• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Miami Dolphins @ New York Jets Game Thread Week 12

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, given the contract of some of the guys who have under-performed, they are likely to get rid of some guys to start over -- our TE, Cameron is the first that comes to mind. He was banged up with injuries to start - once he was healthy, our OL and entire offense as a whole was already struggling - so, as usual, the Dolphins put their very decent pass-catching in a tough position by asking them to primarily do blocking - and their pass catching talent go to waste. I always say the Dolphins have to be methodical with their offense - run the ball - go short and intermediate and get your TEs involved then open it up - that is , in fact, the purpose of the west coast offensive scheme the dolphins run.

We need depth at RB behind Ajayi and Miller . At WR we only have Matthews, Landry, Stills and Parker with bright futures.

Defensively, the positions you mentioned before - But , I think if they were healthy it would be much better. Our corners might be the biggest point needed to address. There we are either too inexperienced, or just washed up as is the case with Grimes.

We have some bad contracts on this roster given the way things are playing out and I think that is why blowing it up might be the best route
Oline is a must that's what is killing them on so many levels and the depth guys like Fox are horrible. In the mock draft I drafted 3 linemen Fins only brought in one....they need more new blood if anything to add better depth.

Wouldn't be bad to find a stud TE you can see what guys like gronk, olsen, gates, etc..do to help an offense. Cameron can be good but he'd be better as your 2nd guy.

WR Mathews may be gone if he tests FA but at least they have 3 decent young guys especially if Parker takes the next step that is crucial hopefully we see more this year.

RB is ok needs depth.

QB I'd like to see a developmental QB taken this year just to be safe.

DB's although hopefully some of the younger guys improve. Either way a stud CB would help and allow Grimes to be #2...he'd be ok there.

LB not sure if Sheppard is the answer at MLB maybe a young guy impresses we'll see but having a Zach back there sure helps...

DE Wake may be gone as well as Vernon so this may need to be addressed if Jordan is done. Maybe get lucky with Coples he could play better at DE than LB.

If the right moves are made they can drastically improve as they aren't that far off. Cap will be a little tight so may not get much FA help...

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, while Philbin named him coach alongside Mike Sherman, I think the front office had more to do with that than Philbin himself - as some may remember, when we drafted Tannehill - Sherman was a target given his familiarity with him from college days. I get the feeling the the front office was the one forcing Coyle down the throat of Philbin - and his inability or unwillingness to fire him probably has to do with the front office as well. I say this based on the fact that it was never made known that Philbin had final say in this or anything regarding the team or staff -- obviously not much he can do without being given the power to do so.

I think this much we can agree on, the changes the Dolphins made after firing Philbin certainly haven't provided very many answers , either.

If you think I'm harsh on Campbell in favor of Philin you couldn't be more wrong - if I ever trash the guy it only goes back to all the crap that was being said about him when he was hired and all the crying that was done as to why Philbin should've and was fired - and it was this whole retarded narrative that this team needed someone that could " motivate them". As I have pointed out, he can " motivate" the team and be a rah rah guy against the bad teams and during wins - but he can't seem to keep that same demeanor otherwise. If that bs that players/ a team takes on the attitude of their HC, than that is whats causing for this team to leave people asking more questions as opposed to having more answers.

I saw a lot of laughing and smiles on our sidelines today , while losing big of course - thats a bad sign - that seems to suggest guys are simply playing for themselves and not really caring about the result as a team -- sounds like maybe Campbell has " lost the team" as people would say under Philbin -- funny it hasn't been said yet with Campbell.

Whats more disturbing such behavior is coming from our so called team best players and leaders - the only guy that ever seems rightly frustrated is Landry - Miller and Vernon sometimes look as such and Reshad - the rest of the guys just don't seem bothered by losing anymore.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats up fellas? Been awhile since I've posted, been out hunting for deer, elk and antelope. I got my elk, got by 4 point buck, and came up empty on my antelope. Anyways, clearly its time to start thinking about our next head coach and where we will be drafting. Is it me, or do we do this almost every single season???? Lol, seriously though....If I were Ross, I would go to Urban Meyer with a blank check. The guys clearly knows how to find talent, has won EVERY place hes been, and seems destined for the NFL. I've heard rumblings that Miami might be considering offering the Saints a high draft pick for Sean Payton. I'm lukewarm on this idea. Just don't know if hes worth a first rounder(which is probably be what it would take). Also, I wish Campbell all the luck. He obviously is out of his league as a head coach-at least right now. I also truly wonder if Ryan is indeed the answer at quarterback....it seems he has really regressed this year, although its pretty tough to tell because our O-line is just pathetically bad. This next offseason might be the biggest/most important for Miami possibly EVER. Ross really has to get it right RIGHT NOW. No more rolling the dice on a 'never been a head coach' coordinator. No more giving coaches/GMs 1 more shot. He needs to finally make the right hire, at least from a head coach perspective and possibly with a GM as well. Our drafts have virtually stunk for a very long time, nobody seems to have a plan regarding making this team relevant again. Today was a painful game to watch, and its very difficult for me to believe we all thought this team was going to be good coming into the season. This team appears to be missing playmakers at almost every single position possible. On a positive note-um.....lol-aw forget it. There doesn't seem to be many 'positives' regarding this team....

