• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Hitting By Count

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those numbers make complete sense from what I've watch but I didn't think it was that bad.

sheesh

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder what the number from july till now are???...cuz that is when they have been the worst

and servaes is bad at working the count..........that does not surprise me

cuz managers call the plays...just like in football the coach sends in the play
or the coordinater

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and servaes is bad at working the count..........that does not surprise me
I think its not that they aren't working the count. Its that they aren't doing much with hittable pitches. They either stare at them, foul it off or with guys like Seagar just don't capitalize.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seagers numbers have been going down the last two years.....it is time for a new 3B IMO

it has to be ..at least a little from the bench..maybe not total....but they call the play ..like bunt,hit and run or swing away
or whatever
i mean ultimatly the hitter does what he does but...that is why they look to the dugout
to get a hint/or clue

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its not that they aren't working the count. Its that they aren't doing much with hittable pitches. They either stare at them, foul it off or with guys like Seagar just don't capitalize.

This is where I have a major problem with some of these new saber stats. Every team and management heads push for working counts and on-base percentage. My issue has always been you can work yourself into major holes at the plate when you play against a strike thrower. Perfect example is Dee. This past month there has been article after article about his lousy walk rate with Servais and others talking about what a concern it is. So he has gone out and watched 2 strikes down the middle then try to fight off the 3rd strike with hand swings which either are a K or a weak groundout. I think the category has killed the true problem. It isn't about taking pitches, it is about taking bad pitches. Solid strikes still have to be driven and with K rates way up you need as many swings as possible to drive the ball. I don't want Dee to become a home run swinger, but his game winner was early in the count on a good pitch and he drove it with his body. If he can do more of that and hit the gaps, then I say screw the walk rate. Seager is another taker of strikes, but that is for another day.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I have a major problem with some of these new saber stats. Every team and management heads push for working counts and on-base percentage. My issue has always been you can work yourself into major holes at the plate when you play against a strike thrower. Perfect example is Dee. This past month there has been article after article about his lousy walk rate with Servais and others talking about what a concern it is. So he has gone out and watched 2 strikes down the middle then try to fight off the 3rd strike with hand swings which either are a K or a weak groundout. I think the category has killed the true problem. It isn't about taking pitches, it is about taking bad pitches. Solid strikes still have to be driven and with K rates way up you need as many swings as possible to drive the ball. I don't want Dee to become a home run swinger, but his game winner was early in the count on a good pitch and he drove it with his body. If he can do more of that and hit the gaps, then I say screw the walk rate. Seager is another taker of strikes, but that is for another day.

This is what I do not like about the modern sabermetrics and how is has influenced the game. It is soley based on getting the starting pitcher out of the game because teams have pitch counts now. They say HR or BB but it is getting the starter to 80 pitches. It has completely taken my favorite two plays which are the hit and run and steal out of the game. Gordon leads the league with what 35 SB's? (I truly don't know but it doesn't seem like enough to lead the league). I guess I just hate the direction because pitching staffs aren't about starters anymore, it's about trying to bolster the bullpen. Sabermetrics are nice and all but no team has every won the WS based on numbers. It has always been the team with the most talent win. Even the "least talented" WS champs since moneyball, the Giants still had the best staff of the teams and the best offensive player. The best teams in baseball aren't the best they chose a collection of sabermetric guys, they have the best overall talent.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 straight 2-0 counts just now.

Cano swung at a slider off the plate

Cruz fouled off a hanging slider

Span hits a weak grounder on 2-0