• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M’s won’t sign lease with Safeco unless public funds 180mil

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money distribution is laid out here RCW 67.28.180: Lodging tax authorized—Conditions.

(c) From January 1, 2016, through December 31, 2020, all revenues under this section must be deposited in the stadium and exhibition center account under RCW 43.99N.060.
(d) On and after January 1, 2021, the revenues under this section must be used as follows:
(i) At least thirty-seven and one-half percent of the revenues under this section must be deposited in the special account under (e) of this subsection.
(ii) At least thirty-seven and one-half percent of the revenues under this section must be used:
(A) For contracts, loans, or grants to nonprofit organizations or public housing authorities for affordable workforce housing within one-half mile of a transit station, as described under RCW 9.91.025 or for services for homeless youth; or
(B) To repay:
(I) General obligation bonds issued pursuant to RCW 67.28.150 to finance such contracts, loans, or grants; or
(II) Revenue bonds issued pursuant to RCW 67.28.160 to finance a fund to make such contracts, loans, or grants; or
(III) Revenue bonds issued pursuant to RCW 67.28.160 to finance projects authorized by an authority under chapter 43.167 RCW to promote sustainable workplace opportunities near a community impacted by the construction or operation of tourism-related facilities.
(iii) The remainder must be used for capital or operating programs that promote tourism and attract tourists to the county.
(e) At least forty percent of the revenues distributed pursuant to (a)(i) of this subsection must be deposited in a special account. The account may only be used for the purposes of (a)(i) of this subsection.

Why would politicians think they can just change how shit is dealt out is beyond me.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah ....i gota agree........revised code of washington is law..........man...beyond me as well

im going back to sports.......LOLOL

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money distribution is laid out here RCW 67.28.180: Lodging tax authorized—Conditions.

(c) From January 1, 2016, through December 31, 2020, all revenues under this section must be deposited in the stadium and exhibition center account under RCW 43.99N.060.
(d) On and after January 1, 2021, the revenues under this section must be used as follows:
(i) At least thirty-seven and one-half percent of the revenues under this section must be deposited in the special account under (e) of this subsection.
(ii) At least thirty-seven and one-half percent of the revenues under this section must be used:
(A) For contracts, loans, or grants to nonprofit organizations or public housing authorities for affordable workforce housing within one-half mile of a transit station, as described under RCW 9.91.025 or for services for homeless youth; or
(B) To repay:
(I) General obligation bonds issued pursuant to RCW 67.28.150 to finance such contracts, loans, or grants; or
(II) Revenue bonds issued pursuant to RCW 67.28.160 to finance a fund to make such contracts, loans, or grants; or
(III) Revenue bonds issued pursuant to RCW 67.28.160 to finance projects authorized by an authority under chapter 43.167 RCW to promote sustainable workplace opportunities near a community impacted by the construction or operation of tourism-related facilities.
(iii) The remainder must be used for capital or operating programs that promote tourism and attract tourists to the county.
(e) At least forty percent of the revenues distributed pursuant to (a)(i) of this subsection must be deposited in a special account. The account may only be used for the purposes of (a)(i) of this subsection.

Why would politicians think they can just change how shit is dealt out is beyond me.

Have you been paying attention to the city and county council?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you been paying attention to the city and county council?
We don't get a ton of coverage over here, and when we do it's about Seattle city council, not King County council.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a topic... . Of which. ...... I find.....somewhat interesting but. .... then again maybe.. .. Not

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that interview as well......
And agree that his demands aren't that harsh,
But to me I thought timing was wrong, yeah at the time of the interview they were winning A's weren't on their heels ( like now) I would've waited until say October, let the season play out, team makes the playoffs then you go public about it.

I semi agree but if they waited until the offseason, and this year doesn't turn out well, it is football season and alot people will have no sympathy and it won't be even a thought on someone's mind for the November elections. There is a crap load of anger towards the Seattle City Council and King County Council right now, so to me it's a sound PR move.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I semi agree but if they waited until the offseason, and this year doesn't turn out well, it is football season and alot people will have no sympathy and it won't be even a thought on someone's mind for the November elections. There is a crap load of anger towards the Seattle City Council and King County Council right now, so to me it's a sound PR move.

They ( M's) actually came out this week and said he we ain't playing the "if we don't get our way were moving the team card"....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They ( M's) actually came out this week and said he we ain't playing the "if we don't get our way were moving the team card"....

