• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Lions HC, Matt Patricia

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to have this dude coach the Lions. After overseeing one of the worst defenses in football last season.

Seriously? They had 5 bad games out of 18. And they were missing their best player. 13 games they played well and were 5th in Pts against even with the 5 bad games.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to have this dude coach the Lions. After overseeing one of the worst defenses in football last season.

Worst D last year? I'll take the worst D and making and losing in the SuperBowl over coming in second in the NFC North.

Again.....

.... and missing the playoffs .....

But I've been accused of having low standards.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst D last year? I'll take the worst D and making and losing in the SuperBowl over coming in second in the NFC North.

Again.....

I like Patricia as a coach. I mean we've tried everything else, why not try a smart succesful guy?

But you have to admit it's funny that The Jags, Vikings, and Eagles all made it to the conference championship games because of their defense and in spite of their QB's. While New England made it to the Championship and then the Superbowl solely on the strong right arm of Tom Brady and in spite of their defense. And then we went and hired the DC of the Pats...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? They had 5 bad games out of 18. And they were missing their best player. 13 games they played well and were 5th in Pts against even with the 5 bad games.

I know you are a Pats fan and all but come on. Defense is the only reason the Pats aren't super bowl champions again this year.

What do you mean by "missing their best player"... Missing their best player means getting gashed for chunk plays all day long?

What happens if Slay gets injured a couple games and we give up 40 points? It will be okay just cause we are missing one player?

Fact is, Austin is a better defense coordinator than this guy. He just lost in the game of politics.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again.....

I was all for firing Caldwell. Dude is a classic case of mediocre.

If you think the D coordinator was the reason the Pats were consistently getting to the super bowl, you are sorely mistaken.

I am willing to give this guy a shot, I have no choice. But I am very weary of this hire. Looks like a "buddy" hire. Those usually never work in business.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be worse, BQ could have had a deal in place with McDaniels. What a display of douchebaggery that was.

I have a hard time deciding who is a bigger prick between him and Lane Kiffin. Both could make my day just be getting punched in tgge face though. I'm sure Bielema will do something douchey here pretty soon and make it a 3 horse race again, they'they've all 3 been pretty consistent. But for now it's only the 2 of them.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again.....

Me too. But I don't think Brady's coming with him.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll reserve judgement until I see him coach in the second half with a lead.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact is, Austin is a better defense coordinator than this guy. He just lost in the game of politics.

Patriots top 5 defense (296 points against/18 pts per game avg)

Lions 21st (376 points against/23 pts per game avg)

I'll never understand why Lions fans (and it's only Lions fans) love this guy so much. He had one good year with Suh and a bunch of average to poor ones. No other fan base ever wants this guy. Bengal fans don't even care about him.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are not expected to re-sign impending free agent C Travis Swanson.

Swanson has missed 11 games over the last three seasons and has a troubling concussion history that has ended each of his past two seasons. When on the field last year, Swanson was one of Pro Football Focus' worst centers. The Lions are expected to move forward with Graham Glasgow at the pivot.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the Lions should have just kept Schwartz. Guy did wonders with the Eagles defense in his short time in Philly. Meanwhile the Patriots defenses are always their weakest unit in all these years.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions signed GM Bob Quinn to an extension through 2022.

The team gave new coach Matt Patricia a five-year deal, and this extension links both the coach and GM for the next five seasons. It was Quinn who handpicked Patricia after the two worked together in New England. Quinn has hit on 2016 draft picks LT Taylor Decker, C Graham Glasgow, and DE Anthony Zettel, while also nabbing All-Pro returner Jamal Agnew in the fifth round last year.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the Lions should have just kept Schwartz. Guy did wonders with the Eagles defense in his short time in Philly. Meanwhile the Patriots defenses are always their weakest unit in all these years.

He is an awesome dc, a shit head coach. He is an out of control ass hole, and the team has no discipline when he is in charge.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll never understand why Lions fans (and it's only Lions fans) love this guy so much. He had one good year with Suh and a bunch of average to poor ones. No other fan base ever wants this guy. Bengal fans don't even care about him.

He also had a top 10 pts against defense every single year he was DC. Nothing against Austin of course. I think he did well too. I am sure he had a hand in who got drafted as well. We went from one of the worst secondaries in the league to one of the best during his years. Lions just did a shitty job of drafting LBs.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions signed GM Bob Quinn to an extension through 2022.

The team gave new coach Matt Patricia a five-year deal, and this extension links both the coach and GM for the next five seasons. It was Quinn who handpicked Patricia after the two worked together in New England. Quinn has hit on 2016 draft picks LT Taylor Decker, C Graham Glasgow, and DE Anthony Zettel, while also nabbing All-Pro returner Jamal Agnew in the fifth round last year.

My 5 year plan for football domination is coming along nicely.
images

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Name me one good linebacker the guy has had since Tulloch left. I'll wait...

Also, to be even average with the talent we had on the DL and LB this season was nothing short of impressive.

As for this new guy. I will take a wait and see approach. The best outcome is he isn't as conservative as Caldwell and let's Cooter get more aggressive on offense. Hopefully teach Cooter how to properly install an offensive rushing game plan.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name me one good linebacker the guy has had since Tulloch left. I'll wait...

Also, to be even average with the talent we had on the DL and LB this season was nothing short of impressive.

As for this new guy. I will take a wait and see approach. The best outcome is he isn't as conservative as Caldwell and let's Cooter get more aggressive on offense. Hopefully teach Cooter how to properly install an offensive rushing game plan.

Patricia's whole reputation is based on him winning with a no name defense. He even won with Van Noy. If Austin gets credit for having a no name defense then Patty does too. You could even argue that the Lions have a better secondary than New England.