• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Hopkins is the Next SU Basketball Head Coach

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse, N.Y. — It's official.
Mike Hopkins, a former Syracuse University basketball player and a long-time assistant under Jim Boeheim, will take over the Orange program when the Hall of Fame coach retires in three years.

Syracuse University officials made the announcement on Thursday.

"For more than 25 years, Mike Hopkins has demonstrated the true meaning of Orange pride and loyalty," SU chancellor Kent Syverud said in a release. "He has contributed so much to the success of the Syracuse basketball program. I know Mike is ready to lead the program into the future and carry forward the success that has occurred under Coach Boeheim."

The plan is for Hopkins to take over for Boeheim in three years, which means Boeheim will coach Syracuse through the 2017-18 season. Boeheim has been the head coach of Syracuse's basketball team since 1976. He has guided Syracuse to four Final Fours and won the 2003 NCAA championship.

Syracuse officials announce that Mike Hopkins will succeed Jim Boeheim in 3 years | syracuse.com

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with this. It's typical SU in that they are not interested in going out and hiring a proven HC but rather stick with what is known.

Hopkins has been a pretty decent recruiter for SU. But his coaching skills really showed up with Christmas this past season. Coach Hopkins took over coaching the 5 spot when Bernie Fine was released from the program and has done well as far as I'm concerned.

Good Luck to the next SU Basketball HC.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that JB's Swan Song was a calculated risk he was willing to take given the heat the press was holding his feet to the fire and all. He's not sick or too old to coach. Regardless of the announcement when released it did the trick. Now the timing of this successor announcement over the summer has quelled more questions surely to come this fall since the self given post season ban. Every move he's made has been on his own terms.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes he has douggie. And he's earned this respect from SU.
I'm sure that JB's Swan Song was a calculated risk he was willing to take given the heat the press was holding his feet to the fire and all. He's not sick or too old to coach. Regardless of the announcement when released it did the trick. Now the timing of this successor announcement over the summer has quelled more questions surely to come this fall since the self given post season ban. Every move he's made has been on his own terms.

Some have said JB announcing he was leaving would be a death blow to recruiting. I don't think that is going to be the case at all. Hopkins was a big part of recruiting big men and GMac has been doing well getting guards. Those two will still be around a long while. And those two have some talent lining up as we type.

I'm not sure how Hopkins is with in game adjustments, but I guess I will be finding out next year as JB's riding the pine anyways.

But like you said, JB's done this his way and I'm good with that. As far as I'm concerned, he's earned the right to decide how to go out.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jonvi, it reminds me of the way FSU did Bobby Bowden. They kept waiting and waiting but 'ol Bobby kept coaching and coaching. They couldn't get him to quit and give Jimbo Fisher the reins so they just nudged him on out. The result was a Title. You cannot underestimate new blood.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jonvi, it reminds me of the way FSU did Bobby Bowden. They kept waiting and waiting but 'ol Bobby kept coaching and coaching. They couldn't get him to quit and give Jimbo Fisher the reins so they just nudged him on out. The result was a Title. You cannot underestimate new blood.

BB is one of my all time favority cfb coaches. But the last 10 years of him being HC at FSU, it was downhill every step of the way.

JB has seen some of his best successes the last 10 years. I can't compare the two of them at this stage in their careers.

But you are spot on reference new blood. My reservations with Hoppy is he isn't new blood. But I'm not fighting this one though some SU fans are. I'm a wait and see type of guy. I'm willing to give him a chance. I was looking for someone completely different like a Smart or Steve Lavin.

But overall...I'm good.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB is one of my all time favority cfb coaches. But the last 10 years of him being HC at FSU, it was downhill every step of the way.

JB has seen some of his best successes the last 10 years. I can't compare the two of them at this stage in their careers.

But you are spot on reference new blood. My reservations with Hoppy is he isn't new blood. But I'm not fighting this one though some SU fans are. I'm a wait and see type of guy. I'm willing to give him a chance. I was looking for someone completely different like a Smart or Steve Lavin.

But overall...I'm good.

Lavin? You're better than that. Great guy, eh coach.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavin? You're better than that. Great guy, eh coach.

meh...he was available. I'm not so sure he's a shitty coach Many have called JB a poor x's and o's guy.
Lavin did well at UCLA. He went out on a limb at St. Johns trying to get some ball players and got some bad kids that would have done better in a prison system.

He wouldn't have to rebuild SU's program and take chances on undesirable players. Just keep getting the good recruits he's always gotten.

And keep in mind....I'm not agains Hopkins either.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh...he was available. I'm not so sure he's a shitty coach Many have called JB a poor x's and o's guy.
Lavin did well at UCLA. He went out on a limb at St. Johns trying to get some ball players and got some bad kids that would have done better in a prison system.

He wouldn't have to rebuild SU's program and take chances on undesirable players. Just keep getting the good recruits he's always gotten.

And keep in mind....I'm not agains Hopkins either.

I don't think he's a shitty coach at all. I just think he's eh. He's only been to one EE, and that was his first year in LA. He had a nice string of SSs, but I think that was because he's a good recruiter and was in LA. He then went to NY and was a good recruiter, but it translated even less to winning than it did in LA. I don't think he can get the recruits he needs to Cuse, and I don't think he'd be successful outside of a top recruiting base.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavin is a pretty poor coach. Good recruiter though