• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington getting a lot of pre season love.
Isn't is usually a fairly simple formula for most national lists?

Look at last year and add/sub based on the expected quality of returning QB primarily and maybe a brief look at any glaring holes?

Whether or not any of you give much cred to Browning, he's a 4th year starting QB.

Their largest questions are who emerges as his go to receiver and maybe who replaces some of the pass rush depth.

I doubt any of them look even that deep, more or less beyond.

I mean the conf in general is considered well down and UW doesn't have to play USC. They get Stanford at home, don't face Zona and their emerging QB, etc.

The worst parts of UW's schedule is back to back games on the road against Kelly's Bruins and then the ducks coming off a bye, and having a pretty late season bye themselves.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't is usually a fairly simple formula for most national lists?

Look at last year and add/sub based on the expected quality of returning QB primarily and maybe a brief look at any glaring holes?

Whether or not any of you give much cred to Browning, he's a 4th year starting QB.

Their largest questions are who emerges as his go to receiver and maybe who replaces some of the pass rush depth.

I doubt any of them look even that deep, more or less beyond.

I mean the conf in general is considered well down and UW doesn't have to play USC. They get Stanford at home, don't face Zona and their emerging QB, etc.

The worst parts of UW's schedule is back to back games on the road against Kelly's Bruins and then the ducks coming off a bye, and having a pretty late season bye themselves.

Oh I get why. You guys get most of your team back and other than the opener which you can lose and still be ok Stanford is the game you guys have to win . Browning when given time can pick apart a defense.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I get why. You guys get most of your team back and other than the opener which you can lose and still be ok Stanford is the game you guys have to win . Browning when given time can pick apart a defense.
That last part is really the key to the season, and probably the area of least comfort going into the season.

From outside of the program no one really knows which receivers are going to step up and fill the roles of Pettis and Ross. Ross has been gone for more than a year, but they never really filled his role and it showed on the field last year. Now that Pettis is gone they have a cadre of talented kids with lots of potential and upside, but no experienced slam dunk target.

They also have a new OC and changes to the offense in general, as well as the play calling. More unknowns. Hamdan is an outstanding coach and a high energy guy the kids love, but no one knows how he will be as a play caller because he's never been one before.

The encouraging thing was watching them go through their mostly vanilla drills at the spring showcase. We obviously didn't see plays they were installing, but what we did see was how they were using Jake. They were going a lot more true west coast style and letting him go through 3 or even 4 quick reads across both sides of the field and making quick short strike throws. Jake is exceptional at reads and struggles with pressure on long developing plays so get the fucking ball out of his hands early and let players make plays. Maybe this staff has actually decided to play to his strengths.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last part is really the key to the season, and probably the area of least comfort going into the season.

From outside of the program no one really knows which receivers are going to step up and fill the roles of Pettis and Ross. Ross has been gone for more than a year, but they never really filled his role and it showed on the field last year. Now that Pettis is gone they have a cadre of talented kids with lots of potential and upside, but no experienced slam dunk target.

They also have a new OC and changes to the offense in general, as well as the play calling. More unknowns. Hamdan is an outstanding coach and a high energy guy the kids love, but no one knows how he will be as a play caller because he's never been one before.

The encouraging thing was watching them go through their mostly vanilla drills at the spring showcase. We obviously didn't see plays they were installing, but what we did see was how they were using Jake. They were going a lot more true west coast style and letting him go through 3 or even 4 quick reads across both sides of the field and making quick short strike throws. Jake is exceptional at reads and struggles with pressure on long developing plays so get the fucking ball out of his hands early and let players make plays. Maybe this staff has actually decided to play to his strengths.

