• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ND DC Elko Leaves for Texas AM

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Hitman. Does he run a base 3-4, 4-3, or one of the new hybrid defensive sets? Blitz or rely on the base front? Man coverage or zone?
Some would describe his defense as being a 4-2-5, although this would not be accurate. For one, Elko likes to use multiple different fronts that would allow him to get more pressure on the quarterback. Elko's weakside defensive end is usually a hybrid type of player who could come off the edge and pass rush or drop into coverage. This is where Elko blurs the line between a 4-3 weakside defensive end and a 3-4 rush linebacker.

Elko's defensive front focuses on generating pressure by having the linemen use a 1-technique to shoot the gaps while also having an extra linebacker or two provide additional pressure through a blitz. This is a great departure from VanGorder who seldom employed blitzes and often times the linemen looked as though they were playing a 2-gap technique and focused on occupying blockers.

The other reason that classifying Elko's defense as a 4-2-5 would be inaccurate is his use of the defensive backs. In a traditional five defensive back formation, otherwise known as the nickel formation, an extra cornerback otherwise known as the nickelback is put on the field in order to assist with coverage. What makes Elko's defense unique and has become a major talking point is his use of a linebacker/safety hybrid which he refers to as the Rover position. The rover in this defense will be coached by the linebackers coach Clarke Lea but will function as both a linebacker and a strong safety.

From Irish Sports Talk

My opinion after reading further this is a representation of the old split 6 defensive scheme. Uses a "monster/rover" type player opposed to the traditional nickel corner.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Hitman. Does he run a base 3-4, 4-3, or one of the new hybrid defensive sets? Blitz or rely on the base front? Man coverage or zone?

He ran a 4-2-5 at Wake. He favors zone coverage, but he'll still use man coverage from time to time.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Domers,

What kind of DC is A&M getting? I didn't follow ND football all that close. Just looking at the scores, it looks like outside of Wake, Miami, and Stanford the defense was pretty dang good? I have heard he is a good recruiter but don't really know anything about him or his defense? What is his base defense.

I don't mean to offend by coming to the ND board, just wanted to get a little info from ND fans.

Seemed like a good coach but he was only here one year so it's hard to pass much of a judgement on what kind of coach he is. Notre Dame improved on defense in many key areas this year with Elko.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Domers,

What kind of DC is A&M getting? I didn't follow ND football all that close. Just looking at the scores, it looks like outside of Wake, Miami, and Stanford the defense was pretty dang good? I have heard he is a good recruiter but don't really know anything about him or his defense? What is his base defense.

I don't mean to offend by coming to the ND board, just wanted to get a little info from ND fans.
I’ve read a lot of the comments and for the most part I think they’re spot on.

I think this was an A hire for A&M. Elko is young, preaches fundamentals (which were non-existent under our prior coach)

He ran a 4-2-5 at ND. Drue Tranquill played the “rover” position as a hybrid LB SS.

I disagree that he likes zone. We were in 1 on 1 press coverage almost all year.

Likes an aggressive style. Also an energetic recruiter. I’m worried we are going to lose some 2019 defensive players.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's tried leaving before, I believe back in 2015 he was passed over by A&M
Hmm ... wasn't aware of that. I thought he loved it at VT and stayed on for Fuente after Beamer left. I do know Foster was disappointed he didn't get considered to fill Beamer's shoes, but I guess he liked Fuente.

Hey @Camfantasy ... wanna give up Bud? We'll take him. You can have Mt. Kelly in return.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm ... wasn't aware of that. I thought he loved it at VT and stayed on for Fuente after Beamer left. I do know Foster was disappointed he didn't get considered to fill Beamer's shoes, but I guess he liked Fuente.

Hey @Camfantasy ... wanna give up Bud? We'll take him. You can have Mt. Kelly in return.

he considered A&M when Beamer left because he wasn't sure of his job security under the new staff and his lack of familiarity with the new staff. He's not going anywhere else to be a DC now. Jimbo floated that boat to him after he got hired at A&M (did at FSU too) and he turned them down pretty quickly this time.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he considered A&M when Beamer left because he wasn't sure of his job security under the new staff and his lack of familiarity with the new staff. He's not going anywhere else to be a DC now. Jimbo floated that boat to him after he got hired at A&M (did at FSU too) and he turned them down pretty quickly this time.
So ... that's a "no" for BK then? lol

Put yer wiener down & answer, bech.

Rhetorical question ... who would want Kelly at this point, unless you had a real serious challenge at say ... game film coord? :rolleyes2:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ... that's a "no" for BK then? lol

Put yer wiener down & answer, bech.

Rhetorical question ... who would want Kelly at this point, unless you had a real serious challenge at say ... game film coord? :rolleyes2:

definitely a no

fuck you it's mine and i'll do what i want with it

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s my understanding that A&M is paying him $300K more, and Texas has no state income tax. Probably totals to an additional $500k. That’s not an insignificant amount. In any event, I wish him well, and hopefully we can find another Elko, and not a Van Gorder.

ND_loyal son

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think BK may try to promote from within? Maybe Lea? Elston? If ND thinks either is ready, it may help with continuity for recruiting (and even re-recruiting Coney and Tillery) and it may help on the field in running the same system again as opposed to switching to a brand new defensive scheme after only one year. Obviously IF you can land a homerun hire like a Foster (not that I think they will) then you take him and thank your lucky stars. Outside of that though, promoting from within could prove to be a simple but solid approach.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think BK may try to promote from within? Maybe Lea? Elston? If ND thinks either is ready, it may help with continuity for recruiting (and even re-recruiting Coney and Tillery) and it may help on the field in running the same system again as opposed to switching to a brand new defensive scheme after only one year. Obviously IF you can land a homerun hire like a Foster (not that I think they will) then you take him and thank your lucky stars. Outside of that though, promoting from within could prove to be a simple but solid approach.

I think Lea over Elston simply because Elston ran the defense in all but name when they went 4-8. I'm not sure that losing Elko is as huge as it could have been simply because the defense didn't know how to do the fundamentals under Van Gorder they do now and that should be something they can continue to do.

ND_loyal son

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lea over Elston simply because Elston ran the defense in all but name when they went 4-8. I'm not sure that losing Elko is as huge as it could have been simply because the defense didn't know how to do the fundamentals under Van Gorder they do now and that should be something they can continue to do.

Not to mention the fact that Lea is probably more familiar with the current system since he ran it at Wake with Elko prior to coming to ND. Elko thought enough of him that he brought him with him to ND. If he's not offered the ND DC, I wonder if he'd bolt to A&M with Elko as one of his assistants?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, maybe there's more to the story than what you read?

He was not getting the same. A&M came at him and ND gave him a raise to stay, then A&M topped that raise. He agreed to stay after the first pay raise, then bolted after A&M topped that and ND was not going to match. Sounds like money to me. Maybe there was more to the story, but....IDK....seem's to me, dude was about the cash.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not getting the same. A&M came at him and ND gave him a raise to stay, then A&M topped that raise. He agreed to stay after the first pay raise, then bolted after A&M topped that and ND was not going to match. Sounds like money to me. Maybe there was more to the story, but....IDK....seem's to me, dude was about the cash.

where did you get the info it went down this way?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where did you get the info it went down this way?
I’ve heard this in another site too (their info is usually solid). IMO they made the right play. Would have looked worse to keep throwing money at the guy.