• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners Vs. Angels; June 11th - 13th

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll post this here because I really don't want to start a shit storm, but...

Part of the reason I'm just not jumping on anything with a team that is 20 games over .500 right now is they have only played a grand total of 13 games against other teams above .500.

They have played 7 against the tribe and won 5 of them. Cleveland is currently 5 games above .500
They have played 6 against the stros and only won 2.

That's it.

Look, this is a good team with lots to be happy about and why not enjoy the winning while it's lasting? Good teams should feast on bad teams. Great teams at least hold their own against other great teams. We have yet to determine if this team can rise to that point. The defensive blunders, relatively shallow scoring against some bad pitching staffs, continued weird/bad managing decisions, and carrying a couple of clunkers with bats are all bound to catch up with them sooner rather than later.
To be fair though, there are only 5 teams in the AL above .500 and the M's are one of them so it's really not possible to face a ton of teams above .500. And they have only played one NL team and the Giants aren't good. Still split that 2 game set as it was.

10 teams below .500. There are 4 teams just destroying the league. It's awesome the M's are one of those. At least for now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of the reason I'm just not jumping on anything with a team that is 20 games over .500 right now is they have only played a grand total of 13 games against other teams above .500.

They have played 7 against the tribe and won 5 of them. Cleveland is currently 5 games above .500

That's it.

Look, this is a good team with lots to be happy about and why not enjoy the winning while it's lasting? Good teams should feast on bad teams. Great teams at least hold their own against other great teams. We have yet to determine if this team can rise to that point. The defensive blunders, relatively shallow scoring against some bad pitching staffs, continued weird/bad managing decisions, and carrying a couple of clunkers with bats are all bound to catch up with them sooner rather than later.

The reason I'm not is 41 years of history. Prove it to me then I am on board. Until then I will root for them, but will not believe anything until late August.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on guys, we have been butt raped by the organization several times and Osama Bin Laden but we can let our guard down and enjoy the ride. There are 5 teams that are even remotely playoff contenders (not counting the AL central) it's the Red Sox, Spankees, the good guys, Angels and Athletics. The Angels roster was already hurting before they showed up and are in shambles after leaving Seattle for at least a month. If they go .500 from now on they coast into the play in game.

I despise Jerry as much as anyone, but even I am enjoying this even though I think we are screwed as fans if he gets an extension.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, it seems quite a few people are under the belief that you can't enjoy the ride unless you are 'all in'. Either you blindly feel nothing but joy, or there is no joy at all.

You can both enjoy the games, the winning, and all of those awesome moments, and yet still be mindful of history.

Sure, right NOW it appears they have a massive lead on at least that second WC slot. Remember the Angles being up 11 games at the beginning of August in '95? How many times have we seen hot teams take a nose dive? How many of those have been at the hands of this organization?

116 wins got you what in '01? First round knocked out.

Enjoy the moment. This win was awesome. There are several players doing some special things. Gonzo has been a fantastic surprise. Paxton looks like the guy we were promised years ago. It's all good.

But.. It doesn't mean anything more than what it is today until they do it into the post season. That's just how it is for a great many of us. And that should be still ok. There's plenty of room under the tent for all kinds of fans.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair though, there are only 5 teams in the AL above .500 and the M's are one of them so it's really not possible to face a ton of teams above .500. And they have only played one NL team and the Giants aren't good. Still split that 2 game set as it was.

10 teams below .500. There are 4 teams just destroying the league. It's awesome the M's are one of those. At least for now.

It is awesome, but it's also unfortunate that those 4 teams play in 2 divisions. The Mariners could finish the season with the 4th best record in MLB and be the road team in the wild card game. In that case your path to the World Series is vs 3rd best, then best, then (most likely) second best. That is insane.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I'm not is 41 years of history. Prove it to me then I am on board. Until then I will root for them, but will not believe anything until late August.
Trying not to over-analyze this team too much but I’ll probably do it anyway.

Up and down the lineup, this is actually a very good team and it’s more likely than not sustainable throughout the season. Guys like Gordon, Segura, Cruz, Seager, Haniger are legit hitters. Healy is coming into his own as a 1B they desperately need since Olerud!

The key difference last year vs this year are the pitching, especially the bullpen. We knew last year that bullpen would be the key to them competing but all the early injuries derailed them. They’re more healthy this year but to me is still very suspect because as the bullpen goes, this team will goes. Diaz’s usage is a bit of a concern for me.