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oline is a must that's what is killing them on so many levels and the depth guys like Fox are horrible. In the mock draft I drafted 3 linemen Fins only brought in one....they need more new blood if anything to add better depth.

Wouldn't be bad to find a stud TE you can see what guys like gronk, olsen, gates, etc..do to help an offense. Cameron can be good but he'd be better as your 2nd guy.

WR Mathews may be gone if he tests FA but at least they have 3 decent young guys especially if Parker takes the next step that is crucial hopefully we see more this year.

RB is ok needs depth.

QB I'd like to see a developmental QB taken this year just to be safe.

DB's although hopefully some of the younger guys improve. Either way a stud CB would help and allow Grimes to be #2...he'd be ok there.

LB not sure if Sheppard is the answer at MLB maybe a young guy impresses we'll see but having a Zach back there sure helps...

DE Wake may be gone as well as Vernon so this may need to be addressed if Jordan is done. Maybe get lucky with Coples he could play better at DE than LB.

If the right moves are made they can drastically improve as they aren't that far off. Cap will be a little tight so may not get much FA help...

In the draft, teams will either hit or miss on all or some of their picks - both are certainly the case with the fins. But its an inexact science - so much of how a team drafts is dictated by what the teams in front of you did -- unless you have the top pick, in which case you have control of how it goes.

Here is an example, if at all possible, id love to go back to our draft discussions not just from this past draft but as far back as possible - the same guys we are complaining about now and trashing now is probably the same guys we were cheering for when we drafted and wanting for the team to draft. Same goes for players added through trades and FA. This is where player accountability comes in as I have mentioned many times - coaches can only do so much - at some point its up to the player to just do their job.

There is a a lot of college football yet to be played, this weekend we got conference championships, then bowl games, and then senior bowl games and all those other prospect type games to scout talent. Right now, there are good options available at the positions of need at the college level for the Fins to draft - but the depth needed at this positions to hope they are there when its our turn is the issue for the time being. That will clear up further as more of these games are played. While maybe tanking the rest of the season might be necessary for the Fins to have a chance to draft elite talent/prospects - I am not fond of tanking - I hope the rest of season goes as best as possible and we make the best out of whatever draft spot we get.

A QB is certainly necessary - someone in the mid-to-late rounds - a guy that will obviously need to continue to develop but that has the upside to be able to do it. I think the lack of competition at the QB position for Tannehill the last two seasons has actually contributed to his struggles - he simply doesn't have to worry about looking over his shoulder.

I like our young CBs - , if healthy and given a chance, hopefully they will continue to progress - but I wouldn't be mad if we got a CB with our early picks - someone we could use to immediately replace Grimes - he is done.

I feel like the biggest issue outside of injury for our LBs is simply the fact that they are playing out of their position/comfort -Misi seems better playing ILB or OLB - when he is in the middle it just seems to slow him down. LB is a crucial position on defense , if one guy is not doing his job there, the other guys alongside him just fall apart . Thats what we are seeing. We need to find LBs who can handle their assignments and trust them.

I think Coples is working his way towards at least being deserving of getting a look from the Fins next season. He did some good things today when he was out there.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why I mentioned " blowing it up" given our cap situation - simply letting guys go might be the necessary move - granted, it will be tough maneuvering along with the fact that some guys may not be willing to restructure as needed. Lets see what happens

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats up fellas? Been awhile since I've posted, been out hunting for deer, elk and antelope. I got my elk, got by 4 point buck, and came up empty on my antelope. Anyways, clearly its time to start thinking about our next head coach and where we will be drafting. Is it me, or do we do this almost every single season???? Lol, seriously though....If I were Ross, I would go to Urban Meyer with a blank check. The guys clearly knows how to find talent, has won EVERY place hes been, and seems destined for the NFL. I've heard rumblings that Miami might be considering offering the Saints a high draft pick for Sean Payton. I'm lukewarm on this idea. Just don't know if hes worth a first rounder(which is probably be what it would take). Also, I wish Campbell all the luck. He obviously is out of his league as a head coach-at least right now. I also truly wonder if Ryan is indeed the answer at quarterback....it seems he has really regressed this year, although its pretty tough to tell because our O-line is just pathetically bad. This next offseason might be the biggest/most important for Miami possibly EVER. Ross really has to get it right RIGHT NOW. No more rolling the dice on a 'never been a head coach' coordinator. No more giving coaches/GMs 1 more shot. He needs to finally make the right hire, at least from a head coach perspective and possibly with a GM as well. Our drafts have virtually stunk for a very long time, nobody seems to have a plan regarding making this team relevant again. Today was a painful game to watch, and its very difficult for me to believe we all thought this team was going to be good coming into the season. This team appears to be missing playmakers at almost every single position possible. On a positive note-um.....lol-aw forget it. There doesn't seem to be many 'positives' regarding this team....

