• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Position Groups: Defensive Backfield

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This group could still need some upgrades, but there are some new faces and people that I we may have forgotten about. Here's the roster per ChicagoBears.com
(the number after name is years of service) Who are your starters?

CB
Alan Ball- 8
Quman Black- R
Bryce Callahan- R
Kyle Fuller- 2
Demontre Hurst- 2
Tim Jennings-10
Al Louis-Jean-2
Sherrick McManis- 6

Safety
Adrian Amos- R
Malcolm Brown- 1
Anthony Jefferson- R
Ryan Mundy- 7
Antre Rolle- 11
Brock Vereen- 2

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential Starters:

CB- Kyle Fuller
CB- Alan Ball/Tim Jennings
S- Antre Rolle/Adrian Amos
S- Ryan Mundy/Brock Vereen
Nickel- Tim Jennings/Sherrick McManis

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB1- Fuller
CB2- Jennings
S- Rolle
S- Mundy (I hope Amos can come in and play well, but I doubt it'll happen.)
Nickel- McManus

I think Fuller is our only quality DB. I think Rolle is on his way downhill. Jennings is too short. If he were 6'2 he would be an amazing corner, but bigger receivers can just out jump him for the ball. It happens a lot in the end zone. Mundy is average.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mind me. Just another in a series of senior moments.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears cornerback Tim Jennings is "still trying to figure out" where he will fit into the secondary this season, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

The nine-year veteran, who is entering his sixth season in the Windy City, has 95 career starts and led the league in interceptions in 2012. He is even a two-time Pro Bowler. But he spent significant time as the slot corner in minicamp. That's an unsatisfying role for him that he just might be forced to embrace.

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio prefers his outside corners tall and physical. Jennings is 5-8, 185 pounds. He might still earn an outside role opposite Kyle Fuller, but do achieve that goal he must at the very least outperform free agent pickup Alan Ball, who better fits the ideal description.

If the words of new coach John Fox are any indication, that's unlikely to happen.

"Dimension-wise, he's built like a nickel corner," Fox said. "He's played it before."

This is why I'm saying Jennings is the "starting" nickel. And in reality they face 3 WR sets more then not... so they will need 3 corners on the field at all times anyway. Don't rule out Ball as the "Starting" CB opposite of Fuller.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears cornerback Tim Jennings is "still trying to figure out" where he will fit into the secondary this season, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

The nine-year veteran, who is entering his sixth season in the Windy City, has 95 career starts and led the league in interceptions in 2012. He is even a two-time Pro Bowler. But he spent significant time as the slot corner in minicamp. That's an unsatisfying role for him that he just might be forced to embrace.

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio prefers his outside corners tall and physical. Jennings is 5-8, 185 pounds. He might still earn an outside role opposite Kyle Fuller, but do achieve that goal he must at the very least outperform free agent pickup Alan Ball, who better fits the ideal description.

If the words of new coach John Fox are any indication, that's unlikely to happen.

"Dimension-wise, he's built like a nickel corner," Fox said. "He's played it before."

This is why I'm saying Jennings is the "starting" nickel. And in reality they face 3 WR sets more then not... so they will need 3 corners on the field at all times anyway. Don't rule out Ball as the "Starting" CB opposite of Fuller.

Secret Superstars 2014: Jaguars | ProFootballFocus.com

A little write-up on Ball's career before last year. He seems to have really improved steadily over the course of his career, but certainly nothing spectacular. Perhaps in Fangio's system he can find more success.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Ball is a press corner. That's basically his whole schtick. He ios extremely mediocre in coverage, which was why Dallas playing him at safety was such a mistake, because he blew coverages so badly they benched him. But he is solid at pressing. If our rush gets there fast enough, he will do fine. But he will also give up TDs. I agree he does not belong in the nickel, that makes absolutely no sense.