• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason 2018

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What changes are coming to a roster that lost to the Caps in the second round???

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
top stay at home d man and a good backup goalie...I don't trust Murray

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you trust DeSmith or Jarry either?
I love DeSmith's calm demeanor and more stand up style, as well as his excellent rebound control...but he's known to be streaky. Hot when he's on, blah when he's off. Jarry I don't quite have a good grasp on yet.

I guess many will just remind me of how young Jarry and Murray are, but facts are facts...Murray gets worse each year and is often injured every year.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love DeSmith's calm demeanor and more stand up style, as well as his excellent rebound control...but he's known to be streaky. Hot when he's on, blah when he's off. Jarry I don't quite have a good grasp on yet.

I guess many will just remind me of how young Jarry and Murray are, but facts are facts...Murray gets worse each year and is often injured every year.
Murray does get hurt a lot.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray has played 49 games both season. I am taking his statistical change with a grain of salt because the defense this season was poor at best.

If he can avg 50-55 games a season then that is fine with DeSmith or Jarry in the backup role.

The big change will have to come with movement from Letang, Kessel, Sheary, Haglin or Hunwick.
I don't see them trading Kessel but the others will be moved for the right price to free up the needed cap space.

Then GMJR stated this:

So that means a forward will be on the move. Also this could mean Sprong is a regular but not on the Penguins?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other reason to move a contract above is the fact Rust and Sheahan will need new contracts.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray has played 49 games both season. I am taking his statistical change with a grain of salt because the defense this season was poor at best.

If he can avg 50-55 games a season then that is fine with DeSmith or Jarry in the backup role.

The big change will have to come with movement from Letang, Kessel, Sheary, Haglin or Hunwick.
I don't see them trading Kessel but the others will be moved for the right price to free up the needed cap space.

Then GMJR stated this:

So that means a forward will be on the move. Also this could mean Sprong is a regular but not on the Penguins?

Murray's numbers drop significantly year to year...it's there in black and white. He may have played 49 games but he only started 45...Yes, the D is bad, but he bares responsibility also.

www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats/_/id/3067862/matt-murray

Good luck moving Letang, or Hunwick. I'd keep Haglin and move Kessel for the proper pieces/draft picks

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray's numbers drop significantly year to year...it's there in black and white. He may have played 49 games but he only started 45...Yes, the D is bad, but he bares responsibility also.

www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats/_/id/3067862/matt-murray

Good luck moving Letang, or Hunwick. I'd keep Haglin and move Kessel for the proper pieces/draft picks

Well aware of this stats and the fall off. There is a huge component tied to the defense.
Apples to apples look at the huge drop off MAF had in his last two seasons in Pittsburgh.
This next season will be the litmus test for Murray, if he stables out his numbers great. If not he was the next Lalime and then gone.

I agree trading Kessel will give them the most pieces but not sure they will as for Hagelin he doesn't score enough to justify with their cap issues. He really is in the same boat as Letang/Hunwick on who will want him without the Penguins taking a hit. I think they should sell high on Sheary while you can.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well aware of this stats and the fall off. There is a huge component tied to the defense.
Apples to apples look at the huge drop off MAF had in his last two seasons in Pittsburgh.
This next season will be the litmus test for Murray, if he stables out his numbers great. If not he was the next Lalime and then gone.

I agree trading Kessel will give them the most pieces but not sure they will as for Hagelin he doesn't score enough to justify with their cap issues. He really is in the same boat as Letang/Hunwick on who will want him without the Penguins taking a hit. I think they should sell high on Sheary while you can.
I think the D does play a part, just not as large a component as you do...I hope he comes up strong next year and proves me wrong. Does seem that he lets in stupidly soft goals and has no glove hand.

I keep Hagelin. His loss (speed and penalty kill) would decimate an already weak defending team. Sheary can go, don't see him as anything special. I keep Letang if you move him to forward. I move Kessel to get dmen/picks

Here's to an exciting off season!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we just get Murray to play with another stick instead of a glove?

I'd love it if they could land a solid defensemen this offseason.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Murray's glove hand is weak and needs improved upon.

As for player movement it looks like they are willing to use Tristan Jarry as a trade chip. They have the confidence in DeSmith to the backup.
After trading Gustavsson away, and if they deal Jarry their G prospects will look bare again like their D prospects.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Mackey's Penguins chat transcript: 6.7.18

So they wanted to keep Kunitz around. They might be able to get him on the cheap now.
Also from the Q&A:
John: The penguins haven't drafted a player out of a Russian hockey league since Alexander Pechursky in 2008. Do you have any insight on the reasoning behind this? There is a ton of talent over there and a decade seems like more than a coincidence. With some of the unfair stereotypes surrounding Russian players causing them to drop in the draft and the pens lack of 1st round picks, I would think this would be an inefficiency they could exploit to their advantage.
Jason Mackey: Not ruling it out, John. And you should mention Sergei Plotnikov, to be fair. But maybe after mentioning Plotnikov and Pechursky we have our answer. Seriously, though, I don't think the Penguins are anti-KHL player. That's not it at all. Just hasn't worked out where that's where they thought they found the best fit.

I guess they are the Don Cherry of teams when it comes to drafts? :noidea:

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasted draft on tiny forward and to d man...Calendar and Justin...wasted picks

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calen Addison is smaller but is projected to be like Tyson Barrie, if that is the case then there is value but all points to him being suspect in the defensive zone so not sure how well he will project. Also by the time he is ready who knows what play will be like in the league?

Filip Hallander is bigger and a tough two-way player but plays like Hornqvist. I like the value in this pick.

Justin Almeida was a 5th round pick so I don't have issue with his size too much. Granted by the time he would be ready for the NHL Crosby will most likely be done or close to it. So it is a crap shoot to see what happens at best.

Liam Gorman in the 7th once again is just a project. But larger size might hold up with his skating ability.

The one over arching trend with all their picks is they are all quick/good skaters.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may just be me but Calen looks like he's still in elementary school in the draft pics I saw. And we thought Sid looked young when he was drafted. Every year these draft pics look younger and younger, it be cause I keep getting older and older???

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rust signed I like the deal. Hopefully that means Sheary will be dealt.

Jack Johnson rumors, please i hope not!

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheary and Hunwick gone to the Swedes/Sabres...lol...

Shehan signs one year deal for $2.1

Outside of half the draft picks, so far so good