Earlier in the game I mentioned the fact that the list of available college coaches has grown a bit today - However, much like Nick Saitan and Bobby Petrino - some of those guys simply can't handle what it takes to be an NFL coach and simply are better suited for the college level - I think Urban falls under that category. I agree with all you said about what makes him a good coach -- But I just don't think that would translate as successfully in the NFL.

As for Sean Payton, he may be let go depending on how things play out for the Saints by the end of the season. Not sure I'm fond of the idea of draft picks for a coach - at least not until other avenues have been exhausted to try to get a coach hired. This fan base would surely love a big name, relevant name for a HC -- but that seems like a short-term receive for disappointment. There is so much question marks within this team, I don't think even the most elite of coaches could turn this around as quick - thats not to say a guy like Payton is capable - I just don't think it would happen right away and that is a disaster scenario for this fan base who over-reacts every second for the littlest of things.

As for whether or not Tannehill is the answer or not - some have already decided his fate and deemed him as not the answer - to keep it simple -- But I think reasonable minds would say the jury is still out on him even at this stage of his career and the contract he was given -- there is just so many holes and question marks around him - there is so much uncertainty within the coaching staff and front office - these have all been issues since Tannehill was named full-time starter - I think it has all contributed to his progression and development not going at the pace expected or needed/wanted. From top to bottom , in and around him, we need to establish some continuity and stability before we can fairly judge him. Just my opinion on this. I know I am in the minority in this as I am in many cases -- but I couldn't care less.

He needs to finally make the right hire, at least from a head coach perspective and possibly with a GM as well.

There really is no such thing as " making the right hire" especially when it comes to HC and GM -- things often look good on paper but not so much when its time to get on the field and play the game. This is why I am skeptical about big name hires and player additions. A name may look good on paper, but you never know for sure until they go out on the field in game situation. Young or experienced, well known name or unknown name, the only thing the Fins should worry about when they hire their next HC is if he has the capability and vision necessary to turn this around.

As for the disappointment of this season given the roster we thought we had put together - This is where I feel that holding the players accountable no matter who the HC is becomes the most necessary thing to do. It seems like they just wanted to depend on their talent and namesake to carry them through the season - when adversity struck rather than having the ability and willingness to make the necessary adjustments from within -they just all seem to quit and looked to make excuses and point fingers.

I think it is somewhat similar to what went wrong the year we fell apart due to Ricky Williams being suddenly retiring and suspended for drug abuse. That team was rather talented but it seemed that because he was viewed as the best player out of that group, once he was gone - our chances of relevancy that season were gone too. So guys simply checked out in the face of adversity. I think thats what happened this season. Its unfortunate but its what happens when you've got too many big names on a team.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, while our chances for the playoffs are virtually dead - technically, and most importantly, mathematically -- we still have a chance - but we are basically fighting for the chance at the 6-th seed. The last couple losses ruined any chances to reach the 5th seed. We would have to win-out in order for that to happen - and that just doesn't seem like is going to happen.

5 games remain. The games against the Ravens and Chargers seem like decent chances for us to win - the Colts could be beat but it all depends on how they did the week prior that would determine which Colts team might show up to play the Fins.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no words. none.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no words. none.
This to me is the biggest problem. A lot of problems could be solved with balance...this is why I'm not jumping off the bridge with this group of players. A few tweaks and a coach that will mix up the plays will go a long way. heck the Texans are in right now and the Fins blew them out...

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense though, as I had been saying - our lack of blocking and injuries to the offensive line have contributed to the disaster that is the running game and the lack of faith the coaches have in it

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense though, as I had been saying - our lack of blocking and injuries to the offensive line have contributed to the disaster that is the running game and the lack of faith the coaches have in it
Agreed that they couldn't overcome the injuries the oline is the weakest part of the team but that's bad management and some of that falls on Philbin for not pushing for more olinemen in the draft. He's known this for years and was hear longer than Hickey.

I don't understand the logic when you have a weak line you should be running a little more not less to protect them and your QB. That's why Lazor failed....to run 9 times is unbelievable under the circumstances. I hate to say that I've been right but....