• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners @ Rangers April 20-22

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least Servais didnt like it, but from the article I was reading it was giving off the vibe that Dipoto didnt want to do it either, but thats speculation

I am going to stop calling it 'Mariners management' and start calling it 'Mariners mismanagement'. WTF?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least Servais didnt like it, but from the article I was reading it was giving off the vibe that Dipoto didnt want to do it either, but thats speculation

Doesn't make sense to me... Heredia has been much more productive at the plate this year vs Ichiro... Only thing I can think of is that Ichiro knows how to play RF and Heredia does not...

How many more times can Gonzales be optioned?

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't make sense to me... Heredia has been much more productive at the plate this year vs Ichiro... Only thing I can think of is that Ichiro knows how to play RF and Heredia does not...

How many more times can Gonzales be optioned?
He is out of options, and also im sure Heredia could play a much better RF at this point than Ichiro can

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That line up is fucking disgusting, wtf is Ichiro 6th?

I was wondering if anyone else would catch that. It is called 'get-a-way day' but looks more like 'give-a-way day' to me.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great chance for a sweep on the ROAD against a struggling pitcher today and that's the line up?!?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That line up is fucking disgusting, wtf is Ichiro 6th?
Something tells me that when Ichiro signed the contract there must have been verbiage in the contract that stated he would play X amount of games and NOT be optioned to T-town under most circumstances...if at all. He's not playing today to satisfy the fans because it's an away game. I could see it if we were in town but on the road?? Something just doesn't smell right with this whole Ichiro signing is all I can figure.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team looks, performs and smells like last years team! Sacks juiced with no outs up against a pitcher who's been struggling BIG TIME and we can't get even 1 run plated?? Sheeshhhhhh :frusty:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro 2 for 2...okay both balls never made the outfield but what a stud.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a nice day to get outside and do some yardwork, get the sprinkler system up and running again, kill a few dandelions, pull a few weeds in the garden, wash the car, mow the yard, set up the BBQ for the season, clean out the garage, throw the tennis ball for the dog, clean up dog poo piles, and just think about why the M's organization does some stupid things some times.....well actually lots of times. Wish Vogelbach would just try and get a hit instead of trying to go yard each at bat. Oh well, so it goes. :crazy:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogelbach 0 for 2 with 2 K's on same pitches. Again, he is a one dimensional player. DH vs RH's only. No lefties and no playing defense. If they use him right, he has some value. If they continue to insist on him doing more, it will hurt the team...but we play Ichiro so I guess hurting the team isn't a problem for them.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Greg Johns MLB.com @gregjohnsmlb
12:39 PM ET
SEATTLE -- Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto understands the negative reaction from many fans to sending outfielder Guillermo Heredia down to Triple-A Tacoma on Sunday and instead keeping aging veteran Ichiro Suzuki on the roster.

But Dipoto said keeping Ichiro at this point isn't about public relations, rather managing the 25-man roster as best as possible through some tricky scenarios.

View Full Game Coverage
"Based on the reaction, if it was about PR, we probably would have done it the other way," Dipoto said.

What the Mariners are doing is buying time to work through several unexpected occurrences. A short outing by James Paxton in Saturday's win over the Rangers prevented the club from sending down a reliever and sticking with a five-man outfield for now, as had been the plan.

Further roster decisions are pending with the return of first baseman Ryon Healy, who is rehabbing from a sprained ankle with Double-A Arkansas and expected back in a few days.

Dipoto isn't ready to jettison Ichiro yet because he sees value beyond the playing field production and wants to keep him in the organization rather than designating him for assignment at this point. The 44-year-old was hitting .212 with no extra-base hits or walks in 33 at-bats going into Sunday's start against the Rangers.

"Sometimes, managing a 25-man roster is more complicated than it seems from the outside," Dipoto said. "I don't think people realize the impact Ichiro has made in our clubhouse in one-and-a-half months in mentoring young teammates and even the older players who respect him so much.

"There has to be a balance in decisions and not solely what you see on the field. And that's not to take away from the quality of teammate Guillermo is as well. This was not an easy decision, but it's also not a permanent decision. Right now we're just doing our best to work through some choppy waters with the roster."

After facing left-hander Martin Perez in Sunday's series finale in Texas, Dipoto notes the Mariners won't face another southpaw starter for the remainder of their road trip. While Heredia has hit right-handers well in limited opportunities this season, his career line against right-handers is .225/.312/.297, as opposed to .290/.350/.411 vs. lefties.

"Outside of today, we won't see another left-hander for 10 days," Dipoto said. "That's Guillermo's niche, so he wouldn't be playing much more than late-game defense. Our thought while navigating through this is to give Guillermo the chance to play regularly and my assumption is he'll be back in 10 days."

In other words, things aren't completely settled yet with a Mariners roster that already has seen designated hitter Nelson Cruz, catcher Mike Zunino, outfielder Ben Gamel and now Ramirez return from the disabled list in the last week.

Once the pieces settle, Heredia definitely remains a part of the long-term plan. The 27-year-old has hit .310 with two homers and four RBIs in 29 at-bats in the early going and is regarded as an outstanding defender.

"This was not an easy decision and not something we love," Dipoto said. "Guillermo is a big part of what we do. We anticipate him being with us throughout the season."

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's baseball IQ = 0.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how long it's gonna take today for Servishit to figure out he needs to go to the pen and bench Ramirez? Scotty is such a dufus when it comes to managing this pitching staff.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's baseball IQ = 0.

Another example of that when Seager gets the grounder and doesn't look the runner back to 2B or just get him in a rundown. Instead he throws to 1B with 1 out and runner (the catcher) runs to 3B on the throw then scores with 2 outs on an infield hit. Zero Baseball IQ!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogelbach 0 for 2 with 2 K's on same pitches. Again, he is a one dimensional player. DH vs RH's only. No lefties and no playing defense. If they use him right, he has some value. If they continue to insist on him doing more, it will hurt the team...but we play Ichiro so I guess hurting the team isn't a problem for them.

0 for 3 with 3 K's all on inside pitches.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0 for 3 with 3 K's all on inside pitches.
That's the difference between a veteran and a rookie. A veteran will make adjustments knowing the guy is gonna throw you inside. You'd think Vogelbach would catch on or maybe Servishit or Martinez would talk to him about it. Maybe they, or someone in the dugout did say something but Voge just can't handle it. :noidea: