• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OG Zack Martin Hurt His Knee; MRI to Come on Sunday

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league tends to be cyclical. There’s always a place for a dominant running game and a stout defense. Not saying that the Cowboys have a stout defense by any means but I like the direction they are heading. So... we shall see.
I certainly hope you're right Robin but Cowboys fans have had very little to cheer about over the past 2 decades. Every year we get our hopes up only to have them squashed.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly hope you're right Robin but Cowboys fans have had very little to cheer about over the past 2 decades. Every year we get our hopes up only to have them squashed.

I still think they are in that next level of teams after the Eagles, Rams and Vikings. Good thing is everyone plays 16. And health permitting, anything can happen.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your dad sounds like a smart man.
No, I'm pretty sure from reading what he wrote, that his Dad didn't understand that Dak was overthrowing the ball on purpose on about 3 of those throws either. When a guy is covered, you air mail it. Especially in the red zone.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm pretty sure from reading what he wrote, that his Dad didn't understand that Dak was overthrowing the ball on purpose on about 3 of those throws either. When a guy is covered, you air mail it. Especially in the red zone.

Pretty much. Contrary to belief I did actually watch the game. Twice to be exact.....binged the NFL Network yesterday.....LOL. In my opinion I saw only one bad throw from Dak (maybe 2).

His only bad throw IMO came in the horrible overthrow in the red zone. The throw was so bad I think it was nothing more than the ball slipped out of his hand when he went to make the throw. I think he wanted to rifle it in there pretty good because he would have been splitting defenders (not really sure). The second bad throw if we are going to call it that is where he probably should have been picked off. The DB jumped the route and did not make the play and I think Dak got a little lucky there. The throw itself was not bad (IIRC) just telegraphed.

He had one throw early on where it looked like he missed the receiver on a pass toward the sideline. I think that was more of Dak and the receiver not being on the same page. The pass looked like Dak expected him to run an out pattern to the sideline because that is where the ball was led but the receiver just stopped.

The overthrow in the end zone before his actual TD pass was not a bad throw either IMO. It is as you said. In the red zone if the receiver is blanketed you overthrow it. In this case though Dak tried to make a throw where the receiver could make a play and he missed but he missed it exactly where he was supposed to. Either his receiver makes the play or no one makes it at all.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's why you take every thing with a grain of salt in preseason. I just want to see him calm down a bit on those longer throws so he's not zipping it over the heads of guys. That's when you start getting INT's.

I think Dak will have a bounce back year, and having a great run game will be a big help. Sucks no more Witten for the safety valve.

I think most of that is it being preseason game 2, he has a backup RB in there and doesn't want to take any hits. He is probably given a clock in his head to get rid of the ball. Take a look at 1 and 2 option, then get rid of it.

Did you see the big bag of nothing Rush had when he came in? Dak has to stay healthy.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said the same thing. Lol at this damage control

Damage control? Our starters stomped theirs, what damage control is there to have? oh no, our guys that shouldn't see the field often or won't make the final roster got beat by their guys that won't see the field or make the final roster.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of that is it being preseason game 2, he has a backup RB in there and doesn't want to take any hits. He is probably given a clock in his head to get rid of the ball. Take a look at 1 and 2 option, then get rid of it.

Did you see the big bag of nothing Rush had when he came in? Dak has to stay healthy.
Yeah Daks health is key. I like Rush but he’s not going to lead you to a playoff birth. Glad Zach Martin is going to be good for the start of the season.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is how the game is played. You take what is available to you. A QB needs weapons. As I said in other threads there are very few transcending NFL QB's that play the game to a point where they can throw a WR open. Brady, Rodgers, Brees (maybe) come to mind. I just can't find fault in a QB that takes what is given to them. I do think in the long run the dink and dunk is going to be the doom of the Cowboys. Teams are going to crowd the box to try and contain Zeke. If the receivers are not getting open it is going to be a major problem.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is how the game is played. You take what is available to you. A QB needs weapons. As I said in other threads there are very few transcending NFL QB's that play the game to a point where they can throw a WR open. Brady, Rodgers, Brees (maybe) come to mind. I just can't find fault in a QB that takes what is given to them. I do think in the long run the dink and dunk is going to be the doom of the Cowboys. Teams are going to crowd the box to try and contain Zeke. If the receivers are not getting open it is going to be a major problem.
If a guy is covered down the field I want Dak to overthrow it to where either his guy or no one catches it every time (unless like 3rd and 15 and it's basically a punt if it's picked.)

Here is where I see a flaw in the bolded this year because that was a real problem for Dallas last year. First off 8 in the box isn't going to stop Zeke a lot of games and second one thing the Cowboys did this year was bring in speed. Last year there was just very little chance that Witten, Dez, Beasley or TW were going to beat their guy straight up on a 9 route and thus a safety over the top was never really needed. This year it will be different. Even if Dak struggles on those throws it's still going to send a message to be careful with those safeties and also for CBs playing over aggressively because they know their guy can run by them this year. Going to be a different passing Offense this year. Will it work? TBD

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a guy is covered down the field I want Dak to overthrow it to where either his guy or no one catches it every time (unless like 3rd and 15 and it's basically a punt if it's picked.)

Here is where I see a flaw in the bolded this year because that was a real problem for Dallas last year. First off 8 in the box isn't going to stop Zeke a lot of games and second one thing the Cowboys did this year was bring in speed. Last year there was just very little chance that Witten, Dez, Beasley or TW were going to beat their guy straight up on a 9 route and thus a safety over the top was never really needed. This year it will be different. Even if Dak struggles on those throws it's still going to send a message to be careful with those safeties and also for CBs playing over aggressively because they know their guy can run by them this year. Going to be a different passing Offense this year. Will it work? TBD

The bolded area I agree with you 100%. I don't think Zeke can be stopped. The best teams can hope to do is to contain him. That is why teams will load he box. It is not to stop him it is to limit the damage. On top of that you keep additional players to help contain Dak if he decides to get out and run. The Cowboys regardless of how good or bad their receivers are will be deadly and have the advantage the first 7 yards from scrimmage. With that offensive line, a great runner like Zeke and a dual threat QB who can throw like Dak you have to limit the damage. With that said teams will force Dak to beat him with the passing game because the Cowboys receivers are average at best and their TE presence is nothing like it used to be. There is no Witten to roam the middle. A pick your poison kind of thing.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, it's a preseason game. Everything is taken with a grain of salt. But im not going to sit here and suck Dak's dick just cause I like the guy. He was mediocre. The tape doesnt lie. And I gave him credit for the nice TD pass but every other pass was a checkdown or short throw over the middle. Looking back he did have a couple of nice slant throws for a first down. Cowboys don't need Dak to be a world beater, just make some plays this season.

I didnt see anything in this highlight reel to be concerned with about Dak. In fact the only actual bad pass he threw, werent the throwaways, it was the almost pick 6.

One thing the highlights showed me though, was I am getting more excited to see this Gallup kid start for us this season.