• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Per NCAA: Players can play in up to 4 games without losing a year

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mentioned the SEC specifically.
Yeah? They play 4 OOC games right? As in 4 games you can play without burning a RS year. And most SEC teams play their last OOC game the week before their rivalry game.

It fit. It was an observation. Stop being so damned defensive.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really like it. Good intentions but lots of teams will game the system . What's to stop a loaded team from rotating their studs throughout the season and getting 6 or 7 years of play out of guys ? Or now you're even more likely to see elite recruits go to the same 5 schools " hey I know our starting QB is only a sophomore but you'll get 2 play 8 games the next 2 years and still be a freshman ".

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really like it. Good intentions but lots of teams will game the system . What's to stop a loaded team from rotating their studs throughout the season and getting 6 or 7 years of play out of guys ? Or now you're even more likely to see elite recruits go to the same 5 schools " hey I know our starting QB is only a sophomore but you'll get 2 play 8 games the next 2 years and still be a freshman ".
Um, they still have 5 years to play 4. That didn't change.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have an issue with this rule, but once coaches really understand how to play the rule...the rich will get richer.

The formula for success at Wake Forest was to redshirt entire
frosh classes. They wanted and needed 5th year seniors to
grab a winning season, every now and then.

The Big Boys will always have frosh that will earn a starting
spot right away. But, now they'll be able to utilize the rest
of their frosh class in 4 games and still keep their redshirt
season. Players that will redshirt will go up. Coaches will
just have to study the players a bit more and preschedule which
games they will use them in, to fully take advantage of the new
rule. (I imagine Saban is working on a chart right now)

There is only one other improvement that could be employed to
help players. JV Football, that would count as a redshirt year.
Schools (Big schools) don't field JV's anymore because they count
that as a year of competition. Div III good schools, make a killing
with their JV program. Read about Mt Union's JV program...you'll
understand why they are always excellent.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it. Let guys get a little game experience in blowouts without blowing the redshirt. I’m not too worried about coaching “gaming the system” on this one tbh. Anyone worth a damn won’t be redshirted anyways and now younger guys can get a few reps their first year in real game situations. The worst you might see is some stud who’s 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and is okay with being RS but still good enough to play used down the stretch. Not sure that’s too exploitative.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Loaded teams with studs to rotate tend to send a lot off to the NFL after only using 3 years of eligibility. Really I think this will help more of the teams with loads of 3* talent to get a few more games played than teams like Alabama that send their studs to the NFL.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the stated purpose of the rule change is to keep guys from playing hurt to protect burning red shirts so it's being sold as a player safety thing. And of course it means if you play those kids in lessor games you are protecting some of your bigger players from freak/stupid injuries in meaningless games. Most skill players won't want to come out if they care about season/career stats.

Why would anyone really be against it though?