As for the starters, we need another starter and possibly move Felix to the bp to solidify it. In one of the other thread, I’m looking at possibly a Hamels or Happ trade, maybe even Tyson Ross.

Leake and Gonzo has been solid so far but I’m not buying into them yet. Maybe around August and they are still pitching well, I’m on board.

Overall, despite 20 games over... i think it’s fair to still be cautiously optimistic but we will get a better picture in August. They will hit a wall or 2 or 3 (all teams do) but they’ve build enough cushion where I believe this team will get one of the 2 WC spots.

In the meantime it’s great to see them do well.

Last edited:

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely enjoying the ride. But, kinda waiting for the wheels to come off, somewhat. I think the playoffs look more than a possibility. I just wonder if they can contend with the Astros all year. The numbers say no way, but this team just keeps manufacturing wins. Should be an exciting summer.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries are a story of every season. We aren't even close to half way done yet. We don't know who, but someone big will miss major game spells. And they don't have much depth. This is why Cano will for sure be needed in the latter stages of the regular season. If Paxton has his usual injury spell this team takes a nose dive. Just my opinion, but I'm waiting for it as that stuff seems to happen every single year.

For every reason someone can give why this team can/should sustain this game play, I can easily still plant the seed of doubt.

41 years of futility have made that exercise quite easy.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being 2-4 against the only great team they have faced this year leaves lots of room for skepticism.

I'm not talking about winning the division. I think everyone knows Houston is probably taking it by 10 or more games.

They look like a wild card team, but what happens in that first series? They won't be facing these bad teams then.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this, but this season has a lot of resemblance to 2001. 2001 wasn't a clean season. It had some luck involved, some great finishes, and some things you just couldn't explain. And as you may recall, the pitching wasn't stacked then either but pitched over their heads and there was offense coming from some surprising people. Gordon paying the Ichiro role, Segura playing the Boone role, and so on. Not a bad season t emulate.

Yea for sure. I think a couple of days ago they were on pace to have a +54 run differential. An AL team has made the playoffs every year since 2012 with a +54 run differential or worse so there seems to be that team every year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's it.
The good news I guess is the AL doesn't have a lot of strong teams. Its pretty much New York, Boston and Houston. We obviously find out a lot in the next 10 games but even if they go 4-6, they still built up a big enough cushion where they will a few games ahead of the Angels even if that does happen. But its a fair take.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd dance with you comparing the 95 Angels if Mike Trout were out like Junior was but he isn't. The Angels will get Simmons back but the Mariners will get their star back if nothing to never allow a situation where they can't pinch hit for someone.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, it seems quite a few people are under the belief that you can't enjoy the ride unless you are 'all in'. Either you blindly feel nothing but joy, or there is no joy at all.

You can both enjoy the games, the winning, and all of those awesome moments, and yet still be mindful of history.

Sure, right NOW it appears they have a massive lead on at least that second WC slot. Remember the Angles being up 11 games at the beginning of August in '95? How many times have we seen hot teams take a nose dive? How many of those have been at the hands of this organization?

116 wins got you what in '01? First round knocked out.

Enjoy the moment. This win was awesome. There are several players doing some special things. Gonzo has been a fantastic surprise. Paxton looks like the guy we were promised years ago. It's all good.

But.. It doesn't mean anything more than what it is today until they do it into the post season. That's just how it is for a great many of us. And that should be still ok. There's plenty of room under the tent for all kinds of fans.
This is an awesome write up, just two things I wanted to add
first bold: fuck the Angels
second bold: I would be ecstatic with a divisional round appearance

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first bold: fuck the Angels
Easily the most dislikable team for me right now in all sports. Terrible owner, overrated manager, don't know much about the GM but he hasn't shown much so far. They just had the greatest player in our era fall into their laps. And so far they've managed one playoff appearance and zero playoff wins. I really hope Trout leaves that franchise after 2020.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily the most dislikable team for me right now in all sports. Terrible owner, overrated manager, don't know much about the GM but he hasn't shown much so far. They just had the greatest player in our era fall into their laps. And so far they've managed one playoff appearance and zero playoff wins. I really hope Trout leaves that franchise after 2020.

Phillies will make a play for the home town kid and probably get him.