• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks about the username....

Today Weaver didn't have it and the pen came in and did well witt the exception of Bowman allowing a homer to non other than Heyward. Gregerson, Holland, and Leone pitched well....

On to 3 with Cincy

Mr. Brock, and I hope you don't mind me calling you that. IF you do I will be happy to call you McCarver, Cepeda, Javier, Shannon, Flood, and please help me with the rest of the starters in that 1964 Cardinals starting lineup since I'm not as young as I use to be. Oh, did I mention a guy by the name of Bob Gibson? Maybe I'm getting some of it back but I do remember that I loved Harry Carry until he became a traitor and went to the Cubs and then Jack Buck who told it like it was.

Today was not a good day for the Cardinals nation even though we tried to make a game out of it but we got a split in Cubbyville and we're headed home for some good home cooking against John's Reds. Hey John, I know you are reading this so I hope I said this politely enough. Anyway, for any Pirates fans out there, take a look in your rear view mirror and you will see a whole flock of redbirds filling it up and we will peck hard when we catch you.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is taking that horrible contract. Reds would need to eat a bit
I think Votto will retire once he sees his game eroding. He's aware of his legacy if he isn't arrogant about it in a quiet sort of way. If he's approached about a trade, he will reject it, I think.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Votto will retire once he sees his game eroding. He's aware of his legacy if he isn't arrogant about it in a quiet sort of way. If he's approached about a trade, he will reject it, I think.

John, With revenge on your mind please don't sweep the redbirds this weekend since we are still trying to catch the Pirates.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, With revenge on your mind please don't sweep the redbirds this weekend since we are still trying to catch the Pirates.

We arent the team to worry about.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 8/9ths of the season to play. Pretenders are not contenders. This is not the 1980s anymore.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 8/9ths of the season to play. Pretenders are not contenders. This is not the 1980s anymore.

John, I can't seem to find my 8/9ths wrench anywhere. Are you sure they make one in that size?

I've got to tell you, it's not easy being a Cardinals fan since they always seem to want to put unnecessary drama into the 9th inning as Bud Norris struggled to close out the game tonight.

Your Reds are not an easy out even if their record says differently. I think they are only a player or two from becoming very competitive and if your GM is worth his salt he will find them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, I can't seem to find my 8/9ths wrench anywhere. Are you sure they make one in that size?

I've got to tell you, it's not easy being a Cardinals fan since they always seem to want to put unnecessary drama into the 9th inning as Bud Norris struggled to close out the game tonight.

Your Reds are not an easy out even if their record says differently. I think they are only a player or two from becoming very competitive and if your GM is worth his salt he will find them.

The ineptitude was dripping tonight. I know Molina is a good hitter but after 17 years, they ought to know he's going to hit that pitch for a double. He has done it 6,000 times and they keep throwing it there. What, do they think Molina is up there guessing curveball? Geez, do they not have any old game films?
Reds broadcasters were all over themselves tonight trying to sell the fans on the new hard-nosed accountability of a fuckin' interim manager who isn't going to tinker with a half-dozen young pitchers. Tucker Barnhart is their best offensive player now, hitting 6th in the lineup. He's the damned catcher. Should be hitting 8th and trying to take walks so the pitcher doesn't lead off the next inning. Votto is in a haze right now. He has exactly 0 home runs.
Reds run bases like I would. What runner gets tagged out on a fly ball to left field? Well, yeah ... one dumb enough to fall for the fake throw to home plate. Reds GM was on TV talking to the announcers about "fundamentals" and in the middle of the sentence, Winker is thrown out trying to tag from first base. Ozuna is good but not that good.
Riggleman calls for a replay appeal on a pickoff throw that everyone in 45 states could see was the right call. Dum-bass of course loses the appeal and later on, when the appeal would have worked on a ball Mesoraco hit, he doesn't have one left. Really, the video guy is that damned dumb.
Best pitcher they got now out of the bullpen is Dylan Floro, who was scraped off the waiver wire and came to camp without a roster spot.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ineptitude was dripping tonight. I know Molina is a good hitter but after 17 years, they ought to know he's going to hit that pitch for a double. He has done it 6,000 times and they keep throwing it there. What, do they think Molina is up there guessing curveball? Geez, do they not have any old game films?
Reds broadcasters were all over themselves tonight trying to sell the fans on the new hard-nosed accountability of a fuckin' interim manager who isn't going to tinker with a half-dozen young pitchers. Tucker Barnhart is their best offensive player now, hitting 6th in the lineup. He's the damned catcher. Should be hitting 8th and trying to take walks so the pitcher doesn't lead off the next inning. Votto is in a haze right now. He has exactly 0 home runs.
Reds run bases like I would. What runner gets tagged out on a fly ball to left field? Well, yeah ... one dumb enough to fall for the fake throw to home plate. Reds GM was on TV talking to the announcers about "fundamentals" and in the middle of the sentence, Winker is thrown out trying to tag from first base. Ozuna is good but not that good.
Riggleman calls for a replay appeal on a pickoff throw that everyone in 45 states could see was the right call. Dum-bass of course loses the appeal and later on, when the appeal would have worked on a ball Mesoraco hit, he doesn't have one left. Really, the video guy is that damned dumb.
Best pitcher they got now out of the bullpen is Dylan Floro, who was scraped off the waiver wire and came to camp without a roster spot.

