that cannot be ignored. Even if we are still pumped after some individual win or great series.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to burst that everlasting storm cloud over your head, but this team is still good.
giphy.gif

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revisiting, because now, due to recent games and the inability to perform, we now face the all-too-real possibility of Oakland zipping past us and taking that second wild card spot, while we flounder with our injured pitchers and sudden batting deficiency.

Now with us starting to question DiPoto's raging stiffy over Servais' lack of managerial skills, it's likely that we're looking at the biggest season choke since 2002, when the front office refused to make any trades to help us.

It's happening. And we're letting it happen.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade dead line hasn't past yet so i'm going into a holding pattern and give JP a chance to make the moves that are needed.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best move he could make would be to see how much the organization would have to pay a team to take Servais off our hands.....:noidea:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revisiting, because now, due to recent games and the inability to perform, we now face the all-too-real possibility of Oakland zipping past us and taking that second wild card spot, while we flounder with our injured pitchers and sudden batting deficiency.

Now with us starting to question DiPoto's raging stiffy over Servais' lack of managerial skills, it's likely that we're looking at the biggest season choke since 2002, when the front office refused to make any trades to help us.

It's happening. And we're letting it happen.

2002 is a good comparison especially with how the A's broke the record for wins in a row to chase down the Mariners. Huge difference then though was the Mariners were built as an old ass team on their last legs with a GM and Manager who hated each other. This squad has some old guys but also has youth that it should be able to depend upon and a GM and Manager who can't complete a sentence without complimenting the other.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and not too surprising we have nothing but
giphy.gif

up here.

You can't win a playoff spot in June. It hasn't ever happened in the history of the sport.

I wasn't really here much during their 8 game winning streak either, which actually allowed me to appreciate it more..

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said any of the following:

This team sucks
We need to blow it up and rebuild
Jerry Dipoto doesnt know what he is doing
Jerry Dipoto should be fired
We traded away good prospects for Wal Mart pitchers
Its going to be another long season
Its going to be another long 5-6 years with this Management

The list can go on, the mariners are currently 1 game out of first and 13 games above .500. Has all the trades and signings our Jerry has done worked out no? but he didnt have much to work with when he took over and things are looking descent. We won the trade with Arizona, Gordon looks great, Gonzales finally looks descent and we are finally not a joke anymore. We have along season still but I am excited about the direction we are going in.

*Knocks on wood
Bump for the lolz

Lead gone Team in a tailspin. Nothing particularly going right. Another year of the exact same shit they always do. This time with drug suspensions.

Mariners Baseball.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump for the lolz

Lead gone Team in a tailspin. Nothing particularly going right. Another year of the exact same shit they always do. This time with drug suspensions.

Mariners Baseball.

Stros lost so maybe the Rockies can do us a solid and hold their lead on the A's

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give seattlefan75 props for actually trying to be happy about this team. 41 years of it has made me bitter beyond belief and I have zero faith in them in any way. I actually don't even get upset anymore since it is just a rerun for me. It is kind of like watching the 6th Sense. Well written and a great show the first time around, but since the ending is everything it is just 'eh' in reruns.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give seattlefan75 props for actually trying to be happy about this team. 41 years of it has made me bitter beyond belief and I have zero faith in them in any way. I actually don't even get upset anymore since it is just a rerun for me. It is kind of like watching the 6th Sense. Well written and a great show the first time around, but since the ending is everything it is just 'eh' in reruns.
Agreed, and actually I sort of envy those that can entirely ignore who this team is and get that far up. It isn't the false hope stuff I bring this thread up for though, it's those that were slamming people who were holding something back, well because of what did end up happening. The same crap that always happens and just feels like it always will.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for different results but alas the wheels seem to be falling off. Like I said some posts back, this FO needs to open the check book and bring in a couple very good high priced guys in the off season. Of course I have no idea of next years FA list.