• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that wide open parity in the South isn't going to continue at that level going forward. Either USC is going to take that next step, or possibly Chip or maybe in a few years Sumlin? :noidea: but I can't see that division staying with a mix of mostly second tier teams all fighting over the run to the CCG for much longer. One or two teams are going to lap the rest soon.
Won't Arizona's next Rose Bowl be their first ever?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't Arizona's next Rose Bowl be their first ever?
Oh lets face it, it's really USC's division to dominate with maybe an outside chance Chip does if USC can't take that next step. I was reaching a bit and I know it.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh lets face it, it's really USC's division to dominate with maybe an outside chance Chip does if USC can't take that next step. I was reaching a bit and I know it.
You never know. I know that Arizona has a few holes, but they still have Khalil Tate. And he is pretty good.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know. I know that Arizona has a few holes, but they still have Khalil Tate. And he is pretty good.
He could rattle the division for a minute, but long term? They aren't recruiting on UCLA and USC levels. Hell, no one is outside of Oregon which still has to prove they can retain that class.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could rattle the division for a minute, but long term? They aren't recruiting on UCLA and USC levels. Hell, no one is outside of Oregon which still has to prove they can retain that class.
I can't disagree. But I would still like to see a few schools step into the role of contender . .

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree. But I would still like to see a few schools step into the role of contender . .
Sure, who doesn't want to see 'parity' unless it's your school giving up ground? :noidea:

There just isn't enough history of winning and way too much uncertainty in the south to build a perennial contender. Utah is steady, but a real regular contender? They haven't been so yeah. Colorado? :L Both zona schools can't get out of their own way and both are in rebuilding mode with new coaching staffs.

Things can change, but for right now it feels like a 2 horse division going forward.

The North has 3-ish if Oregon can stop pissing down their own leg anyway.

I don't see the South staying as shut out as they have been from winning the overall conference, even if people like Oregon to improve, UW to keep growning, and Stanford to keep on being steady as can be. They have way too much talent going down there to keep this balance mostly North as it has been.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread needs a little blue...

2018_03_10_UCLAFootball_IMG0102.0.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hate to lose Tee because he is a great recruiter. I just think USC shouldn't be hiring coaches for their first job as OC or DC .

Agree to a point. The problem for Helton with Tee was that he was already on staff. So, it's not like Helton hired the qb coach from some mid-major. He promoted a guy already on staff.

Again, Pete Carroll did the same thing with Kiffin/Sark. Tee needs to show some improvement in his play calling. But whether he ultimately succeeds or fails, I have no issue with Helton giving him the job.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I expect that if USC doesn't do it, Helton's seat will start getting pretty warm, pretty quickly. Right now, and for the past couple of seasons, Trojans, for the most part, have just been happy to have a grown up running things.

However, if we don't start seeing some separation between us and the rest of the South, the natives will become restless and 9-10 win seasons, winning the South every couple of years or so and decent bowl games won't be enough for him to keep his job.

Very True.... but I look out over the coaching landscape these days and wonder just WHO could ever be a likely candidate if Helton were to get booted. Finding another 'Pete Carroll' ain't gonna be easy so...

I'm prayin' that Helton and staff get the job done and get us to that 'next level' we need to be at.

Those first 3 games of this season, I'm gonna stock up on Tums! heh heh :nod:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to a point. The problem for Helton with Tee was that he was already on staff. So, it's not like Helton hired the qb coach from some mid-major. He promoted a guy already on staff.

Again, Pete Carroll did the same thing with Kiffin/Sark. Tee needs to show some improvement in his play calling. But whether he ultimately succeeds or fails, I have no issue with Helton giving him the job.

The difference I see is Sark was promoted to OC by Pete after 3-4 years as QB coach under Norm Chow. By 2004 Pete had been a NFL head coach, had built one of the top teams in college coming off a 12-1 season where they were #1 most of the year so you kinda have to trust Pete making that move. The USC offense has been hit and miss and sometimes way too predicable in the past 4 years. So while I do like Tee and all he brings and do hope he does have it in him I wonder what he's learned and from who. But he's here now and I hope he realizes he needs to use all the weapons. I was at the game where Kiffin had Woods get 17 or so receptions. That was horrible play calling.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very True.... but I look out over the coaching landscape these days and wonder just WHO could ever be a likely candidate if Helton were to get booted. Finding another 'Pete Carroll' ain't gonna be easy so...

I'm prayin' that Helton and staff get the job done and get us to that 'next level' we need to be at.

Those first 3 games of this season, I'm gonna stock up on Tums! heh heh :nod:
urban-meyer-big-ten-media-days-football-5fab4f6021b51c2c.jpg

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, that's the other part of the equation when it comes to Helton. I have no problem with USC firing him if that's what is deemed necessary.

However, if you're going to do that, you need to have someone better already lined up or at least have a real good idea about who you can get that is better and a clear plan to get them.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that's the other part of the equation when it comes to Helton. I have no problem with USC firing him if that's what is deemed necessary.

However, if you're going to do that, you need to have someone better already lined up or at least have a real good idea about who you can get that is better and a clear plan to get them.

If nothing else, with the sanctions gone and the Kiffin Sark shit show in the rear view mirror, Helton and Swan have stabilized the program to where it should be a coveted job again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference I see is Sark was promoted to OC by Pete after 3-4 years as QB coach under Norm Chow. By 2004 Pete had been a NFL head coach, had built one of the top teams in college coming off a 12-1 season where they were #1 most of the year so you kinda have to trust Pete making that move. The USC offense has been hit and miss and sometimes way too predicable in the past 4 years. So while I do like Tee and all he brings and do hope he does have it in him I wonder what he's learned and from who. But he's here now and I hope he realizes he needs to use all the weapons. I was at the game where Kiffin had Woods get 17 or so receptions. That was horrible play calling.

Yeah, that's why I say it was a bit of a tough spot for Helton. He had a young coach that other schools were showing interest in. So, he either had to give him the promotion that another school was likely to give him or risk losing him and possibly see him be a great OC for someone else.

My preference in that situation is pretty much always to keep the guy you have. But I can definitely see the point in bringing in a more experienced coach as well. Glad I'm not the one to have to make that choice. lol

Agree about him using all of his weapons. I suppose the good thing about having an inexperienced qb (no matter who it ends up being since all 3 are inexperienced) is that he may have no choice but to use all of his weapons to help keep some of the pressure off of the qb.

On another note...I read where Clancy has started dialing up the blitzes, etc. in practice to start making the qb's deal with some pressure. That should help their development.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game where Kiffin had Woods get 17 or so receptions. That was horrible play calling.

I remember that game. Kiffin was bound and determined that either Barkley or Woods was winning the Heisman and tried to force stats with his playcalling.

In the end, I think it may have cost both of them any shot that they may have had.