• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff hope is still alive...very slim though

B

bravesfan1

this article was posted last week... so far everything has fallen into place for the Falcons to somehow make the playoffs...here are the sceniros needed to happen for the Falcons to be in.... with the Falcons win and Seahawks loss, all eyes are on the Minnesota game now...

1. Falcons win their final two games
I mean… that’s a given.

2. BOTH Minnesota AND Seattle must-lose their final two games.
That’s important, because even though Seattle has clinched, that would force a three-way tie for the NFC’s 2 wildcard spots.

Why is that a big deal? Head-to-head losses only count if one team beats BOTH of the other two. Since Seattle beat Minnesota, the Falcons loss to the Vikings does NOT factor in.

Confused yet? Well… you’re probably not going to like #3.

3. Math
Yes, the thing you probably should have paid more attention to your sophomore year.

If 1 and 2 happen, the Vikings and Falcons would be tied in the next tie-breaker, conference win-loss. Which means this will come down to “strength of victory,” which is the combined winning percentage of the teams Atlanta and Minnesota faced this year.

The seven teams the Falcons have beat this year have a combined .388 winning percentage.

The seven teams the Vikings have beaten (they beat Detroit and Chicago twice) have a combine .409 winning percentage. So if the Falcons seven does well in the last two weeks, and the Vikings seven does poorly, the Falcons could sneak ahead of the Vikings in the tie-breaker.

Yeah we're a bit confused too.

Let’s make it easy. Here’s who you should cheer for and against this week.

Cheer FOR: Falcons (duh), Giants, Rams, Redskins

Cheer AGAINST: Vikings, Seahawks, Lions, Bears

We’ll revisit next week.

Copyright 2015 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

How the Atlanta Falcons can still make the playoffs: luck, skill and math

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love for Atlanta to make the playoffs l but I won't keep my hopes up.

B

bravesfan1

I would love for Atlanta to make the playoffs l but I won't keep my hopes up.
the good thing.... Seatle goes to Arizona next week, and the Vikings go to Green Bay.... and if the team that played today shows up next week, you would think they can beat the Saints... im not holding my breath though.... but the chance is still there, and the way the last couple of months went... im shocked

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the good thing.... Seatle goes to Arizona next week, and the Vikings go to Green Bay.... and if the team that played today shows up next week, you would think they can beat the Saints... im not holding my breath though.... but the chance is still there, and the way the last couple of months went... im shocked
I'm pretty confident in the Cardinals but Green Bay hasn't been playing well lately.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a long shot, but still a shot.

At any rate, if we beat the Saints and finish the season 9-7, I'd still call it a successful season all things considered even if we miss the playoffs.

B

bravesfan1

It's a long shot, but still a shot.

At any rate, if we beat the Saints and finish the season 9-7, I'd still call it a successful season all things considered even if we miss the playoffs.
I agree 100%!!!!!! 9-7 would be great....even without the playoffs... and after beating the Panthers today... it really makes the season better.. being the first team to beat them this year..

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%!!!!!! 9-7 would be great....even without the playoffs... and after beating the Panthers today... it really makes the season better.. being the first team to beat them this year..

It would be a 3 game improvement over last season while playing in an improved NFC South.

We really need to focus on both the offensive and defensive lines during the draft and free agency, but I have confidence in Dan Quinn as a coach. We have no star power on defense and an o-line we put together literally a month before the season started.