• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that Nike is no longer selling balls, what should I get?

Which Balls To Use

• Titelist

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Taylor Made

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Calloway

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Other, Please State

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing that can be said about my golf game is that I can break 100, so I am not really in a position where a ball is going to help or hurt me too much. That being said, I like Pinnacles

Maybe...the higher spinning balls can actually save a few strokes around the green. Some players can get Pinnacles to bite off full wedges, but short shots...you need to play for the roll out, getting a ball to check up with a chip or pitch is hard to do with a Pinnacle.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...the higher spinning balls can actually save a few strokes around the green. Some players can get Pinnacles to bite off full wedges, but short shots...you need to play for the roll out, getting a ball to check up with a chip or pitch is hard to do with a Pinnacle.

Amateurs trying to hit high spin shots that stop or run back to the hole? Sounds like bad shot selection from somebody who only pulls that shot off 1 out of 10 times from the fairway.

Play the high % shot and you'll avoid the triples that plague most high handicappers games.

My biggest problem with some of these cheap balls is how different they feel off the putter face.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amateurs trying to hit high spin shots that stop or run back to the hole? Sounds like bad shot selection from somebody who only pulls that shot off 1 out of 10 times from the fairway.

Play the high % shot and you'll avoid the triples that plague most high handicappers games.

My biggest problem with some of these cheap balls is how different they feel off the putter face.

I think we're talking about two different things.

1st off...you're right if you're a 18+ index, you need to play the most simple shot that you can execute the majority of the time.

That said...the avg bogey golfer can and do play the type shots I'm talking about all the time...if you have say 4 paces of rough to clear to reach the green...and 5 or 6 paces of green to pin, bumping the ball may not be the best option...you need to chip or pitch it on.

If you make ball first contact with a wedge, you're creating spin....it can be a low shot with a PW or a higher shot with a 56 deg...the ball will hit check up and roll out...depending on the club and ball you play determines how much the ball will roll out. That's my point...a higher spinning ball can save strokes for a higher hdcp player...that slightly bladed chip is off the green with a Pinnacle...the same shot with a PROVI with probably stay on the green.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1st off...you're right if you're a 18+ index, you need to play the most simple shot that you can execute the majority of the time.

That said...the avg bogey golfer can and do play the type shots I'm talking about all the time...if you have say 4 paces of rough to clear to reach the green...and 5 or 6 paces of green to pin, bumping the ball may not be the best option...you need to chip or pitch it on.

If you make ball first contact with a wedge, you're creating spin....it can be a low shot with a PW or a higher shot with a 56 deg...the ball will hit check up and roll out...depending on the club and ball you play determines how much the ball will roll out. That's my point...a higher spinning ball can save strokes for a higher hdcp player...that slightly bladed chip is off the green with a Pinnacle...the same shot with a PROVI with probably stay on the green.

I know the shot you're talking about... I've hit just as many proV's 10+ feet past the hole as I have random shit balls that I have found.

Only thing that fixes that is practice from different types and distances of rough. I used to spend 90% my time on the range trying to hit driver as long and straight as I could, then 10% putting. Chipping... who the fuck needs to practice chipping when I'm going to drive every hole? Now I spend very little time on the range and tons of time around the green split between chipping and putting. Playing different games to see how many I can get up and down. I wish my home course had a bunker next to the practice green. And even on the range I spend most of my time with a 7 - SW in my hands rather than my driver.

Very rarely will a ball make up for your bladed or chunked chip, no matter how slight.

Another thing I wish more practice greens had was a downhill chip. If I end up missing a green with a drop off to one side, its normally on the high side and I end up with super fast chips that I would love to practice more, but the ground is so damn flat around most practice greens that I can never simulate it.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true, but a problem for a hacker using the higher spin-rate balls is their drives will slice/hook more with them.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the shot you're talking about... I've hit just as many proV's 10+ feet past the hole as I have random shit balls that I have found.

