• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Upgrade Possibilities - Shortstop

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive Upgrade Targets – Shortstop
Incumbent – Brad Miller/Chris Taylor platoon

Acquisition possibilities:
Asdrubal Cabrera – 29 years old. Back-to-back subpar seasons is troubling and makes him a big risk. Might be one these guys who just burns out earlier rather than later.
Stephen Drew – 32 years old. Never got going last year and hasn’t really been the same player since he left Arizona in 2012. Safeco is not a good fit for this guy.
JJ Hardy – 32 years old. 167 career homeruns but only 9 last year. He’s played most of his career in hitter-friendly stadiums. Hardy is a huge risk on anything longer than a 2-year deal.
Hanley Rameriz – 31 years old. Seems like he has been around forever. Motivation has been questioned in the past. Someone will give him $80-100 million to play sub-par defense at shortstop. I hope it isn’t the Mariners. The guy has a nice bat for a shortstop but a negative defensive WAR reduces his offensive impact.
Alexei Rameriz – 33 years old. Very steady, consistent player that gives above average offense production for a shortstop. But, a little old for a shortstop who will be looking for the minimum of a three year deal.
Jed Lowrie – 31 years old. Mariner killer. I’d like to have him on the team just so he could no longer hit against us. Lowrie is coming off of a down year but he has plenty left in the tank and had a very solid season in 2013.
Troy Tulowitzki – Tradde acquisition. The cost in prospects would be significant. 30 years old. Tulo is going to get a lot of air time in the rumor mills this winter. Owed $118 million over the next 6 years which is not a bad contract despite the fact that he only averages 117 games a year. Has missed 222 games in the last three years and 360 in his 8 years as a starter.
Player I’d like for them to get: Troy Tulowitzki. Although Tulo would be somewhat easier to acquire than Giancarlo Stanton, the odds of getting him are still very slim. And if we couldn’t get Tulo than then I would be fine with keeping Brad Miller at shortstop. We can’t spend big money at every position. Shortstop might be one of those positions where we have to bottom feed or go with pre-arbitration players.
Player they are most likely to get: Jed Lowrie. They have seen a lot him the last two years. They are familiar with him. And, they could do a lot worse. A three year deal at $8.5-10 mill a year wouldn’t be bad and would give us three years of Lowrie in his prime.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About 2 hours after I started this thread, JJ Hardy rre-signed with the Orioles. 3yearss/$40 million. That's alot of cheddar for a 32 year old SS who has a career OPS+ around 100.

I think this signing effectively puts Hanley's price tag in excess of $17 million a year and puts Lowrie at at least $10 million a year. Looks like the mighty Ms will be going with the Miller/Taylor tandem again next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nintendo were willing to spend $120 million+ per year on payroll, I'd be fine with upgrading at SS through FA.

Considering the M's organization, I just wouldn't put it too high in triage order.

It's nice to have threads devoted to the current/evolving FA market for individual positions, though.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nintendo were willing to spend $120 million+ per year on payroll, I'd be fine with upgrading at SS through FA.

Considering the M's organization, I just wouldn't put it too high in triage order.

It's nice to have threads devoted to the current/evolving FA market for individual positions, though.

My personal desire if they raise the payroll is still go after a Cruz type player or a deal for Kemp. The tandem of Taylor and Miller isn't ideal (or possibly Bloomquist) but they need some pop in the outfield especially since I'd prefer them to go with Jones or Saunders in CF and get the albatross of Jackson out of town. I'd really like for them to somehow address 1B too so Lomo can DH.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still a huge believer in Miller. He has great range, and I still think his bat projects well. If Smoak and Ackley got 3-4 years, I think Miller should get a 2nd.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for JJ Hardy, but he is now off the table. I thought he would have been a great vet pickup. Great defender with a more consistent bat than we have seen at the position in some time. Next.