I heard that, but maybe it's just me and my group of friends. I'm on the Mariners side on this one, Seattle and King County created a mess, they shouldn't be unethical and steal money from a tax that the Mariners already had planned in their budget.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that, but maybe it's just me and my group of friends. I'm on the Mariners side on this one, Seattle and King County created a mess, they shouldn't be unethical and steal money from a tax that the Mariners already had planned in their budget.

No I 100% agree with you...
They planned this stadium a long time ago and had it basically set for a success story for both the city and the franchise.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mind you the SoDo arena group was PRIVATELY FUNDED. The M’s did everything in their power to block that move. Now, they have the audacity to pull a threat to not sign a lease that they agreed to unless the public funds 180mil? Tickets, concessions, ball park parkings should be enough to fund whatever they needed. Just plain greedy. You’ve got to be shitting me.

Sums up why this team has been dog shit since forever ... They don’t care about the community, it’s all about $ period ...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck em'. Maybe we can get rid of the whole shit load of them if they don't renew their lease. Talk about a bunch of shit. All the money those turds make off the fans and they don't want to pay the maintenance? Maybe they'll move their asses to Portland before Oakland gets the chance to. I've about had it with the organization anyway. Worse record for playoffs in ALL professional sports.:doh:

:trash: :trash::trash::trash::trash::trash:
:kissass::kissass::kissass::kissass:

Then Oakland and Billy Bean will move to Seattle if that happened... I'd be happy with that...

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be beating a dead horse, but it sounds like the M's have planted themselves on the issue of the 180 mil, saying if the county doesn't provide the bucks, they will consider leaving Seattle. I might be flying solo on this issue, but as far as I am concerned, good-bye to the lot of them- just be sure and turn off your LED lights on your way out of town (and take your bobble heads with you). Tax payers paid for that stadium that gave an opportunity to a private-for-profit business to make a bundle of money and they want the County to pay what they say are maintenance costs so they can keep making money? Give us team owners who put up a World Series caliber team instead of the bullshit teams we've had for several years and I might feel a little different about this. What a monopoly these current owners enjoy. I'm not implying the Mariners don't give back to the community, because they definately do. But enough freebee tax payer dollars have already fallen onto their laps and into their pockets IMO. Go ahead and take your team to another city and see what kind of deal you can strike up and then drain those fan's money.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be beating a dead horse, but it sounds like the M's have planted themselves on the issue of the 180 mil, saying if the county doesn't provide the bucks, they will consider leaving Seattle. I might be flying solo on this issue, but as far as I am concerned, good-bye to the lot of them- just be sure and turn off your LED lights on your way out of town (and take your bobble heads with you). Tax payers paid for that stadium that gave an opportunity to a private-for-profit business to make a bundle of money and they want the County to pay what they say are maintenance costs so they can keep making money? Give us team owners who put up a World Series caliber team instead of the bullshit teams we've had for several years and I might feel a little different about this. What a monopoly these current owners enjoy. I'm not implying the Mariners don't give back to the community, because they definately do. But enough freebee tax payer dollars have already fallen onto their laps and into their pockets IMO. Go ahead and take your team to another city and see what kind of deal you can strike up and then drain those fan's money.

Leave.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even get me started on this subject when it comes to the Bolshevik scum on these councils and how their managing the city based on a bunch of no-vote decrees and bumper stick slogans like wealth inequality, white privilege, social justice, and resistance.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything about this is so Mariners and a perfect time for a poor month.

The public already spent around $350 million for Safeco in 90s, you are about to have your 17th straight season of no playoffs with the latest involving an incredible collapse, and across town you have a publicly owned arena being rebuilt for NHL (and hopefully NBA) with all-private money.

Perfect time to ask for $180 million dollars with everything else going on in the city.

I will never go as far to say I want the team to leave but my god.

They already lose fans by the day and if Portland were ever to get a team they would lose an even bigger chunk of fans.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the public fund this underachieving franchise?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the public fund this underachieving franchise?

Because Safeco Field is actually a public asset. If the public doesn't contribute like they agreed upon prior to the tax passing then the Mariners should get all the proceeds. They didn't receive anything from Pearl Jam or any other concerts. The council's can't have their cake and eat it to.