• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On this day in history March 15 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings became the 1st pro baseball team

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game evolved from older bat-and-ball games already being played in England by the mid-18th century. This game was brought by immigrants to North America, where the modern version developed. By the late 19th century, baseball was widely recognized as the national sport of the United States.

You may have heard that a young man named Abner Doubleday invented the game known as baseball in Cooperstown, New York, during the summer of 1839. Doubleday then went on to become a Civil War hero, while baseball became America's beloved national pastime.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game evolved from older bat-and-ball games already being played in England by the mid-18th century. This game was brought by immigrants to North America, where the modern version developed. By the late 19th century, baseball was widely recognized as the national sport of the United States.

You may have heard that a young man named Abner Doubleday invented the game known as baseball in Cooperstown, New York, during the summer of 1839. Doubleday then went on to become a Civil War hero, while baseball became America's beloved national pastime.
Yea I was aware of the Abner Doubleday story being the true inventor of the game way back when.

I was not aware of the European spin nor the large gap of years between 1839 and 1869 for it to evolve into the 1st pro ball team.

great info and history.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I was aware of the Abner Doubleday story being the true inventor of the game way back when.

I was not aware of the European spin nor the large gap of years between 1839 and 1869 for it to evolve into the 1st pro ball team.

great info and history.
I didn't realize he was a Civil War Hero. That was mainly why I posted that part. It puts in perspective, at least to me, the timing in history about it. Pre Civil War...wow.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Isn’t this heavily debated though that Doubleday was the actual inventor of what became baseball? I know he made him famous during the Civil War and it blew up after the war with the origins of what became the ***** Leagues started which allowed all Americans a place to play regardless of anything other than if they were Jewish.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t this heavily debated though that Doubleday was the actual inventor of what became baseball? I know he made him famous during the Civil War and it blew up after the war with the origins of what became the ***** Leagues started which allowed all Americans a place to play regardless of anything other than if they were Jewish.
I think it has been heavily debated. No clue which is correct. I just found it fascinating that the timeline with Civil War is amazing. I love history though it is usually incorrect. Like they say, history is written by the victors.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubleday supposedly fired the first shot for the Union army.