• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayo's M's Prospect Article

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically follow the prospects for the Mariners fairly closely throughout the season. There are a few guys that I am looking forward to seeing this season more than the others... Alex Jackson, DJ Peterson, Gabriel Guerrero, Austin Wilson and Tyler O'Neill. Alex Jackson because he is considered our top prospect. DJ Peterson because some would say he is our top prospect and I think he is closer to the majors than most others so this season could be big for him. Guerrero and Wilson for the same reasons, they both look like corner outfielders that can potential hit for big time power. O'Neill also for the same reasons as Guerrero and Wilson but he is interesting to me because he is so young and I think has a ton of room for improvements.

I will also watch Ketel Marte closely mostly because I want to see if he can handle playing SS, I know he is viewed as a good defender but he has made some errors in ST which could just be a flukey errors at the beginning of spring.

Ji-Man Choi is an interesting player that I think has a solid bat. His injury is a shame, this was a big year for him to make an impression.

Ryan Yarbrough is the pitcher I want to see the most in the low minors, probably won't get a chance.

Kivlehan is a well rounded baseball player that can play multiple positions and perform well at the plate. I hope he gets a lot of opportunities at AAA.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kivlehan is definitely an exciting player to keep our eyes' on... I've said it multiple times in here, DJ Peterson will be up sooner than not... Like you said, he's our best prospect at the moment... G

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically follow the prospects for the Mariners fairly closely throughout the season. There are a few guys that I am looking forward to seeing this season more than the others... Alex Jackson, DJ Peterson, Gabriel Guerrero, Austin Wilson and Tyler O'Neill. Alex Jackson because he is considered our top prospect. DJ Peterson because some would say he is our top prospect and I think he is closer to the majors than most others so this season could be big for him. Guerrero and Wilson for the same reasons, they both look like corner outfielders that can potential hit for big time power. O'Neill also for the same reasons as Guerrero and Wilson but he is interesting to me because he is so young and I think has a ton of room for improvements.

I will also watch Ketel Marte closely mostly because I want to see if he can handle playing SS, I know he is viewed as a good defender but he has made some errors in ST which could just be a flukey errors at the beginning of spring.

Ji-Man Choi is an interesting player that I think has a solid bat. His injury is a shame, this was a big year for him to make an impression.

Ryan Yarbrough is the pitcher I want to see the most in the low minors, probably won't get a chance.

Kivlehan is a well rounded baseball player that can play multiple positions and perform well at the plate. I hope he gets a lot of opportunities at AAA.

I hope you get the chance to see the guys you listed. Once they leave AZ, I am out of the loop on them unless they are up with the M's.

Not real familiar with Yarbrough. Heard the name, but little else.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you get the chance to see the guys you listed. Once they leave AZ, I am out of the loop on them unless they are up with the M's.

Not real familiar with Yarbrough. Heard the name, but little else.

I usually go to all the Rainiers games in Vegas or at least as many as I can go to. I am often in that awful place called Reno during the summers and sometimes can make it to a game up there if the Rainiers are in town. I hate to say it but the Reno Aces stadium is actually pretty nice, the 51's play in an absolute shit hole and day games are hotter than the surface of the sun (AZ, I am sure you know what that is like since you are also in a sun drenched desert).

I actually had to cancel my initial trip to Spring Training with my dad because he has some health issues that keep popping up. So I am going with some college buddies that are Padre fans this weekend.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kivlehan is definitely an exciting player to keep our eyes' on... I've said it multiple times in here, DJ Peterson will be up sooner than not... Like you said, he's our best prospect at the moment... G

I totally agree with you about Kivlehan. Something I am worried about with him is the M's letting him rot in AAA then giving up on him at the major league level too quickly. A player that I want to compare him to is Stefen Romero partly because I think some have given up on Romero as an option, both have been very good in the minors at the plate, both have played multiple positions in the minors and both have similar builds. I really like both players and I don't think its fair to give up on Romero just yet either because I still think he can hit major league pitching. This is part of the reason I hate the Weeks signing because I think the Kivlehan's and Romero's of the world can fill that position and do it while still giving the Mariner organization more flexibility with the roster adjustments that happen during a season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually go to all the Rainiers games in Vegas or at least as many as I can go to. I am often in that awful place called Reno during the summers and sometimes can make it to a game up there if the Rainiers are in town. I hate to say it but the Reno Aces stadium is actually pretty nice, the 51's play in an absolute shit hole and day games are hotter than the surface of the sun (AZ, I am sure you know what that is like since you are also in a sun drenched desert).

I actually had to cancel my initial trip to Spring Training with my dad because he has some health issues that keep popping up. So I am going with some college buddies that are Padre fans this weekend.

I do understand the heat thing. 119 a couple years back was too much for me.

I remember you saying you catch games in your area. That would be cool. I think Tuscon is my closest games which is 2 hours from me. Not up for that trip these days. I will just stay home and watch for your comments on the games instead.

Sorry to hear about your dad's health issues. I am sure that would have been fun for the both of you. At least you still get to make it. I will be at the Cubs/M's game on Saturday then taking the family visitors to the airport on Sunday ending my 6 games in 7 days tour. It does tire you out. Yesterdays game was great seats but right in the sun for 7 innings of it and it was around 88. Sounds low for here, but high compared to the 70's winter highs.