• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mass Effect Andromeda

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I finished the game Sunday. The scathing reviews were WAAAAY overboard. Really solid title. Yes, buggy, most of those had been worked out by the time I bought (2 - 3 weeks into run), and some bugs still are annoying. My Ryder was heavy into the tech tree, and the damn mobile bot/missile platform you can build would sometimes stick around through cutscenes and events after missions, INCLUDING spluttering its way through the entire 20 minute denoument.

Combat was a blast, crafting was overly complicated, but necessary for the combat.

The lack of personality in the crew members was the biggest weakness compared with 1 - 3.

Thing that made me laugh out loud at myself?

Playing the male Ryder, I decided to 'hit' on the science officer that sits next to the bridge controls. After hours of interacting - zilch. I finally googled it. Heh. If I ever wonder why I've been divorced twice? I can't even pick 'em in video games. Suvi was for the ladies only.

Rejected. :)

Anyway, DEFINITELY worth it to pick up in the bargain bin now that it's been out a while. I probably got 60 - 80 hours into it. Level 50 when I finished.
I think everyone was caught off guard by the romance 'options' so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

I'll definitely pick this up when it gets cheap.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I finished the game Sunday. The scathing reviews were WAAAAY overboard. Really solid title. Yes, buggy, most of those had been worked out by the time I bought (2 - 3 weeks into run), and some bugs still are annoying. My Ryder was heavy into the tech tree, and the damn mobile bot/missile platform you can build would sometimes stick around through cutscenes and events after missions, INCLUDING spluttering its way through the entire 20 minute denoument.

Combat was a blast, crafting was overly complicated, but necessary for the combat.

The lack of personality in the crew members was the biggest weakness compared with 1 - 3.

Thing that made me laugh out loud at myself?

Playing the male Ryder, I decided to 'hit' on the science officer that sits next to the bridge controls. After hours of interacting - zilch. I finally googled it. Heh. If I ever wonder why I've been divorced twice? I can't even pick 'em in video games. Suvi was for the ladies only.

Rejected. :)

Anyway, DEFINITELY worth it to pick up in the bargain bin now that it's been out a while. I probably got 60 - 80 hours into it. Level 50 when I finished.

I tried for her and Dr. Margery Tyrel right off the bat. Seems unfair that they are not allowed but you can still stick your dick in the bitch with the exoskeleton if you're so inclined.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still only roughly halfway through. I'll tell you what is annoying is I keep stumbling across missions before they get activated. The way I play, I like to explore everything. So naturally I'll stumble across a mission, clear out the bad guys, then some time later a dialogue option will pop up addressing that mission. Sometimes it makes me do it over, some times it doesn't. I don't know if its a bug or what but its annoying. Still a solid game though

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still only roughly halfway through. I'll tell you what is annoying is I keep stumbling across missions before they get activated. The way I play, I like to explore everything. So naturally I'll stumble across a mission, clear out the bad guys, then some time later a dialogue option will pop up addressing that mission. Sometimes it makes me do it over, some times it doesn't. I don't know if its a bug or what but its annoying. Still a solid game though

If it's central to the storyline, you have to clear it again (Kett base etc) If it's not, you don't. But where you may clear out the bad guys, the object they were guarding, is still there - you just did all the heavy lifting already.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today on Kotaku that this might be the last Mass Effect game. Bioware scaled down the studio that made the game, putting any sequel on the shelf for now. Doesn't sound like there will be any DLC either. If the franchise isn't done permanently, it sounds like it'll be a long time before there's ever a sequel. :(

http://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-1795100285

It wouldn't really surprise me if it's the last ME game either. The backing for Mass Effect just doesn't seem to be there anymore from Bioware or EA, most of the original creators have moved on and Bioware seems to be pretty gung ho with their new IP whatever that turns out to be. It's too bad because Andromeda could have been an amazing game, instead it's just meh (IMO of course).

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't really surprise me if it's the last ME game either. The backing for Mass Effect just doesn't seem to be there anymore from Bioware or EA, most of the original creators have moved on and Bioware seems to be pretty gung ho with their new IP whatever that turns out to be. It's too bad because Andromeda could have been an amazing game, instead it's just meh (IMO of course).
Great, I have it and havent played yet (waiting for a few patches). I might as well throw it in the garbage.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. It's a flawed still good game. Send it to me if you want though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I finished the game Sunday. The scathing reviews were WAAAAY overboard.
From what I've read, the creator (or one of the creators) is a racist, and his Twitter account has brought terrible negative publicity to the game, unfortunately. Heard its one of the coolest games out there.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He no longer works with the company. Never heard of it until I read it here.

Consider me a wee bit skeptical that one asshole out of hundreds of employees working on a game had any effect on the game's popularity.

People are pissed about the banter/characters and the many and varied bugs.

EA strikes again.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Here's a good piece detailing the clusterfuck of a situation this game had. After reading all of that, I gotta say they did a pretty good job putting out an enjoyable game all things considered. It's not perfect, it does have a few bugs and the animations could be better, but its not near as bad as the avalanche of hate it got when it was first released. ME2 and ME3 are better but I'd put Andromeda on par with ME1. But its a total bummer that we won't be getting a sequal (at least not for years). If they could take the framework of Andromeda and expand on that, we could have gotten a really special game.

Also, I don't know much about video game mechanics but reading that piece, it sounds like a really fucking stupid idea to use the Frostbite engine for this game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Here's a good piece detailing the clusterfuck of a situation this game had. After reading all of that, I gotta say they did a pretty good job putting out an enjoyable game all things considered. It's not perfect, it does have a few bugs and the animations could be better, but its not near as bad as the avalanche of hate it got when it was first released. ME2 and ME3 are better but I'd put Andromeda on par with ME1. But its a total bummer that we won't be getting a sequal (at least not for years). If they could take the framework of Andromeda and expand on that, we could have gotten a really special game.

Also, I don't know much about video game mechanics but reading that piece, it sounds like a really fucking stupid idea to use the Frostbite engine for this game.
The Frostbite engine was definitely their biggest mistake but I'd say their secondary mistake is simply not giving people what they wanted. ME1 is praised for its story. ME2 nailed the characters and improved the combat. ME3 added a fun multiplayer mode. If all they brought was a solid story with great characters, improved combat and the multiplayer mode then they had a hit.

We didn't need to explore the galaxy on day1. Just give us something amazing at the core and then expand the galaxy with dlc. To me that seems obvious but I really think these guys just got too ambitious with their own ideas. I don't even know why they put romance options in the game if the end result is what was in the base game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally getting around to this. Well worth the $10

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally getting around to this. Well worth the $10

I'm still pissed they couldn't have put out one fucking DLC. Management fucked that franchise over big time

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still pissed they couldn't have put out one fucking DLC. Management fucked that franchise over big time
Yeah EA pulled the plug. If Anthem is a bust next year, I think they might fold the entire Bioware division.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah EA pulled the plug. If Anthem is a bust next year, I think they might fold the entire Bioware division.
Everything about Anthem seems fishy to me.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if it doesn't even come out until next gen of systems. Every 'too good to be true' alarm is going off in my head which makes me think its probably going to bust and/or get pushed waaay back.