• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Harkey not returning in 2016

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Diamondbacks fire pitching coach Mike Harkey

“When one part of your team struggles a little bit, a lot of times you have to make changes,” manager Chip Hale said. “We felt like a new voice in that spot was needed. It’s difficult.”

I am not surprised. He was a holdover from the KT/Gibson era. While the team ERA did improve from 2014 season, we were still a bottom half pitching staff.

This tells me that pitching will be the priority this offseason.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I demanded he be fired early last year (which, of course, everyone listened to). I do think he wasn't given the most amazing cast of talent to work with, but no problem with the move.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Diamondbacks hired Mike Butcher (former Angels pitching coach) to replace Harkey. Regardless, Nick Piecoro mapped out which pitchers the Diamondbacks are planning to go after in free agency. He said they will stay away from top guys like Price, Greinke, Cueto, and Zimmeran and will instead look at second tier guys like Leake and Lackey. If that is true, it is getting to the point where I do not believe a word this organization says. They have said for two years their number one priority is front line starting pitching yet they refuse to sign or trade for top pitching talent. You do not win the World Series with middle of the pack of pitchers. It just does not happen.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the hire but why would he leave the Angels?

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the sign of a serious contender when you proclaim you are staying away from the best players in the game!! Joke organization.

Basically, we're going to focus on the second tier of free agents and hope we get first tier results. The reality is they will end up with mostly third tier or lower players and nobody will care.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with the signing. He is an experience PC. The last 2 PC were first time PC.

As for signing or not signing big money pitchers, I see it both ways. We need a big time front line SP. But the cost for some of these guys are ridiculous. To add a guy at $25-30 mil a season for 5-7 years could kill this franchise during the back half of that contract.

Personally, I think they try to trade for some cost controlled high-end #2 guys. Or they try to sign Kenta Maeda from the KBO. Another option, or someone they could pair with Maeda, is Mariner FA, Hisashi Iwakuma.

Also remember, our front office is like snake oil salesmen. I wouldn't believe anything TLR & Stewart said at this point in the offseason.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a ton of good SP options in the FA agent market this year. Stewart and Co should be fired if they don't make a splash. Potential and obvious upgrades all over the place, whether elite Aces or second tier starters.

Chen, Cueto, Colon (even at 44), Dickey, Fister, Gallardo, Garcia, Grienke, Gee, Guthrie, Iwakuma, Kazmir, Lackey, Latos, Leake, Lincecum, Pelfrey, Price, Samardzjia, Young, Zimmerman. We should expect 2-3 from this group of this organization is remotely serious.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most disappointing aspect regarding the team's reluctance to pursue a top tier starter is that I believe they realistically could sign any of the guys available. The reason why is because of the team's sales pitch. When Jerry Colangelo signed Randy Johnson, it was Colangelo's vision and everything he offered that sold Johnson on the team.

Fast forward to today. If the Diamondbacks secured a meeting with say Greinke and walked into the meeting with a contingent of Randy Johnson, Luis Gonzalez, Tony La Russa, Dave Stewart, and Ken Kendrick, I guarantee Greinke (or whoever they meet with) would be impressed. How could you not be. You have legends asking you to join their organization.

So the real problem is not whether you can sign a guy, it is that Kendrick supposedly refuses to spend big money on one player. My question is why. Which would rather have. A top five pitcher in baseball that can anchor your rotation for years or spend that money on a bunch of second or third tier players. The answer to me is obvious. Get the top five starting pitcher. I would go for Greinke and offer him a five year deal. No more than five years though. I am not a fan of contracts longer than five years.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you make a good point. Grienke can be signed, he just won't be. They aren't even trying. I just included him in my long list because he's available and would be an obvious upgrade to the rotation.