Yeah no secret Browning is not as effective when pressured out of the pocket. The thing is there might only be two teams who can probably do that (auburn and Stanford) on your schedule. And yup you guys had Ross and Pettis two years back and the loss of Ross hurt your deep game because Pettis was a different type of WR and couldn't fill that roll. Same with USC losing JuJu but the frustrating thing is they still had pretty good ones who could have filled that roll but they never really got on the same page with Darnold because the O line was pretty bad most of the season.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah no secret Browning is not as effective when pressured out of the pocket. The thing is there might only be two teams who can probably do that (auburn and Stanford) on your schedule. And yup you guys had Ross and Pettis two years back and the loss of Ross hurt your deep game because Pettis was a different type of WR and couldn't fill that roll. Same with USC losing JuJu but the frustrating thing is they still had pretty good ones who could have filled that roll but they never really got on the same page with Darnold because the O line was pretty bad most of the season.
UW had other assets besides Pettis, but injuries at WR/TE were insane. Over the middle of the season it was a different player every week. A few had some flashes they might fill in roles before they went out. Couple of others had chances and really didn't run away with it. So several kids that should be more developed, but had signs of being worth something will be back.

I think everyone in husky nation would feel a lot better going into the season if they had some known quantity out there. They don't have the luxury of a soft early schedule to find their ace.

The mix of Gaskin/Achmed and a focus on quick releases of shorter routes might have to be their game plan in week 1.

Tall order then because the tigers will for sure be challenging UW's D in deep routes. They have speed and a veteran QB to lean on in that game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly has way too much talent to be that shut out of the all conference lists. I'd bet the farm they have more than that at years end.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porter Gustin third team? No way. He's a beast who will be a first round Clay Matthews clone.
I don't put too much into Athlon. They jumped the tracks years ago and its too bad because at one time they were possibly the most reputable college football rag out there.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly has way too much talent to be that shut out of the all conference lists. I'd bet the farm they have more than that at years end.
QB gone, Leading rusher under 600 yards, leading WR gone, and those returning less than 500 yards. off line gave up 6th most sacks (the other 5 had no O line first teamers either)
top 2 leading tacklers gone, leading int frosh made 4th team. sack leader gone.
not devoid of talent but UCLA lost a lot of their best or their best just wasnt as good with 11 other teams to choose from

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porter Gustin third team? No way. He's a beast who will be a first round Clay Matthews clone.
who would you move to move him up? Gains, Jelks, rector, Anae, Scott, Fotu?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB gone, Leading rusher under 600 yards, leading WR gone, and those returning less than 500 yards. off line gave up 6th most sacks (the other 5 had no O line first teamers either)
top 2 leading tacklers gone, leading int frosh made 4th team. sack leader gone.
not devoid of talent but UCLA lost a lot of their best or their best just wasnt as good with 11 other teams to choose from
Just saying with all of those top recruiting classes the roster has talent on it and I'd fully expect a player or two to pop for him at the very least. Not saying the team would get great right away, just can't believe they wouldn't find at least one player to make a mark with the talent they have. Unless somehow Kelly forgot how to coach entirely or something. I mean I guess that's possible.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who would you move to move him up? Gains, Jelks, rector, Anae, Scott, Fotu?

I don't know about any of those others , other than Rector and I'd put Gustin above him. I've just seen lots of players come and go from USC and opponents and he's got the physical size an ability that easily stands out. He looks like he's playing against high school players out there. I wonder if him getting hurt last season is the reason they have him there because he's a Matthews , Cushing, AJ Hawk type.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about any of those others , other than Rector and I'd put Gustin above him. I've just seen lots of players come and go from USC and opponents and he's got the physical size an ability that easily stands out. He looks like he's playing against high school players out there. I wonder if him getting hurt last season is the reason they have him there because he's a Matthews , Cushing, AJ Hawk type.

wanting him to prove it before just saying it will happen?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wanting him to prove it before just saying it will happen?

When healthy he proved it. But lets see how he does this season. If he stays healthy he's All American and top 10 draft pick.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW still wears faggy uniforms.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you can add another NC to the PAC roster, Stanford wins women's tennis. U of A alive still in women's golf.