• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Picked up the Wilson Triton Driver

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I needed a new driver and didn't want to drop $500 on one. Checked out the Wilson Triton and fell in love. I got it for $139 and it feels like many of the $500 drivers I tried out at the shop. It's the later, conforming, model and I love how adjustable it is. I haven't had a chance to really tweak it to my own swing but I've noticed a massive improvement on my drives from my old Callaway driver I've had since the early 2000's.

My goal this year is to consistently get under 100. I'm usually in the 100-105 range.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought one of these last year and really like it. I didn't hit it as far as the epic, but the misses were far less pronounced with this club. I'd rather be 10-20 yards shorter in the fairway than in the woods...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought one of these last year and really like it. I didn't hit it as far as the epic, but the misses were far less pronounced with this club. I'd rather be 10-20 yards shorter in the fairway than in the woods...
I really like that I can tweak it to my swing. I think it will help my game out in the long run because I can't ever seem to get consistent trajectories out of my old driver. More importantly, it was a 9.5 loft and I was always hitting balls really low. Which sucked if there was obstacles right off the bat that you have to hit over. I think the 10.5 will do a lot better for me, and if need be, I can bump it up to 11.5 with the adjustment.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wait a year or two until they mark down the $700 models to a buck-fiddy.

Nah, I'm kiddin, I actually still use wooden woods

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're scoring over 100 stop wasting your money on equipment and invest in some lessons from a good pro.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like that I can tweak it to my swing. I think it will help my game out in the long run because I can't ever seem to get consistent trajectories out of my old driver. More importantly, it was a 9.5 loft and I was always hitting balls really low. Which sucked if there was obstacles right off the bat that you have to hit over. I think the 10.5 will do a lot better for me, and if need be, I can bump it up to 11.5 with the adjustment.

Most of the newer drivers have hosel adjustments to close the face, open it, increase/decrease loft...Wilson has really dropped back in terms of being a front line equipment company but they're a massive sports equipment company that probably doesn't focus on golf as much these days. There a few tour players play their irons, and Troy Merritt just won using the D300 driver....like that really helps us...lol

Seems like an older model (same way I buy drivers...normally the outgoing model)...Hard to go wrong at that price.

Now get out there and swing away!

Good luck with it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're scoring over 100 stop wasting your money on equipment and invest in some lessons from a good pro.

This is mostly true, but a new club can renew your enthusiasm...lessons may actually follow...but not likely if he kept the same clubs.

A bit better than 100, but a friend of mine is a 90-95 player just bought new irons, driver, etc...new Callaway Rogue stuff so he spent some nice coin...I think he'll eventually see that he needs some help with his swing to get under 90 consistently.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I don't care THAT much. I actually did have golf lessons probably 10 years ago but I entirely play just for fun. I needed a new driver because my old one was, well, old and wasn't really good to begin with. I got it off the rack for like $70 at Dicks like 10 years ago. It needed new grips and I didn't feel like spending $40 to replace the grip on a golf club that old and more than half the price of the original. So this was a good upgrade for me and one I'm pretty excited about; it's now on par with my other clubs.

I know what I'm doing wrong but bad habits always creep back in. Problem is that I played baseball for about 18 years of my life so my baseball swing naturally creeps in. I really need to think about my golf swing while I'm doing it because it goes against everything in a baseball swing.

Honestly, though, one of my worst problems is putting. I can typically get it to the green in 2-3 shots but then I ALWAYS 2-3 putt. Worst part of my game. I'd say on a typical course I bogey or double bogey most holes but always have one or two GD hole(s) where I basically just give up that throw me over that 100 mark.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is mostly true, but a new club can renew your enthusiasm...lessons may actually follow...but not likely if he kept the same clubs.

A bit better than 100, but a friend of mine is a 90-95 player just bought new irons, driver, etc...new Callaway Rogue stuff so he spent some nice coin...I think he'll eventually see that he needs some help with his swing to get under 90 consistently.
Hell, I'd argue the equipment is half the fun of playing golf. My old driver was starting to fall apart and just needed a new one. Playing with better equipment is always more fun.

I bogey most holes, which I'm typically happy with. If I get a few pars on the day then I feel accomplished. In a weird way, since I don't really play in any official capacity, I tend to treat golf as an individual hole game rather than a collective 18 hole game. If I get a birdie, then my day has been an overwhelming success even if I shot 7's one the rest of the holes.

But ultimately, as "people" always say, golf is just a good walk ruined lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I'd argue the equipment is half the fun of playing golf. My old driver was starting to fall apart and just needed a new one. Playing with better equipment is always more fun.

I bogey most holes, which I'm typically happy with. If I get a few pars on the day then I feel accomplished. In a weird way, since I don't really play in any official capacity, I tend to treat golf as an individual hole game rather than a collective 18 hole game. If I get a birdie, then my day has been an overwhelming success even if I shot 7's one the rest of the holes.

For someone that maybe doesn't play a ton...I really like your approach to the game!

I recently played a tournament at Mrytle Beach and on the middle day we were paired with a golf newbie...just really really tense early in the round, but after awhile he started making solid contact, but he probably took the max score (+3) on most of the holes, but on one par 4 he hit a fairway, hit a GIR, and had two putts for par and was beaming the rest of the way...I shot like 88 and was kinda frustrated after shooting 81 the previous day...shaking hands on the 18th green and thinking about this guy's round and how he handled it...I quickly dropped my frustration!

