• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners @ Twins 4/5, 4/7, 4/8

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one thing I don't mind about the new analytic nerds who have never played a sport in their life. They accept strikeouts are a part of baseball. I don't agree with them that a strikeout is better than a sac bunt or hitting behind a runner but strikeouts, to me, aren't a big concern if the guy is a run producer.

I agree, but my question is always; What constitutes a run producer? 70 RBI's? 80? 90? 100? It is a question I ask myself all the time when trying to decide if the K's are acceptable to certain hitters and not others.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I anticipate that Vogelbach will be a high K high BB type player.

He takes a lot of pitches and really works the count.

which is part of a dilemma..when gamel,and cruz comes back....ichi.,.romine, and vogey off the bench..all LH hitters++ you have to have marjama(rh hitt)
and like some other posters i would not really want to send hiredia(rh hitt) down
8 starters(line up) 5 starting pitchers..8bull pen guys=21..which leaves 4 bench spots
marjama..................catcher........RH
romine or motter......If/of...........LH/rh
ichi or heredia.........of...........LH/rh
vogey.....................1b/dh.....LHH

where we maybe ok with send motter down..sending motter and heredia down??......does it make them better??
not IMO
send vogey down when cruz comes back is prob..and motter...not that they deserve it..its just numbers

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is part of a dilemma..when gamel,and cruz comes back....ichi.,.romine, and vogey off the bench..all LH hitters++ you have to have marjama(rh hitt)
and like some other posters i would not really want to send hiredia(rh hitt) down
8 starters(line up) 5 starting pitchers..8bull pen guys=21..which leaves 4 bench spots
marjama..................catcher........RH
romine or motter......If/of...........LH/rh
ichi or heredia.........of...........LH/rh
vogey.....................1b/dh.....LHH

where we maybe ok with send motter down..sending motter and heredia down??......does it make them better??
not IMO
send vogey down when cruz comes back is prob..and motter...not that they deserve it..its just numbers

With Healy going down, the decision may be postponed a few weeks.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah missed that one ..ty for pointing that out ...but the dilemma will eventually be there ..i think

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol and my numbers where good for NL but not for AML cuz of the Dh..so make it three bench guys
8 bull pen..which adds to it lol...the dilemma...lol

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but my question is always; What constitutes a run producer? 70 RBI's? 80? 90? 100? It is a question I ask myself all the time when trying to decide if the K's are acceptable to certain hitters and not others.

That's where I get confused with the analytics and don't get them at all because they never played the sport which is why no team based on analytics has ever won a WS title...but strikeouts don't matter, but RBI's don't either so I don't know what they want.

My definition I guess would be any batter the other team would intentionally walk with runners on 1st and 3rd.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
next time play in seattle in april..and in minnesota in may is ok......lololololol..on mlb

well then on to K C..i remember john maybarry hitting a grand salamy there once
ohh well so much for..history..always a nice water feature.even then...lol

then.. As ..next weekend and astro next week..see ya then and there..lol

Yeah I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but someone was saying just make everyone play division opponents the first several weeks of the season then you don't have to deal with this crap anymore. Sure you may have postponed games, but division opponents play multiple times and can play a doubleheader whenever. The Mariners don't go back to Minneapolis this year. At least for the teams in the northern locales.

I know rainouts can happen at any time, but this isn't even the first time the Mariners have been snowed out in an early season series.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My definition I guess would be any batter the other team would intentionally walk with runners on 1st and 3rd.

Ya, good as any definition. I don't have the answer for it, but I know it when I see it. :)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one thing I don't mind about the new analytic nerds who have never played a sport in their life. They accept strikeouts are a part of baseball. I don't agree with them that a strikeout is better than a sac bunt or hitting behind a runner but strikeouts, to me, aren't a big concern if the guy is a run producer.

I agree. Additionally, a hitter with a high BB/K rate generally sees a lot more pitches which takes a toll on pitchers.