John, Why don't you really tell us how you feel about the current Reds situation?

Seriously, I do know how you feel and it's very frustrating because I have experienced this feeling many times with my favorite teams in all sports.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, Why don't you really tell us how you feel about the current Reds situation?

Seriously, I do know how you feel and it's very frustrating because I have experienced this feeling many times with my favorite teams in all sports.
The worst part is that it really never does get better, even if they promise it will.
If the Reds get hot enough to contend one year, the following year they are trading guys away so they don't have to pay them the arbitration wage. If they hold onto the guy, they lose him for a "prospect." Frankly, I don't follow the Reds because I want the Pensacola team to win the fuckin' Southerrn League pennant. (Which they won't anyway.)

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst part is that it really never does get better, even if they promise it will.
If the Reds get hot enough to contend one year, the following year they are trading guys away so they don't have to pay them the arbitration wage. If they hold onto the guy, they lose him for a "prospect." Frankly, I don't follow the Reds because I want the Pensacola team to win the fuckin' Southerrn League pennant. (Which they won't anyway.)

John, Just a few years ago when the Cardinals owned the NL Central the Reds were the team they had to beat to get there. You make a great point which applies to all sports. When a team wins it all, the following year their coaches go else where for more money, their players want more money, and all of a sudden the team chemistry falls apart in many cases.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals have an off day on Monday before welcoming the Mets to town for a series beginning on Tuesday with hopefully some payback for their series with the Mets in New York that opened the season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds could end up with 115 losses -- not a record, but it's in the top 5.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds could end up with 115 losses -- not a record, but it's in the top 5.

John, that would suck for Reds fans if that happens. Mike Shannon, the Cardinals announcer, kept saying over and over today on the Cardinals radio broadcast that we had better get these Reds now because they are going to be a better team the next time we see them. I agree with him because this was a 3-2 game today going into the bottom of the 7th and several of these games this season with the Cards vs. the Reds have ended in one run games.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, that would suck for Reds fans if that happens. Mike Shannon, the Cardinals announcer, kept saying over and over today on the Cardinals radio broadcast that we had better get these Reds now because they are going to be a better team the next time we see them. I agree with him because this was a 3-2 game today going into the bottom of the 7th and several of these games this season with the Cards vs. the Reds have ended in one run games.
I think Suarez gives them an additional bat. Other than that, the dugout staff is going to manage without ambition or motivation. There is no incentive for Riggleman to win. He gets no pot of gold and he's probably being told to not tamper with the young pitchers very much. I don't know if they bring Senzel up for anything other than show. They don't need him. I think they will jettison Iglesias, maybe Duvall and possibly Gennett. Hamilton is probably going to be traded too. These guys all know this shit.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals have an off day on Monday before welcoming the Mets to town for a series beginning on Tuesday with hopefully some payback for their series with the Mets in New York that opened the season.

tomcat, have you heard if Flaherty will be called up for Wednesday game? I heard that Weaver has been moved to Tuesday.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
votto isn't retiring and leaving $100K...

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they aren't. The Reds have nothing promising in their future. Sorry, it's the truth.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tomcat, have you heard if Flaherty will be called up for Wednesday game? I heard that Weaver has been moved to Tuesday.

I heard that Weaver has been moved to Tuesday too but I haven't heard anything about the Wednesday starter yet. I'm certainly ready to see Flaherty make another start.

I'm also ready to see Matt Carpenter start hitting more than .176

I'm not sure what the Mets will do with their pitching rotation in St. Louis since they were rained out in Atlanta today.

Let me know as soon as you hear something concrete and I will do the same.