• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Moulson a bright light during the Buffalo Sabres dark days

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That the Buffalo Sabres have struggled this year is no secret. But when the rebuild began in earnest with the trading of Thomas Vanek to the New York Islanders, at least since-fired GM Darcy Regier got a talented player in return.
Matt Moulson was that veteran scorer and his production hasn’t slowed since heading up the interstate, but it’s more than just scoring punch that makes Moulson an asset. He also comes with historical knowledge that a young team can grow together, since he saw it first-hand with the Islanders.
“I try to share some experiences when I can,” Moulson said. “Having done it before, you have to let guys know that they just need to keep working and learning and getting better. That’s the only way to improve the team if everyone’s learning and making sure the same mistakes made in the past aren’t made again in the future.”
When Ted Nolan took over behind the bench for the fired Ron Rolston and Pat LaFontaine set up camp in the front office, the Sabres sent teenagers Nikita Zadorov back to major junior and Rasmus Ristolainen to the American League. An attempt to demote a third teen, Mikhail Grigorenko, to the minors was nixed by the NHL because they believed his “conditioning assignment” had nothing to do with weight and everything to do with buying time.
So the Sabres are still green, but Moulson sees the upside.
“Obviously a lot of young guys are still learning,” he said. “It’s similar to the situation I had on the Island early on. We were rebuilding. It’s fun to be a part of this group and hopefully I can help.”
Getting traded never comes at a good time, but it was especially tricky for Moulson. His wife had just given birth to their second child (a boy, to go along with a young girl), so they stayed in Connecticut for the first month after the trade. On the bright side, Moulson’s parents, brother and sister all live in Mississauga, Ont., which is just an hour and a half from the U.S. border, so they were able to see his Sabres debut.
“It’s been an easy adjustment,” Moulson said. “The organization was very welcoming to me and it always makes it easier when your family is comfortable as well.”

Moulson a bright light during the Buffalo Sabres dark days | Post-to-Post

Wonder if they look to extend him rather than trade him?

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should try to extend him. Great, young player. He's saying all the right things, but I can't help but think he'd be nuts not to test the market and go somewhere else that isn't a complete disaster.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should try to extend him. Great, young player. He's saying all the right things, but I can't help but think he'd be nuts not to test the market and go somewhere else that isn't a complete disaster.

I honestly doubt they extend him, especially if they can get a prospect and a first in return for him. Hard to pass that up.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why get a prospect (and another draft pick) when both those guys probably don't amount to Moulson? He's young and at a level where you hope that prospect/draft pick would be (but probably won't) in 3 years.

The Sabres don't have much worth keeping on their team right now. It'd be nice to see them extend one of the few young talents currently on the roster. Esp after trading Miller (which I do agree with), you'd think they'd need to give the fans a few reasons to come watch next year. "Rochester in the NHL 2014-15" just doesn't have a great ring to it.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know Moulson is 30, right? He's not that young by any means. Yes he's still producing, but if you can get another first round pick to add to the 10 combined you have in the first two rounds for the next two years, you do it.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they didn't get that first round pick (two seconds...one in 2016), but they did trade Moulson.

The current roster is a horrible joke right now. I know, I know...they aren't making these moves for a playoff push this year, but good lord...that roster looks bad. And it's probably what they will be dealing with next year.

They may not hit double digits in the win column next year. What a garbage organization. They've officially hit rock bottom.

Enter the "we have a billion draft picks" and "Stanley Cup in 20__" chatter based solely on speculation and assumption that a team with a history of poor drafting and player management will suddenly become brilliant