• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners vs Astros June 5-6

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did we trade for Alex Colome?

... just sayin... I don't understand why we don't pitch him much...He's a better option than Nicasio, no?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BLOWPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow do some guys go off the handle with a loss. It's baseball, 1 run leads collapse nightly. M's are 18-9 in 1 run games. Not really a pace that would keep through an entire season. I and others have said that games like this tend to even out over the course of the season. Much like Sunday's game, the Rays probably deserved a better fate in that one. anyone thinking more than a split was the goal for this series is a fucking liar. on to Tampa

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I actually agree with baseball nerds (sabermetrics) is the bullpen shouldn't have roles, though I do believe you need to have a defined closer. Just because it is the 7th doesn't mean Nicassio has to pitch it, didn't watch the game but sabermetrics say use Colome over Altavilla

I think that's the one issue I had. Pazos got the last out in the 6th and there was a lefty leading off the 7th. Theres zero reason not to just leave Pazos in to get that guy or force the Astros to use a PH. Regardless I don't dislike Nicasio as much as most in here. The contract is what it is but I still think he's an effective reliever that's had some shit luck. Springer, Bregman and Altuve all hit well located pitches. Just looking at some numbers, its pretty ridiculous to see a pitcher with an ERA over 5 and BABIP at .400 while sporting a FIP around 2.5. That pretty much screams shit luck.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the one issue I had. Pazos got the last out in the 6th and there was a lefty leading off the 7th. Theres zero reason not to just leave Pazos in to get that guy or force the Astros to use a PH. Regardless I don't dislike Nicasio as much as most in here. The contract is what it is but I still think he's an effective reliever that's had some shit luck. Springer, Bregman and Altuve all hit well located pitches. Just looking at some numbers, its pretty ridiculous to see a pitcher with an ERA over 5 and BABIP at .400 while sporting a FIP around 2.5. That pretty much screams shit luck.
oh dare you bring advanced stats to defend a reliever that is obvious whipping boy of the board lately...:trash:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh dare you bring advanced stats to defend a reliever that is obvious whipping boy of the board lately...:trash:

He no doubt had a 2-3 week stretch where he wasn't good. But his last handful of outings had been pretty good. I am just not gonna knock him for a few good hitters hitting well located pitches that just happened to find holes.

You want to get frustrated at something. How about Cruz striking out to end the game when none of the 6 pitches he saw were close to strikes.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He no doubt had a 2-3 week stretch where he wasn't good. But his last handful of outings had been pretty good. I am just not gonna knock him for a few good hitters hitting well located pitches that just happened to find holes.

You want to get frustrated at something. How about Cruz striking out to end the game when none of the 6 pitches he saw were close to strikes.
just a heads up, I was agreeing with you. 3 of those hits were well located off the plate and just nothing you can do about.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just a heads up, I was agreeing with you. 3 of those hits were well located off the plate and just nothing you can do about.
No worries, I think I picked up on that based on your first comment.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's kind of where I was going. That is a situation sabermetrics says you put Diaz in, but since Colome is the set up guy he should have been in over Nicassio. I know this is all hindsight so it's easy for us to say but it just seems backwards throwing your most struggling releiver against their best.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of where I was going. That is a situation sabermetrics says you put Diaz in, but since Colome is the set up guy he should have been in over Nicassio. I know this is all hindsight so it's easy for us to say but it just seems backwards throwing your most struggling releiver against their best.
Right. And I think the frustrating part is that Servais insists that outside of Diaz, he will mix and match and rather then use defined inning roles. That clearly doesn't seem to be the case.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. And I think the frustrating part is that Servais insists that outside of Diaz, he will mix and match and rather then use defined inning roles. That clearly doesn't seem to be the case.

I hope Servais doesn’t impede success, they have a decent record so far under his leadership, but yesterday’s game was HUGE facing the world champs with a chance to go up 3 games in the division, you just gotta roll with your best guys in that situation, period ...

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get his thinking last night. 7th Nicasio, 8th Colome, 9th Diaz. Hindsight is always 20/20 and maybe things go differently if Pazos pitches to Kemp to start the 7th. But it is what it is at this point.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Servais doesn’t impede success, they have a decent record so far under his leadership, but yesterday’s game was HUGE facing the world champs with a chance to go up 3 games in the division, you just gotta roll with your best guys in that situation, period ...
I totally agree.

Keep in mind Servais is still considered a rookie manager and is in the process of "on the job training" and this is his first mgr job. Think back to last year and how disastrous he handled the pen. At least he has shown some growth in using the pen. He's slowly learning how to manage the pitching staff so you've got to give him credit for that anyway.
(I can't believe I'm actually saying something positive about Servais :pound:)

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further context on the hits Nicasio gave up
upload_2018-6-7_10-23-53.png

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow do some guys go off the handle with a loss. It's baseball, 1 run leads collapse nightly. M's are 18-9 in 1 run games. Not really a pace that would keep through an entire season. I and others have said that games like this tend to even out over the course of the season. Much like Sunday's game, the Rays probably deserved a better fate in that one. anyone thinking more than a split was the goal for this series is a fucking liar. on to Tampa

I am sorry. Let me just add...Fuck You! I don't need your smart ass mouth telling me how to feel after anything. You can take your happy go lucky attitude and shove it up your ass. Remember last year we lost out by 2 games??? This loss was a two game turn in the standings. Typical Mariners bandwagoner fan. Stay off my comments if you do't like what I have to stay and I will keep ignoring your individual posts like I have been.

And you can take Seahawk3 and Tapey with you.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sorry. Let me just add...Fuck You! I don't need your smart ass mouth telling me how to feel after anything. You can take your happy go lucky attitude and shove it up your ass. Remember last year we lost out by 2 games??? This loss was a two game turn in the standings. Typical Mariners bandwagoner fan. Stay off my comments if you do't like what I have to stay and I will keep ignoring your individual posts like I have been.

man...anger issues or just butt-hurt? I see you have a strong grasp of insults and curses. Congrats! :suds:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man...anger issues or just butt-hurt? I see you have a strong grasp of insults and curses. Congrats! :suds:
TBH, anyone telling others how to 'fan' always leads to this.

Some are eternal optimists. Some are showing 40 years of frustration. No one can, or should tell others how to be a fan.

I mean you do get that the M's are the worst team of any US pro sports club in terms of longest stretch without a playoff appearance right? And there have been so many seasons of late where there was hope and streaks that felt like maybe, just maybe it was ok to get back on the wagon again... only to Mariner once more.

The angst, apathy, ambivalence, etc by ANY long term fan should be understood as well deserved. Add in prior ownership groups that weren't interested in putting a winner out and did everything possible to block the return of basketball as well as other PR nightmares and how could we not understand negativity?

For many they have burned their bridges toward us over and over to the point where it cannot be rebuilt without some kind of playoff appearance again because we have been suckered into false hope one too many times.

Accept this is part of the fanbase and let us stew in whatever way we wish. I sure won't shit on your parade for being happy and optimistic. Don't shit on ours.

Signed,
Every old time pissed off life long suffering fan of the worst franchise historically in pro baseball.

Oh, and have a nice weekend. :wave:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good on you WizardHawk :yes:

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whatd i do

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always consider myself a happy/pissed off fan.