• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Max Scherzer and the Hall of Fame

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does it add value to the results? Why is 7 IP/2 ER more valuable coming from a lefty than a righty?
I guess it depends on your definition of value. if i had my choice of 2 dominant starters...lefty or righty...im going lefty, because to me thats more valuable based on matchups.

are you trying to make this is a silly statistical thing? like "his start has more value"? because im not saying that. im saying lefties are more valuable in general. its why they say if your kids a lefty, teach them to pitch.

they have more value.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on your definition of value. if i had my choice of 2 dominant starters...lefty or righty...im going lefty, because to me thats more valuable based on matchups.

are you trying to make this is a silly statistical thing? like "his start has more value"? because im not saying that. im saying lefties are more valuable in general. its why they say if your kids a lefty, teach them to pitch.

they have more value.
Silly statistical thing? I don't even know what that means.

And we aren't looking at his career beforehand, in which case I would agree, going into his career you would put higher value on a lefty than a righty. But when we look at his career after the fact, the results are not somehow more valuable because they came from a lefty as opposed to a righty.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I fail to see how lefty vs righty really matters outside of trivia purposes.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they have more value.

Is this really a saying?? i thought it was lefty hitters have the bigger advantage... in fact wouldn't lefty pitchers have the disadvantage since most lineups are mostly righty??

Lefty pitchers dominate lefty hitters
Lefty batters dominate Righty pitchers

The reason Lefty pitchers are such a need is because lefty batters became the elite since they have the advantage against Righty pitchers, Lefty Pitchers force you to be more honest with your roster...

the reason young lefties are told to become pitchers is because there are so little of them, their road to the majors is easier... Not because they have the advantage..

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this really a saying?? i thought it was lefty hitters have the bigger advantage... in fact wouldn't lefty pitchers have the disadvantage since most lineups are mostly righty??

Lefty pitchers dominate lefty hitters
Lefty batters dominate Righty pitchers

The reason Lefty pitchers are such a need is because lefty batters became the elite since they have the advantage against Righty pitchers, Lefty Pitchers force you to be more honest with your roster...

the reason young lefties are told to become pitchers is because there are so little of them, their road to the majors is easier... Not because they have the advantage..
i said "depending on the lineup"...but theres a reason why lefties are valued so much. as you said, scarcity.

i never said anything about any advantages.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said "depending on the lineup"...but theres a reason why lefties are valued so much. as you said, scarcity.

i never said anything about any advantages.

Well, it has always been known that lefties in general are much more valuable than a righty in baseball... Baseball is a lefty sport that is played by mostly righties...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer in 2018 (with NL ranks):

15-5 record (1st in wins)
2.19 ERA (2nd)
169 innings (1st)
227 K's (1st)
0.88 WHIP (1st)
5.68 K/BB (1st)
22 quality starts (1st)
.180 BAA (1st)
7.1 WAR (T-1st)

Solid chance to win his 4th Cy, particiularly if the ERA gap closes between him an DeGrom.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer in 2018 (with NL ranks):

15-5 record (1st in wins)
2.19 ERA (2nd)
169 innings (1st)
227 K's (1st)
0.88 WHIP (1st)
5.68 K/BB (1st)
22 quality starts (1st)
.180 BAA (1st)
7.1 WAR (T-1st)

Solid chance to win his 4th Cy, particiularly if the ERA gap closes between him an DeGrom.
If he wins 4 CY, it would be hard to keep him out.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jigga wha?

Seven straight seasons averaging nearly 230 IP/yr with a 140 ERA+.

That is badass.

Guess I should have clarified, it wasn't that dominant in terms of run prevention (he was only top 3 in ERA+ once). But he was an absolute workhorse in his era and that puts him in for me. Seventeen seasons with 27+ starts is pretty amazing in this era.

Anyway, add another fantastic season to Scherzer's resume. I think he's pretty close.