• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Malcolm Mitchell on the trading block

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the 21-year old version of Kenny Britt going to help you in 2018 unless he finds a time machine? Does that mean you'd rather have Adrian Peterson than Sony Michel now since Michel probably won't have as productive of a rookie year as Peterson did?
Well the be fair no RB in this system could have and AP type year. In NE you play a role we really don't use three down backs we use three back for one down.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the be fair no RB in this system could have and AP type year. In NE you play a role we really don't use three down backs we use three back for one down.
Yeah, but I'm just giving an example of it doesn't really matter how good someone was 10 years ago when it comes to who should make the team this year.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but I'm just giving an example of it doesn't really matter how good someone was 10 years ago when it comes to who should make the team this year.
Oh I agree 100%. Every once in a while you get that 10 year vet that still has some game but it more situational. Sort of how we used Harrison last year.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the 21-year old version of Kenny Britt going to help you in 2018 unless he finds a time machine? Does that mean you'd rather have Adrian Peterson than Sony Michel now since Michel probably won't have as productive of a rookie year as Peterson did?

No.
It means you said why get rid of Mitchell for Britt who has been unproductive even with good knees.
Britt has not been Randy Moss or Julio Jones, but he has been FAR more productive than Malcolm Mitchell.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.
It means you said why get rid of Mitchell for Britt who has been unproductive even with good knees.
Britt has not been Randy Moss or Julio Jones, but he has been FAR more productive than Malcolm Mitchell.
Again, why does it matter what he did 10 years ago? My point is Mitchell is cheaper and even with risky knees is more likely to be productive from here on out. He might not be productive, but I have no faith in Britt to be productive at all at this point. Even if he did have a good season 10 years ago. So to me it seems to make more sense to keep someone younger, cheaper and with, at the very least, about the same likelihood of being productive from here on out. I'm not paying someone in 2018 just because they were productive in 2009 with another team.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, why does it matter what he did 10 years ago? My point is Mitchell is cheaper and even with risky knees is more likely to be productive from here on out. He might not be productive, but I have no faith in Britt to be productive at all at this point. Even if he did have a good season 10 years ago. So to me it seems to make more sense to keep someone younger, cheaper and with, at the very least, about the same likelihood of being productive from here on out. I'm not paying someone in 2018 just because they were productive in 2009 with another team.
It appears the Pats are not at all confident that Mitchell can play on his knees period. He has missed a heluva lot more games than he has played, that doesn't not appear to have changed. The notion the Pats are looking to shop him, (Unsubstantiated IMO) but if true team doctors have advised to pull the plug on him.

Britt on the other hand is capable and healthy. It boils down to would you rather have a capable healthy veteran or a continually IR youngster. Only one of them could give you potential playing time.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would usually completely agree, but in this case, Britt's former production combined with his physical attributes, make the case to keep him over MM who;
A) Has no knees.
B) Had zero production last year due to being knee less.
C) Has not grown new knees.

I actually would prefer MM if they had equal knees. He has his head securely on straight and is a good guy. And he has had an outstanding second half in a Superbowl when it counted.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would usually completely agree, but in this case, Britt's former production combined with his physical attributes, make the case to keep him over MM who;
A) Has no knees.

I actually would prefer MM if they had equal knees. He has his head securely on straight and is a good guy. And he has had an outstanding second half in a Superbowl when it counted.

Shoeless Joe Jackson > than Kneeless Malcom Mitchell.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Copy That.
MM's knees are obviously beyond use though. He missed the entire season last year and has had multiple procedures since. Britt makes better sense financially at this point simply because it is training camp and he can prove he deserves to be on the team. He can also prove he doesn't. MM has just proven he will not contribute.
Britt may as well. He may drop every pass thrown his way, he may blow out his knees, he may try to drive onto Westover Air Base drunk....
And if he does and gets cut or traded, he is still worth more than MM right now, at any price, because he can contribute as at least a camp body whereas MM cannot. At any price.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick was asked about Mitchell at Wednesday’s press conference and said that he would not “engage in media speculation” while adding that he hasn’t spoken to anyone regarding the team’s plans for Mitchell.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick was asked about Mitchell at Wednesday’s press conference and said that he would not “engage in media speculation” while adding that he hasn’t spoken to anyone regarding the team’s plans for Mitchell.

Ahh the media vs the dark lord and so it begins.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation is that MM will be placed on PUP and then IR for 2018. Have no idea if that means he gets to try again in 2019 or not. Might be Bob Kraft just making sure he gets a final payday.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation is that MM will be placed on PUP and then IR for 2018. Have no idea if that means he gets to try again in 2019 or not. Might be Bob Kraft just making sure he gets a final payday.
Jeppers man it seems if that's the case we might want to cut our loses on this kid. How did we miss this during the draft, those knees must be shot.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't missed, it was the reason he went in the 4th round instead of the 2nd.
Maybe not but it seems the severity of it may have been missed. The value of a 4th round pick is still pretty high, not sure we got that from him.

Then again for all we truly know, he could be better and all this is a facade.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) Has no knees.

Yeah, it has probably come across as me thinking Mitchell is better/more valuable than I really think he is. Don't get me wrong, under the circumstances I don't think he is extremely valuable. I just can't really get on board with thinking Britt has much value at this point. Enough to take a flier on? Sure. Just hard to believe he's more valuable than a talented young guy...even if that guy has an injury history.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think a SB win is worth a 4th round pick? 4th rounders really aren't all that valuable if you look past the "lottery ticket" aspect to what you can really expect to add your team from a historical perspective.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll happily spend a 4th rounder on one difference-making performance in the SB every damn year.
As a fan...He came through in the SB when we needed him and I would have paid a 1st rounder for that...at the time.
As an armchair GM...One game, even the SB I have to really think hard if the value is there.
Would a veteran be worth a 4th round pick in a trade if he were to only have one good game, even a SB???