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For someone that maybe doesn't play a ton...I really like your approach to the game!

I recently played a tournament at Mrytle Beach and on the middle day we were paired with a golf newbie...just really really tense early in the round, but after awhile he started making solid contact, but he probably took the max score (+3) on most of the holes, but on one par 4 he hit a fairway, hit a GIR, and had two putts for par and was beaming the rest of the way...I shot like 88 and was kinda frustrated after shooting 81 the previous day...shaking hands on the 18th green and thinking about this guy's round and how he handled it...I quickly dropped my frustration!
I've always preferred a more casual golfing experience. I just don't golf enough to ever really tune in my swing to the point where I can get down in the 80's. I've been 4 times this year and that's the most I've been golfing in a season in probably around 10 years. I usually golf just enough to say, "I should go to the range and work on this thing I'm doing wrong" and then the Summer is over. But I'm playing in some scramble for the UM Wrestling team coming up here in August and figured I couldn't show up with a driver who's grip is falling off lol.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't play anymore. (Horrible legs) But for the 25-30 years I did play, I could never find a wood that I could hit. I knwo it was me, I had pro lessons to help but I would complete miss the ball on at least 60-65% of my swings. I think it was because the woods got so huge. Anyway, I finally found two really nice driving irons and could hit them between 250-275 yards and keep the ball in the fairway. They cost me about $100 each. Once I kept the ball in play, I could stay in the low 80s and every once in a while, the mid 70s.

If I could still play, I might give this Triton a try.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My strategy is to shoot a five on every hole. If i get in trouble it keeps me from making really stupid decisions...not all the time, but most of the time. If I get a couple of pars or birdies along the way, then I'm in the low forties and once in a great while, an upper 30 over nine holes.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t even bother keeping score most days. If I can get on the green in 3 for a shot at par I’m happy. If I sink it to save bogey I even happier. If I’m close to the hole, I’ll just scoop it and move to the next tee box.

I just turn on some Pink Floyd and casually walk the course.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an epic and it’s pretty forgiving.

Some of the par 4s at my home course dog leg pretty bad and one of them is pretty short with a lot of beach in front of it so I tee off with an iron a lot. Especially from the short tee boxes

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My strategy is to shoot a five on every hole. If i get in trouble it keeps me from making really stupid decisions...not all the time, but most of the time. If I get a couple of pars or birdies along the way, then I'm in the low forties and once in a great while, an upper 30 over nine holes.
That’s pretty much my strategy except on par 3’s. Honestly think pat 5s are easier for me because I usually have no problem getting to the green in 3 or. 4.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't play anymore. (Horrible legs) But for the 25-30 years I did play, I could never find a wood that I could hit. I knwo it was me, I had pro lessons to help but I would complete miss the ball on at least 60-65% of my swings. I think it was because the woods got so huge. Anyway, I finally found two really nice driving irons and could hit them between 250-275 yards and keep the ball in the fairway. They cost me about $100 each. Once I kept the ball in play, I could stay in the low 80s and every once in a while, the mid 70s.

If I could still play, I might give this Triton a try.

Tough that you've had to give up the game due to physical issues, but it happens. Seems like you were a pretty good player when you could play.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's actually part of my problem...sometimes I have a hard time accepting bogey and as a result end up with dbl or worse. Then other times I can roll off 4 or 5 pars in a row, maybe a birdie in there and look like I really know what I'm doing out there.

The life of the once a week player...play just enough to have expectations, but not really enough to realize them...at least not consistently.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough that you've had to give up the game due to physical issues, but it happens. Seems like you were a pretty good player when you could play.

I worked my ass off trying to constantly get better. Finally I realized that I was working so hard, it really wasn't fun. I said screw it, enjoy the walk. Once I started to relax, my game game got better and better. Still had to be careful not to fall into the "improvement" mode.

I do wish I could play at least once a month, but I fall down too much.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked my ass off trying to constantly get better. Finally I realized that I was working so hard, it really wasn't fun. I said screw it, enjoy the walk. Once I started to relax, my game game got better and better. Still had to be careful not to fall into the "improvement" mode.

I do wish I could play at least once a month, but I fall down too much.

Sounds a little like myself...prior to the real estate crash and this office job, I played and practiced golf a lot. Played 2-3 times a week, had lessons, and was hitting balls/chipping etc. another 2+ days...(my wife grew to hate golf I think as a result) and the best I got was an 8 index...out of every 10 rounds maybe 2 or 3 would be in the high 70s and the rest low-mid 80s...but I just hit a wall.

At least as far as golf is concerned, the Recession was probably for the best...I had to put my clubs down for a while and figure out how to make money in that economy. About 5 yrs ago I started back playing regularly. Now as a once a week player I have a totally different outlook...physically I've got a gimpy right knee, and back issues so I just can't hit as many ball like I once did.

The game still can be frustrating at times, but I don't bring it home like I used do. I do empathy for you though...it's a great game, and I've seen guys go through knee and hip replacements just to keep playing.