• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners/Rays trade

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners acquire Denard Span and Alex Colome from the Rays for Andrew Moore and Tommy Romero

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first report I think

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners acquire Denard Span and Alex Colome from the Rays for Andrew Moore and Tommy Romero

certainly didn't see that coming.. 2 Blown saves (albeit bad) and he's gone hmm

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about this yet.

It could be a good move for the team considering that Dee Gordon is going to play 2B until Robinson Cano comes back and we need a competent outfielder, but I'm unsure that Span will perform any better than Heredia or Gamel.

Colome gives us a decent bullpen arm, but they are a dime a dozen.

It's kind of a wash because we really didn't give up much to acquire them.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat disappointed that we used the money we're saving from Cano being suspended on Span. I don't think he will make much of a difference.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$4m buyout to get rid of Span next season. I'm unsure how the financials work but if we have to pay $4m to get rid of him, I'm not a fan.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmm... I don't know that this moves the needle much. I don't view Span as an upgrade over Heredia but probably a better option than Gamel. It really will depend on how they decide to use him.

Any help in the pen is nice.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmm... I don't know that this moves the needle much. I don't view Span as an upgrade over Heredia but probably a better option than Gamel. It really will depend on how they decide to use him.

Any help in the pen is nice.

Thing that frustrates me is I assume we're taking on his contract and I don't believe he's an upgrade over Heredia or Gamel. I was hoping we'd use the money more prudently.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about this yet.

It could be a good move for the team considering that Dee Gordon is going to play 2B until Robinson Cano comes back and we need a competent outfielder, but I'm unsure that Span will perform any better than Heredia or Gamel.

Colome gives us a decent bullpen arm, but they are a dime a dozen.

It's kind of a wash because we really didn't give up much to acquire them.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat disappointed that we used the money we're saving from Cano being suspended on Span. I don't think he will make much of a difference.
Yeah i agree with you. This wasn't how I was thinking the extra cash would be spent. I am curious how they are wanting to use Span. I hope they aren't taking AB's from Heredia because he has been playing really well.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing that frustrates me is I assume we're taking on his contract and I don't believe he's an upgrade over Heredia or Gamel. I was hoping we'd use the money more prudently.
Supposedly the Rays are sending $$, I haven't seen anything specific yet

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i agree with you. This wasn't how I was thinking the extra cash would be spent. I am curious how they are wanting to use Span. I hope they aren't taking AB's from Heredia because he has been playing really well.
I think Gamel will be the one losing playing time which is fine by me

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the way it appears. As long as Span is taking AB's from Gamel not Heredia then I'm fine with it. Colome should solidify the 8th inning role. I totally get the wanting them to spend the money wisely (which for the health of the organization they should) but the roster is built for this year, and this trade I think gives them a chance to play average during their gauntlet in June. If they can just play .500 in June they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just depends on who is pitching as to which of the three plays either gamel,heredia or span..idk on the trade yet

colome has a cutter which seattle does not have in the pin..and now does
but moore was big for tampa cuz they need more pitching depth at there AAA and he is an aspect they do not have

moore was seattle's laaaast option at starter...so they where prob going to trade him sometime
romero is from.. east florida state.. so it may be like going home for him, and tampa has said before that they wanted to add guy's to there low minors

McCaughan (to replace moore at AA)is ready to move up from modesto to arkansas ,with the mlb draft early in june..they could easily send two new starters to clinton (which would cover romeros loss)..and bumping one to modesto(which would cover McCaughn's move) ..andres torres may soon be ready at clinton(mariners best rookie at everett last year) also to cover
which would make it all good
the mariners needed help NOW..for a.. chance.. to save the.. W C race..maybe not the best trade they could have made but they are sliiim like. jim.. right now...lolol...

and they can always trade bull pen guys as well..now that they have even moore .lolol

this message will self destruct on the next depoto trade.lololol

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fri, May 25

Mariners' general manager Jerry Dipoto confirmed Friday that Denard Span will primarily play left field with the Mariners.

Advice: They'll roll with Mitch Haniger in right field, Guillermo Heredia in center and Span in left on most nights. Span also has extensive experience in center in his career though and can cover there when Heredia is not.

More: Greg Johns on Twitter

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gamel can play RF as well...but they would be messed up if they lost haniger at all...knock on a stack of wood
and they have not added HR's which is a need now that cano..is out .mariners offence may be a bit vanilla

base stealing can add runs like hr's can..but you need a balance

gordon's loss seems to hurt worse than cano's

both at the same time...is OMG

Last edited: