• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Palmer Possibly Looking For New Team

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. They got him for pennies.

Well, they gave him two years and 16 million.... They also put off identifying a potential quarterback for the future and instead went with the plan to try to use the talent on the roster to win now - In a division that is probably the most difficult in football. So they didn't pay in draft picks, but they are certainly taking a gamble.

I think it's a good move for them. The qb class is not at all impressive, so the draft wasn't a good option for them. They have some playmakers on D and they have some receivers and a coordinator that should be a good match for Palmer. I'm not convinced they can win given their division, but they are much more interesting today than they were yesterday.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, they gave him two years and 16 million.... They also put off identifying a potential quarterback for the future and instead went with the plan to try to use the talent on the roster to win now - In a division that is probably the most difficult in football. So they didn't pay in draft picks, but they are certainly taking a gamble.

I think it's a good move for them. The qb class is not at all impressive, so the draft wasn't a good option for them. They have some playmakers on D and they have some receivers and a coordinator that should be a good match for Palmer. I'm not convinced they can win given their division, but they are much more interesting today than they were yesterday.

For exactly all the reasons you specified in the 2nd paragraph, I think they made out like bandits. Gave up inconsequential picks for a starting QB, something they haven't had in years. Now they can wait for next years more promising QB draft class instead of being pressured in gambling on a QB this season. And instead, they can put their entire focus on building up the lines for when they do find their QB of the future.

Most of Carson's guaranteed money is tied up this season. If they choose to do so, next season Arizona can cut him with very minor salary cap implications, so they aren't married to him in any way.

All the while they put themselves in a position to be competitive this season with a QB to throw to Fitz backed by a likely top 10 defense.

They lost in no way with this trade.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Home: St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins

Away: St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, New York Jets

How many easy games can you find on that schedule? Yowsers!

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Home: St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins

Away: St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, New York Jets"

That schedule must have an error. It says they play the Falcons.. The Cards finished last in their division so they'll play the last place team in the NFCS (The Bucs).

It's a tough schedule, but it's the same as the rest of their division except for the fact that they play two last place team

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see how Arians does as an HC and how he does with Palmer. Arians did a fantastic job with a young roster last year, but a skeptic might say he rode some momentum surrounding the ChuckStrong vibe plus the optimism associated with having a transcendent rookie. He should be able to design a great system for Palmer and they should have some weapons to work with.... They have some talent, but as mentioned the schedule is just brutal. Should be interesting to watch.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If this deal were for a 33 yr old QB even a few seasons ago I'd agree. But now with elite QBs making 20-25 million a season 8-10 seems like chump change. Hasslebeck got 5 million to backup earlier this offseason.

It's low risk, high (short term) reward imo. If it blows up, they lose a season when they didnt even have a better option on the market. If they straighten out the OL I think they can have an explosive passing game.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm interested to see how Arians does as an HC and how he does with Palmer. Arians did a fantastic job with a young roster last year, but a skeptic might say he rode some momentum surrounding the ChuckStrong vibe plus the optimism associated with having a transcendent rookie. He should be able to design a great system for Palmer and they should have some weapons to work with.... They have some talent, but as mentioned the schedule is just brutal. Should be interesting to watch.

I think that last yrs schedule was posted earlier in the thread . On paper this one looks a bit easier, but not by much (those 6 divisional games make almost any possible schedule unbeatable)

Home St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, Carolina, Houston,
Indianapolis, Detroit

Away St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville,
Tennessee, Philadelphia

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that last yrs schedule was posted earlier in the thread . On paper this one looks a bit easier, but not by much (those 6 divisional games make almost any possible schedule unbeatable)

Home St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, Carolina, Houston,
Indianapolis, Detroit

Away St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville,
Tennessee, Philadelphia

That schedule is MUCH more favorable. Carolina, Detroit, and even a young Indy team are favorable match-ups when considering the long road trip. Jacksonville and Tennessee might be train wrecks and Philly is clearly in rebuilding mode. The division games are obviously going to be tough, but injuries in SF or Seattle could make a huge difference and make things a little different in the fall.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That schedule is MUCH more favorable. Carolina, Detroit, and even a young Indy team are favorable match-ups when considering the long road trip. Jacksonville and Tennessee might be train wrecks and Philly is clearly in rebuilding mode. The division games are obviously going to be tough, but injuries in SF or Seattle could make a huge difference and make things a little different in the fall.

I agree with almost all of this except I wouldn't be surprised if Philadelphia improves because their new coach gives them a spark. plus that division looks like the weakest in their conference all of a sudden

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with almost all of this except I wouldn't be surprised if Philadelphia improves because their new coach gives them a spark. plus that division looks like the weakest in their conference all of a sudden

The Chip Kelly era could go either way. I think the obvious 'negative' comparison is Spurrier in Washington, but it's easy to argue that Spurrier simply wasn't in to it. That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him energize the team and make a run. As you said, that division suddenly appears vulnerable.

GeorgeGrande

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there is a less respected player in the NFL than Palmer.

What a limp, heartless, shell of a person.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a while, but Bip is back to commenting on Palmer.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would probably not get banned if he used some boobie avatar like everyone else.