Only thing that fixes that is practice from different types and distances of rough. I used to spend 90% my time on the range trying to hit driver as long and straight as I could, then 10% putting. Chipping... who the fuck needs to practice chipping when I'm going to drive every hole? Now I spend very little time on the range and tons of time around the green split between chipping and putting. Playing different games to see how many I can get up and down. I wish my home course had a bunker next to the practice green. And even on the range I spend most of my time with a 7 - SW in my hands rather than my driver.

Very rarely will a ball make up for your bladed or chunked chip, no matter how slight.

Another thing I wish more practice greens had was a downhill chip. If I end up missing a green with a drop off to one side, its normally on the high side and I end up with super fast chips that I would love to practice more, but the ground is so damn flat around most practice greens that I can never simulate it.
Chipping is driving me mad. I'm thinking of buying a chipper this year, something I thought I would never do.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...before I watch it...does this guy know much about the short game?
200.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I speak from experience on the slight...I said blade but should've said slightly thin shot...agreed bladed even slight is another chip next shot most of the time...the spin ball has kept me on or closer than the rocks...10' past is better than 20

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, but a problem for a hacker using the higher spin-rate balls is their drives will slice/hook more with them.
Yep...hackers with big swings don't need to play high spin balls.
I was that guy starting out 280 but 30 - 40 yds right of the fairway in the trees...that Callaway supersoft ball is not bad ball if you lose a couple a side and still have some decent check around the greens.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
played for the first time in 2018 yesterday. Used old balls from my bag since I was mainly just shaking off the rust.

Got to the 9th hole (just played 9) and decided that I have been hitting the ball well, I am going to break out a new Pro V. Tried to hit a draw around the dogleg left with my new driver, but the ball went straight...into a pond.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
played for the first time in 2018 yesterday. Used old balls from my bag since I was mainly just shaking off the rust.

Got to the 9th hole (just played 9) and decided that I have been hitting the ball well, I am going to break out a new Pro V. Tried to hit a draw around the dogleg left with my new driver, but the ball went straight...into a pond.

lol, ..you just can't more "golf" than that.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, ..you just can't more "golf" than that.
I am going to have to go to the range to figure out this draw thing. Better than burning through $5 golf balls trying to get it to work...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I played yesterday...front 9...kept all 7 drives in play...5 of them in the FW....back 9...turn to 10, tricky hole...410 yds, but there's a creek that cuts across the FW at about 250 yds...you need to carry it about 270 to clear it, so the hole forces you to lay back...I normally hit my 3H about 200 yds...yesterday into a stiff wind I pull 3w instead...nailed it, but put it in the creek...and 2 more drives found hazards so only 3 of the 6 driving holes on the back I was able to play my second shot.

But...an area that hit hooked my ball into on 13...BALL HAVEN...I found 3 PV1s, 2 of the new Taylormade TP5, and 4 B330s...those were just the good balls...had to be a dz balls in that spot....never found MY ball, but not a problem with that bounty...I wasn't going to be able to hit out of there anyway

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This video really helped me last year. If I'm lucky, I'll chip a ball into the cup two or three times a year. After very little practice following this video, i chipped in three in one game. Now if he could only help me with my long irons.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This video really helped me last year. If I'm lucky, I'll chip a ball into the cup two or three times a year. After very little practice following this video, i chipped in three in one game. Now if he could only help me with my long irons.

I'm leaving my 4 iron at home from now on. I'm probably better just shortening my hybrid a little to fill that distance gap.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaving my 4 iron at home from now on. I'm probably better just shortening my hybrid a little to fill that distance gap.
I need a 60° wedge.

and I think the Mickelson video was helpful. I need to try that. My short game sucks ass.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a 60° wedge.

and I think the Mickelson video was helpful. I need to try that. My short game sucks ass.
I've got a 60. One of the hardest clubs to hit in my bag. It's (meaning me) messed up plenty of short approaches to par 5's. A 40 yard shot going 80 yards is no bueno.