• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OTAs

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this first team activity of the season - everyone is on the verge of stardom - still.

It sounds like there was some credible passing with the rookies - Hamilton, Sutton and Lindsay catching deep balls. Kelly and Lynch both performing well.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Taylor surgery on both of his hips. I sorta wonder if he could be an IR candidate this year?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Taylor surgery on both of his hips. I sorta wonder if he could be an IR candidate this year?

You got it Toyota - no way Taylor can make this roster after that surgery - one of which happened after the Senior Bowl.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keenum so far completing about 70% of his passes in team activities. Definitely showing the consistency at the QB position that has been lacking.

Lynch has been making some big plays with his arm but again consistency seems to be lacking.

The rookies do seem to be showing up with Sutton showing his leaping ability and Hamilton showing a lot of consistency.

These are OTA's so obviously only read into these as much as you want.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe more important is how players showed up to camp physically.

Walker is closing in on getting to 280 lbs. Still not where you like a full-time starting DE in the 3-4 but much better than where he was last year at this time.

Shane Ray has obviously added some weight but is still closer to the 240 lb. range and looking small.

Wolfe said that this is the first time in a long time he hasn't felt any pain entering the offseason program. He looks in great shape and ready to go.

Couple of interesting tidbits about the new offensive system...

1) The language has been cleaned up a lot. No longer does it take 10-15 seconds just to call a play. The Broncos want to be able to simplify things especially with so many new young players on the offensive system. They were moving so fast at times in practice that they beat the defense out of their huddle and had to wait on them.

2) The slot position is looking like it might be accomplished by committee more so than one set player. The Broncos want to have a few of the receivers play in the slot with set plays for DT and Sanders being in the slot at times. They really want to get Sutton on the field if at all possible. They are loving what they are seeing from him so far.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it means nothing in shorts but rather look good in shorts then bad. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos started week 2 of OTA's today.

Still out at his point are Veldheer, Leary, Fumagalli, Clinton McDonald, and Taylor.

Veldheer is doing some work on the sideline so probably could have returned this week but why risk it when it is just OTA's at this point.

Also side note Elway tried to qualify for the US Senior Open in golf but did not make the cut.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of what becomes team culture starts in OTAs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of what becomes team culture starts in OTAs.

I can definitely agree with that. From the look of things all of those injured players are still at practice just not on the field. So they are still there for the meetings and breakdowns and such.

My biggest worry right now though is for the OL with Veldheer missing time and Leary. Would love to see those guys getting the reps to get this OL on the same page.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the sound of things so far the #1 defense has been winning a lot of battles and the #2 and #3 offense have been winning against the backups quite a bit. Lynch and Kelly have both had some really nice looking plays today.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few notes from camp...

Broncos had their first scare of the year injury wise LB Deiontrez Mount suffering an ankle injury and being carted off the field. Sounds like he should be good to go though. Might sit out the rest of OTA's though.

Demaryius Thomas said this is the first season since coming into the league that his hips have not bothered him so feels very healthy.

Keenum has already talked with the WR/TE/RB's about having a passing camp later this summer in Houston. He and Sanders are already there anyway so would be an easy set up.

Von Miller is once again having his pass rush camp. I would bet the Bronco pass rushers will be there. Von has spent a ton of time with Chubb working with him so far so hopefully that continues and pays off big time.

All 3 QB's looked pretty sharp today. Paxton had a few more moments than the other two but all 3 made some nice passes into tight windows. Kelly and Keenum though were picked off at different times during the day.

Walker is said to finally be up to his goal weight of 280 lbs.

Couple of players that keep catching the attention of others are Courtland Sutton and Josey Jewell. Good to see the rookies getting positive reviews from the veterans. Even Wolfe (a well known rookie hater) said this draft class is one of the first that he hasn't heard any complaining come out of their mouth but just want to work hard.

Players already talking a lot about how Keenum has brought a very strong voice to the offense. Gets after players for jogging or walking to the huddle and it is very obvious that he is the main leader for the entire offense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well unfortunately tests came back on Mount and he has a torn Achilles. Team was hopeful nothing serious had happened but sometimes hopeful doesn't mean reality.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is too bad for Mount. I don't think he was going to make the team this year, but still now he has to go through that long process of rehabbing, etc. He also didn't have PS eligibility remaining.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ota’s are stupid except for QB and WRs playing catch but they do that anyways on their own.
Risk of injury is too high for the elite player. Von was right

No other professional sport has OTAs

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d say OTAs can be very worthwhile to rookies so they have a general grasp of the team offense or defense going into training camp. It’s a bad look to be running around training camp with 5,000 people seeing you obviously lost!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTA's are very important for rookies. Also helps the team get back together and bond from the grueling season.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTA's are a great time for team bonding before the grind of training camp when tempers tend to flare at times. Those little fights could be a bigger issue if there is not the relationships prior, so I think it is important for new members of the teams and rookies to get to know the vets. It is also should be a valuable teach opportunity.

Injuries suck but they are part of the sport. It really doesn't matter if the injury happens in OTAs, a private work out, or in training camp the result is the same that players are unavailable for the season.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTA's are a great time for team bonding before the grind of training camp when tempers tend to flare at times. Those little fights could be a bigger issue if there is not the relationships prior, so I think it is important for new members of the teams and rookies to get to know the vets. It is also should be a valuable teach opportunity.

Injuries suck but they are part of the sport. It really doesn't matter if the injury happens in OTAs, a private work out, or in training camp the result is the same that players are unavailable for the season.

I feel like with the players I have known they most look forward to OTA's. Time to get back with their pals, relax a bit, before the grueling camp. It's a nice laid back time for them to bond and help the rookies out and see each other again after a lot have been away from each other for a few months.