• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting to hear if the league will force Coyotes fans to step up to the plate (as in a league mandated 13,000 season tickets for five years to be purchased like Jets fans did a year ago).

Who am I kidding, I already know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting to hear if the league will force Coyotes fans to step up to the plate (as in a league mandated 13,000 season tickets for five years to be purchased like Jets fans did a year ago).

i never thought of that. I dont think bettman would even allow that question in his list of questions he gives to reporters/agencies

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

they did that to Nashville a few years ago, too.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they did that to Nashville a few years ago, too.

not to keep the franchise (although I think preds owners had an arena lease out clause if they couldnt reach an attendance threshhold) or to award the franchise to a new market though ... the rule in that case was there for Nashville to particpate in revenue sharing

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any word if a guy named "Boots" is involved in this new Coyotes ownership group?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the sheer number of people supposedly involved in this ownership group, Im starting to wonder if you guys on SportsHoopla did indeed pool your 401k's , rrsp's and tfsa's to buy this team

/Im outta the loop again DAMMIT!

//and on this occasion, I thank you all for it :)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the sheer number of people supposedly involved in this ownership group, Im starting to wonder if you guys on SportsHoopla did indeed pool your 401k's , rrsp's and tfsa's to buy this team

/Im outta the loop again DAMMIT!

//and on this occasion, I thank you all for it :)

well give you 1000 shares for one of your kids train cars...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the stock market keeps plunging, my TFSA's and RRSP's won't be able to buy me a nice dinner out.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Grange on Coyotes: Bettman's bill of goods - sportsnet.ca

"According to long-time Glendale city councilor Phil Lieberman, the terms of the deal being given to Jamison -- who has partners, apparently, but wouldn't name them -- basically see him guaranteed $306 million in management fees for Jobing.com Arena over the next 21 years, or an average of $14.6 million a year. A large chunk of that money is front-end loaded, with Glendale on the hook for $92 million over the next five years."

here we go again :L

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grange on Coyotes: Bettman's bill of goods - sportsnet.ca

"According to long-time Glendale city councilor Phil Lieberman, the terms of the deal being given to Jamison -- who has partners, apparently, but wouldn't name them -- basically see him guaranteed $306 million in management fees for Jobing.com Arena over the next 21 years, or an average of $14.6 million a year. A large chunk of that money is front-end loaded, with Glendale on the hook for $92 million over the next five years."

here we go again :L

Wouldn't it be a better use of his time for Bettman to just go door to door in Glendale and rob every house of it's valuables? This is a farce and no way does this deal go through.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard an interview with a reporter from a Phoenix abc affiliate network who reiterated the points below and added they are cutting services as well

The city of Glendale has to agree to the deal being sought by the Jamison group, and then a city with a $35-million budget shortfall has to figure out how to pay for it -- no easy task given homeowners are already going to be hit with a 30 per cent property tax hike in August that will likely come with a layoff of city employees.

plus they cant get money from the markets because their bonds are at junk status

There was no true deal yesterday ... Bettman was there for face to face meetings with individual Glendale city councillors ... to try to get their "support" / vote / money

congrats to the citizens of glendale

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard an interview with a reporter from a Phoenix abc affiliate network who reiterated the points below and added they are cutting services as well

The city of Glendale has to agree to the deal being sought by the Jamison group, and then a city with a $35-million budget shortfall has to figure out how to pay for it -- no easy task given homeowners are already going to be hit with a 30 per cent property tax hike in August that will likely come with a layoff of city employees.

plus they cant get money from the markets because their bonds are at junk status

There was no true deal yesterday ... Bettman was there for face to face meetings with individual Glendale city councillors ... to try to get their "support" / vote / money

congrats to the citizens of glendale

So the city council and the citizens of Glendale/Phoenix have to agree to finalize it? When they have repeatedly proven that by and large, they do not care?

Good jorb Bettman.

I just found this in another discussion about the situation:
Gate+Revenue.PNG

Interesting that Atlanta had gate revenues roughly 30% better than Phoenix and got NOTHING in terms of help from the league and moved. But the league keeps fucking that (desert) dog.

Oh and Columbus' revenue is pretty much equal to San Jose. So let's stop talking all this contract the Jackets crap. And we can finally stop believing that whole "losing ten mil a year" crap.

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to figure at the very least Goldwater is going to say "Nice try Gary" and put a stop to it, that is if it ever gets through a taxpayer vote.

We talk a lot of crap about Bettman, but I refuse to believe he is stupid enough to think this is a fair deal for everyone. Maybe this is his cop out deal. When the team does move, he can turn around and say: "Well, at least I tried", then blame everybody but himself for the Coyotes leaving.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe jstew could dig up that link showing that the MTS Centre was amongst one of the busiest buildings in North America prior to the Jets returning from Atlanta. There are other alternatives to filling Jobing.com arena besides a NHL hockey team.

If memory serves, the MTS Centre was the 19th busiest building in North America based on dates filled. They had a minor league team in the Moose as the primary tenant, but they also booked concerts, trade shows, conventions etc. to fill other dates.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To keep the team afloat, moreover, the city has been paying a so-called "arena management fee" of nearly $25 million a year to the NHL, which three years ago bought the Coyotes out of bankruptcy.

Ah. Didn't know that. Now we know why Bettman hasn't moved them.