• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Other Crap

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This can serve as our non- Reds related catchall. There's very few that contribute, but it's still nice to have some semblance of thread integrity.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the piling on that has begun for Dusty is a bit misguided.
You put the best righthander in the NL into a must-win game and he doesn't win it.
You get a bonehead backup getting picked off first base with 2 outs and a runner on 2nd base ...
Geez, I hope the Nationals send Dusty a gift basket for Christmas.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty has always been a manager that often goes with his gut instinct. At times that style has left him on wrong side of the conventional higher % decision and second guessed. There are no absolutes in the game of baseball, but it's easier to explain if you're playing the odds.

For whatever reason many people like to make it personal when they criticise Dusty Baker. I leave the interpretation of why to the individual reader.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that the intolerance for Dusty's gaffes and the tolerance for Price's is strange at best. The same people who condemn Dusty for having lost Cueto on the first hitter of the 2012 playoff game are inclined to be polite because all of Price's pitchers came out of spring training with injuries that very few other teams appear to endure.
I am not attacking Price, just wonder what Dusty did to merit such ridicule. He put Scherzer in last night, the best righthander in the league, and he lost. A night earlier, he was condemned for using Soliz, one of his season-long relievers.
Getting a dud runner picked off base in the 8th inning was textbook stupid baseball, and I seriously doubt the Nats dugout staff advocated that.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Dusty, But some of the things he would do drove me crazy. one was putting a 200 or below hitter in the leadoff spot. And his love for over the hill players. And that is only a few of the things that drove me crazy.

I did think he would and has been good for the Nats, who had a good team of veterans. I think he has brought stability to the team.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crap! It looks like the Yankees are going to get to the WS.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers are in and now all the National media/ network types have their fingers crossed in the HOU/NYY series. It's been a long time since the two old rival franchises matched up in the WS.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like when the shit hits the fan, the teams with the pedigree show up on stage.
LA has so damned much pitching that all they need is a couple of guys having a good bat every 3rd inning.
I don't know if Houston is done yet but winning 2 in a row has been the trend for everybody lately.
Like em or not, the Yanks have a pretty good lineup. I guess I'd root for Todd Frazier to get a ring.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'd root for Todd Frazier to get a ring.

One redeeming thing about NY winning it all.
I still want to see Houston win. They have only been in the WS once, and I think they were shut down 4 to 0 by the White Sox, So they have never even won a game in WS play.

I'm not sure I like todays playoff system. It waters down the regular season.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for a Dodger/ Yankee showdown.

The Yankees needed to win one game on the road, but left their offense at home.

Have to give credit to the Astros pitching. But you never know how much of the opposing teams struggle is attributed to succumbing to the pressure of the moment.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe! Say it ain't true!

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY, Already talking about a Yankee dynasty. Not unlike the Mets dynasty a few years back. This is why I dislike the NY media so much.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no shortage of fans and media putting the cart before the horse when predicting long term success. Five seasons ago the Reds FO was trying to sell us the same cart of bullshit.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no shortage of fans and media putting the cart before the horse when predicting long term success. Five seasons ago the Reds FO was trying to sell us the same cart of bullshit.
Sells tickets

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sells tickets
They are selling the same cart again and I would not be surprised if the bobbleheads who want to believe (I WANT TO BELIEVE!) will eat it up and ... by August, the need to replace Price will be over the top.

"Trade Votto," the call will be. "Trade 'em all. The minor leaguers can't do no worse."

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the next time somebody says GABP is a cheap home run, I think it's Runs Per Minute Maid Park.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB wanted more offense and they've gotten it. Home runs and lots of scoring without much strategy. Fans love it.... I guess?

GABP is conducive to scoring runs, but so is every other ballpark with the new and improved baseballs. I really don't take offense to critics of the Reds home field. It's not an advantage when both team get the same number of ABs.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB wanted more offense and they've gotten it. Home runs and lots of scoring without much strategy. Fans love it.... I guess?

It looks like they've even juiced it up some more, for the World Series. If this trend continues. Baseball as we know it, will be a thing of the past. Homerun records will be broken. The average ERA will be around 6. But the fans like homeruns!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GABP is conducive to scoring runs, but so is every other ballpark with the new and improved baseballs. I really don't take offense to critics of the Reds home field. It's not an advantage when both team get the same number of ABs.

I always thought the claim it was a hitter's park was wrong. It's no more a hitter's park than Wrigley or Busch. It's a little more generous in allowing the cheap home run, but if you look at who's pitched there, guys who don't give up fly balls can survive. Homer balls are going out. The trick is to not walk half the lineup. A higher wall would add doubles and a deeper wall might take away 10 HR a year. Denver, meanwhile, where you have to play on the track, gives up more bloopers.

Verlander's comments contrast the denial that Manfred is throwing out there. Nobody in official capacity is going to dispute Manfred but I think Verlander is qualified to comment. The rest of these guys are being pros as well ... and all of them are saying the game's the same in both dugouts. Honestly if it's 1-0, the bore-ass scribes will be whining about it being too conservative. I read this AP scribe's rant this morning and the first thing he whined about was the 5 hours ... well, yeah ... but called out the game to fix itself.

Why don't these people just turn the process over to writers who actually care?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree GABP is more of a home run friendly park than a hitters park. It ranks high on the list for RH and LH homers, but it has a fairly low batting average for balls in play (Babip).

The high HR numbers and low Babip are both attributed to the size of GABP. If it's not in the seats it's caught more often than not.