• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off season

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Rockies fans........what are you hoping to see the Rockies do this off- season?

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silas, from what I've heard or read the Rockies focus this off-season is fairly well defined...at least more so than in prior years when their needs were greater. Some will call the Rockies 2013 a disappointment...I don't. Disappointment, this year, can be a term used to describe the Giants not the Rockies. True, the Rockies faltered a bit in the 2nd half but I think the season was a success on two two fronts. First, although they finished last in the Division again they were better by 10 games. I knew improvement would come in baby steps not leaps and bounds and I think that's happening. Second, other than their bullpen they sorted some things out on the field, solidified a few positions and as a result can focus their energies on fewer issues this off-season and that has to be huge for the organization. Here's what I think the Rockies will address this off-season:

1 - Fairly quickly address Manasger Walt Weiss' future. There seems to be no question whatsoever he will be back. The question seems to be for how many years. The Rockies tend to deal with stuff like this in their own way in a prescribed manner and only after due diligence. It'll happen but unlike the way say the Mets and Twins have addressed their Field Manager situations the Rockies will sort it out in their own time.
2 - It seems like a fairly routine task but I attach great importance to replacing Dante Bichette as Hitting Coach. I'm not close enough to Denver to really know why he's not coming back. Perhaps it's for the reasons he stated. He seemed to do a good job. My choice last year before the Rockies made all their choices for Manager and Coaches was to see Vinny Castilla have a greater role. I'd love to see him replace Bichette.
3 - Well, along with just about every other MLB team the Rockies need at least one good starting pitcher added to the rotation. There were some positive strides made by some in 2013 and strides backwards by others. If the Dodgers tire of Kershaw, Ryu, Greinke or Nolasco the Rockies will take them off their hands.
4 - I thought the Rockies bullpen was in pretty good form entering 2013. I was wrong. I loved the acquisition of Wilton Lopez but it seems like the Rockies bullpen...other than a select few like Rex Brothers...blew up instead. As much as I like Brothers I don't know if LH Closers can be counted on in the long run. Clearly the bullpen has to be tweaked.
I see where there seems to be consensus that the Rockies need a power hitter from the right side. I don't necessarily see that but perhaps the concern is that Cuddyer is only under contract for another 1 season, Tulo can't stay healthy for an entire season and Arenado's power stroke is still a couple of years away.

Beyond that I don't know. The more senior off-field management style of the Rockies has always been a mystery to me. I don't know if anything happens at the Dan O'Dowd / Bill Geivett level. I really don't know who makes decisions or what either's role really is. The Rockies seem to like lots of layers of management so I have no idea if any changes will come in that end of things.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they are too far away. I agree with 67RS in that I wouldn't consider the season a disappointment, because heading into the season, I thought they would be years away from contention. Now, I"m confident (with a couple acquisitions), they can be contenders (should they stay relatively healthy).

I'll end up echoing most of what 67RS said. I don't see the overwhelming need for a RH power bat. I think the bullpen needs a bit of an overhaul. I like Ottavino and Brothers. I'd like to give Outman, Lopez, and Corpas another shot..but with relatively short leashes. But I would be happy if they found at least 2 relievers. I could live with 1.

And I'd like to see another starter. But it seems most that they acquire are terrible. Hopefully they can get someone who can turn out to be somewhere in between De la Rosa and Jason Hammel. As for names...I have no idea who is available.

But the hard part is, I'm too loyal to most of the team. I would think they can spare trading away Fowler, Blackmon, or Dickerson...but I'd be really bummed if any of them left.

With these owners though, I guess should consider it a good offseason if they don't trade away Tulo or Cargo.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockies have traded Dexter Fowler to the Astros for Jordan Lyles and Brandon, or is it Brian, Barnes.

Any way, I'm sure there are some Rockies' fans sad to see Fowler leave. I don't know much about Lyles, but I did see Barnes a few times and I believe you guys are going to like having him. His numbers don't blow you away, but every time I saw him he seemed to do well. He looks like a kid who plays hard and has talent.

An interesting trade.

Also, looks like Justin Mourneau is coming on board. If he stays healthy he should hit quite well and I believe he'll play a decent 1B.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with all the talk about moving Fowler, particularly during last year's off-season, I didn't see this coming. Despite Barnes (Brandon) being the Astros regular CF'er in 2013 I know didlly squat about him and that is nothing against Barnes...more against me for simply not paying attention to the Astros.
On the face of it the deal does not make sense trading a CF'er for another CF'er of the same age and with lesser stats even when you toss in a starting pitcher in Lyles. Lyles numbers are not impressive, just the opposite. I know Fowler is owed almost $8M for next year and Barnes and Lyle can be had for about $1M but in today's marketplace that is not significant...but perhaps for the Rockies it is significant ...if they think they can get equal or near equal return for $7M less.

The fact that you have seen positives in Barnes' play Silas is enough to make me reserve judgement which I think is only fair anyway. Here's some comments on the deal I have read:

Barnes, 27, was a late bloomer and only came up for his first full major league season in 2013. A solid outfielder with above-average range, Barnes scuffled a bit at the plate at the end of Houston's lineup. He hit just .240/.289/.346 on the season with eight home runs and 41 RBI. He added 11 stolen bases but was caught just as many times.
The brightest spot of Barnes' season was when he hit for the cycle on July 19

"I think it's fair to say we are more willing to listen to calls about Dexter than we might have been in the past," said Dan O'Dowd "He has a lot to prove this year within the industry. He's got to show up and he's got to do that."

The Rockies GM also openly questioned Fowler's daily commitment, saying that he needs to get "tougher."

Personally, I would have been happy with a Dexter Fowler for Matt Kemp deal (joke). I truly hope Kemp has a bounce-back 2014 season. I know he's more than capable, if healthy.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Rockies' brass had soured on Fowler and probably wanted to save some money, too....perhaps to help pay for Matt Kemp's salary....haha.

Though I think it's unlikely that Kemp will be traded you just never know and nothing surprises me any more.

It's been an interesting week and a lot more to follow, I'm sure.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys how have you been? The Rockies trading Dexter Fowler was nothing more than a salary dump. They knew they had to acquire a 1B because they didn't have enough sense to have one ready to make the jump from AAA to the majors. They had all this time to prepare with Helton retiring yet they failed. They could have been paying a rookie the ML base salary, instead they had to sign a player like Morenau $13M over 2 years. Barnes may not make the roster with Blackmon and Dickerson penciled in for LF. Cargo moves to CF and Cuddyer stays in RF.
The Rox still have not addressed the SP issues with the 5th spot costing them over 30 loses in '13. I have read somewhere that Lyles is already concerned about making the adjustment of pitching at Coors Field. With an ERA of 5.69 last season I think the risk of failure has already been addressed. O'Dowd and the rest of his circus clowns have no business running a ML team.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fences...c'mom now tell us what you really think of O'Dowd.

Seriously, I thought his function changed last year but really I see no difference in the FO structure whatsoever...it must have been window dressing.

I do like Morneau and think he has enough left in the tank to help the Rockies but what am I missing...why wouldn't Cuddyer work at 1B. He wouldn't be any more of a liability at 1B than he is in the Outfield, perhaps less. If the cheapskates dump Fowler to save some money why wouldn't they they shift Cuddyer to 1B, ease the logjam in the OF and save Morneau's $13M price tag?