• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lost in Space (reboot)

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a pile of garbage.

My son and I saw a preview for this when we went to see Ready Player One on Easter. We were excited that a new series was coming out that would seemingly feed our nerdy sci-fi addicted selves.

We made it thru 2 episodes....no idea how or why, though. Boredom, I guess. The acting is horrific. The dialogue and direction are rife with every cliche’ known to man. The plot is a mess. It jumps around all over the place. It’s unwatchable. What a shame.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was debating checking this out and feared everything you said. Thanks for the heads up, will pass.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, it's fine. Not setting the world on fire. But not near as bad as the OP says.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's like the original?

Was never my show.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they still have.....

pypV1cQ.gif

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coincidentally, I've been watching the original series recently. The video above must be from the 1st season, which was b&w. I'm almost through those; the rest of the seasons are color. The episode I watched the other day featured Royal Dano as a somewhat aloof alien leader - miscast of comical proportion.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why so serious, lost in space?

This is perfectly mediocre but made for someone else. 1 episode was enough for me.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were expecting crappy camp like the original?

Meh. It's fine. Episodic TV on cable but viewable by the whole family.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a pile of garbage.

My son and I saw a preview for this when we went to see Ready Player One on Easter. We were excited that a new series was coming out that would seemingly feed our nerdy sci-fi addicted selves.

We made it thru 2 episodes....no idea how or why, though. Boredom, I guess. The acting is horrific. The dialogue and direction are rife with every cliche’ known to man. The plot is a mess. It jumps around all over the place. It’s unwatchable. What a shame.
They changed writers after the second episode and kept that group for the rest of the run. It gets better from episode 3 on, but it isn't fantastic but watchable. Might want to give it 2 more episodes.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way it ended is kinda interesting and if it makes it to a season 2 things should be a lot better.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take on the robot.

Only two episodes in, but I wouldn't say it's terrible.
Room for improvement, sure, so I'll watch a few more.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were expecting crappy camp like the original?

Meh. It's fine. Episodic TV on cable but viewable by the whole family.
Hoping for good camp. I wasn't a huge fan of the original.

The wife had this on in the background. I think she saw 3 episodes while I was messing around on the internet. This reminds me more of Mass Effect Andromeda than anything else. Space sucks and everything is trying to kill you: the show. Id say it also reminds me of the boring parts of the Walking Dead with how they set up some of the character interactions.

The female characters are distinctly more interesting than the male characters. Not a deal breaker but there are some weird decisions on making the female characters dynamic and interesting and the male characters into stereotypes.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping for good camp. I wasn't a huge fan of the original.

The wife had this on in the background. I think she saw 3 episodes while I was messing around on the internet. This reminds me more of Mass Effect Andromeda than anything else. Space sucks and everything is trying to kill you: the show. Id say it also reminds me of the boring parts of the Walking Dead with how they set up some of the character interactions.

The female characters are distinctly more interesting than the male characters. Not a deal breaker but there are some weird decisions on making the female characters dynamic and interesting and the male characters into stereotypes.

For Will being 10, I thought he was pretty layered. How deep can you be at 10? His father, I suspect, will see more development as the show goes on. I thought they did an okay job having him be the military guy who is trying not to treat his family like lower ranking soldiers.

As for Mass Effect, space is bad, really? Isn't that sort of the deal? In the original it was 'DANGER Will Robinson, not, 'don't worry be happy Will Robinson.'

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Will being 10, I thought he was pretty layered. How deep can you be at 10? His father, I suspect, will see more development as the show goes on. I thought they did an okay job having him be the military guy who is trying not to treat his family like lower ranking soldiers.

As for Mass Effect, space is bad, really? Isn't that sort of the deal? In the original it was 'DANGER Will Robinson, not, 'don't worry be happy Will Robinson.'
I like space adventure mixed in with my space survival. I wasn't watching the 3 episodes too closely so I might've been a few things.

Male characters across the board seemed lacking. Military Dad did military dad stuff. Scared son did scared son stuff. Trusting badass was too trusting and too badass. I think there was a side character that was sexually aggressive and killed without ever developing into anything else. There was the leader of the Space Colony who apparently didn't set up a justice system for some reason and thats all I saw of him. I think thats every male character I remember and I can sum each one up in two words.

The black girl had an entire character arc and a rivalry with sarcastic girl. The mom seems to have a complex relationship with everyone although she is pretty squarely a mom character despite her high level sciencing and country girl background. The Dr Smith character basically hi-jacked the whole show. Not really a complaint but the pacing is all over the place.

Like I said originally: It seems perfectly mediocre but for someone else.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with people thinking it's 'mediocre.' It's not going to be for everybody. Hell, I'm certainly not putting it in 'Expanse' territory, or even 'Altered Carbon,' let alone Westworld's rarified air.

I thought they swung and missed with Parker Posey. Her character was CERTAINLY way too shallow, and didn't have much motivation beyond, 'Hey I'm a wannabe nihilist, and must survive!'

But it's trying to be family viewing that won't bore the shit out of adults. Because of the family stop sign, it'll suffer from some of the same contraints that network TV shows do.

I'm not seeing all the 'oh noes, where have all the male role models gone?' you seem to be seeing though. The most shallow character on the show is female.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not seeing all the 'oh noes, where have all the male role models gone?' you seem to be seeing though. The most shallow character on the show is female.
Thats not really what I personally am getting at. Most of the male characters are role models of sorts.

I just think they're cardboard cutouts with no thought put into them. They're just there to set up the female characters which admittedly is what the majority of movies do with female characters but its still pretty lame.

I had no idea Parker Posey was Umbriel in Futurama. Good stuff. I feel like they almost don't know what to do with her in this. A contrast to her character done right would be Yara Martinez' character Ms Lint in 'The Tick'. I realize the tone is completely different but she is awesome as a character somewhere inbetween a villain and a normal person. Parker Posey just...lingers...in every scene. Its odd.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not really what I personally am getting at. Most of the male characters are role models of sorts.

I just think they're cardboard cutouts with no thought put into them. They're just there to set up the female characters which admittedly is what the majority of movies do with female characters but its still pretty lame.

I had no idea Parker Posey was Umbriel in Futurama. Good stuff. I feel like they almost don't know what to do with her in this. A contrast to her character done right would be Yara Martinez' character Ms Lint in 'The Tick'. I realize the tone is completely different but she is awesome as a character somewhere inbetween a villain and a normal person. Parker Posey just...lingers...in every scene. Its odd.

I'd agree with your premise this much: the characters driving season 1 are the Mother and the 1 daughter. Women characters used as a plot device to spur character development in Men's characters is not new. So the shoe is a 'bit' on the other foot a few times? Meh.

Like I say, they DID flesh out the father character, but I suspect his upcoming arcs will be more front and center. We'll see.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with your premise this much: the characters driving season 1 are the Mother and the 1 daughter. Women characters used as a plot device to spur character development in Men's characters is not new. So the shoe is a 'bit' on the other foot a few times? Meh.

Like I say, they DID flesh out the father character, but I suspect his upcoming arcs will be more front and center. We'll see.
I've stopped watching it but the wife likes it enough to finish it up. She says the only thing she doesn't like is that Will Robinson isn't a genius and failed his tests. I must have missed that.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a fun show. Way better than the OP states.

Season 2 looks to be fun as well. Not sure how the Robot makes it through the worm hole.