• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Parra

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I turned off the game with 2 out, 1 on in the ninth, figured that was it ... only to find that the Fish scored 4 runs off Manny Parra.

With Marshall due to come off the DL, do the Reds DFA Parra or do they send somebody else back down? Cingrani has to stay and I'd think, so does Hoover.

So who's more useful -- our batting practice lefty or the guy with the dead arm?

Or does Ondrusek take a tumble again?

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cingrani is likely to stay up here based on his next start. If he does good, Cueto may be getting extra rest. Reineke pitched pretty well last season for the bats and he has had a great start to this season, so he may be another option to bring up. Arredondo has been throwing pretty well in louisville as well. We have a few options. I'd rather see these guys go into games like this to work any issues out.

When the hell did we sign Galarraga?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We knew Parra couldn't pitch.

I think Parra knew he couldn't pitch.

The Reds didn't get the memo, but I think they're starting to get the idea they made a mistake.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They signed Galarraga back in January to a minor league deal. He hasn't done much since the blown call on the perfect game. Probably will be no more than organizational depth the rest of his career. Can't see him ever making the Reds roster unless they're really banged up and destined for a loosing season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallaraga has big-league seasoning, which is about all I can say about Manny Parra.
Truth is, the Reds need Sean Marshall more as a lefty setup guy than Parra as a mopup guy.

I really don't understand why Arredondo isn't being pursued by somebody who needs bullpen help. Maybe he is, but the Reds aren't in a position where they have to deal ... and is Arrrrredowndo worth anything?

Cingrani, I think, will get at least 2 more starts ... maybe more. If he flubs it, that could bring Gallaraga in for a game or two, unless they want to try LeCure or Simon.

BoomerLarkin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Cingrani stick all year, but it seems as if the Reds don't want to use him in relief. I have a Brewers friend who says Parra is just awful. Once Marshall is back, I see Parra as part of the C team -- pitching only when the Reds are way out of it.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arredondo had a descent ST, I'm not sure what led to the decision to outright him. I'm assuming he got himself in the doghouse for some undisclosed reason. He's being paid $1.2M this season, so there must have been some reason other than performance.

Cingrani is being groomed to take Arroyo's spot next year, so he'll more than likely go back to Louisville when Cueto returns unless the need for a starter arises again.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 pitchers on a staff is a lot, but somehow never enough for Dusty. There is something to be said for a mop up guy that eats innings in games with large margins, but how many games does anyone expect to be blowouts ? If you are behind a lot it doesn't matter, but up 6 runs is rare. You need some lefties, but instead of 5 righty 1 inning relievers, I'd prefer 2 of them to be able to go 3 innings...would also come in handy in the xtra inning games. It's another reason I'd like Leake in that role. He can hit as well as any pinch hitter, negating the revolving door of double switches that kill the bullpen and don't produce any more runs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotation guys are slowly advancing their game to get into the 7th and even through the 7th. This is probably better than most teams can expect. We do need Leake and Cingrani to manage some strong outings, since they are in a row in the rotation now. A couple of bad outings and the bullpen is going to be toast going into the long road trip.

Here is where Parra could be useful, to just come in and finish off 4 innings.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, anyone that expected Manny Parra to be more than what he's been is overly optimistic. Marshall was expected to be as good and as healthy as he was last year, and it's not like we haven't had the opportunity to put a lefty or two in the rotation. Decisions should consider downstream problems, and as long as the players available can overcome issues complicated by a short term injury or two, all is well. If not, they need to be looking for an answer outside the organization.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arrodondo never had any issues to work out. Never figured why they sent him down. Dusty like to have two lefty's in the bullpen. not counting Chapman who is the closer. Dusty gets what he wants, and Parra stays, while someone more deserving goes down.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think miscommunication between GM Walt Jocketty and Mgr. Dusty Baker might be to blame for Parra. Walt expected Chapman to be the next Randy Johnson in the rotation, so he signed Parra as the LOOGY, Bill Bray's old job. Of course it turned out Dusty wants Chapman to be the next Billy Wagner instead, crowding the bullpen with lefties and leaving the rotation without one. As it turned out after cuts were made, Marshall and Cueto pulled up lame, so now we have our 2nd choice minor league insurance lefty in the rotation, and Parra working oddball relief innings Marshall or Arredondo might have pitched.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bet all the teams in the Central are glad the Reds have this guy. No matter how many Runs the Reds score Parra will give back more.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but I also bet the NL is happy they only get Chapman for 1 inning only in close games, instead of facing a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey and Chapman. How much bullpen would you need ? We give away too many opportunities to win in 9 innings, and whine about losing in extras or to bad teams...and don't hit well enough early in the game so always dependent on late miracles. I'd prefer to take the game directly to the opposition instead of always giving them a chance to beat our 3rd choices.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoover has a minor league option and Parra gets paid a MLB journeyman salary. Both their ERA suck. Parra is a lefty mop up pitcher and Hoover needs confidence to be more. I think Hoover goes down when Marshall is back.